British Speedway Forum
False dawn

How Many Of Us Have Not Lost Interest?

Well I like a sense of balance.

Ban the Aussies or work with them for our future.

Write off the Bees due to 17 different conspiracy theories or have some faith and trust in the efforts of those who are trying to actually do something.

Slag off the BSPA or slag off the BSPA. Oh well some things are unfixable. Just kidding.

I'm not unique but I do have a say. And having supported the same club for nearly 50 years (in this run anyway) I will have my say.

I now don't have a club, maybe forever. A sad day indeed. But there are others nearby. Leicester. Are you kidding? Due to a temporary place of residence, once upon a time, I used to go to Blackbird Road and support the opposition every Tuesday. And there are others. But none of them are "mine".

And so it's over. I give up on this once great sport. I stop caring who is and is going to be World Champion. The playoffs? Who cares? What's happening on the IOW? Couldn't give a damn. And this forum, I have been missing for a year or three so it's without meaning.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and 10x wrong.

My interest in Speedway, British and elsewhere is stronger now than ever. I savour the GPs, I look forward to the next SEC round (well I am beating the bookie), the playoffs are fascinating and the AGM can't come soon enough. Oh and when they build our new stadium (with my help) I'll be the first one on the 4th bend shouting for my club against all comers.

You have to know when you're well off.

• Like 1

Oh there still a fair few care….much to the disappointed of a few who frequent this forum!

​I place myself among those who have NOT lost interest in speedway. I keenly follow the overseas results and also historical references to the sport. What I have lost interest in is the organisation and running of British speedway - especially the shambles (my opinion!) that has developed over the past 15 or so seasons.

So far as actual races are concerned, speedway is as vibrant and entertaining as ever it was. What has gone wrong is the organisation side of the sport.

An accompanying thread is titled as How Many of Us Are losing interest? IMO that should have added 'In British Speedway'. That is the KEY to the thread IMO.

Edited by Guest

I continue to attend, support and sponsor. I much prefer team speedway as the SGP and other competitions with the 'top' riders do not guarantee decent racing.

​I place myself among those who have NOT lost interest in speedway. I keenly follow the overseas results and also historical references to the sport. What I have lost interest in is the organisation and running of British speedway - especially the shambles (my opinion!) that has developed over the past 15 or so seasons.

So far as actual races are concerned, speedway is as vibrant and entertaining as ever it was. What has gone wrong is the organisation side of the sport.

An accompanying thread is titled as How Many of Us Are losing interest? IMO that should have added 'In British Speedway'. That is the KEY to the thread IMO.

Classic Gustix, telling the OP what the thread is about and what they should have titled it!?!

Find it interesting that someone who last watched a meeting 12 years ago and says they turned off the last GP they watched 5 years ago because they didn't know any of the riders, purports to still have an interest in the sport and "follow overseas results closely."

• Like 1

I continue to attend, support and sponsor. I much prefer team speedway as the SGP and other competitions with the 'top' riders do not guarantee decent racing.

Years of following Speedway have informed me that no particular form of meeting can GUARENTEE 'decent' racing.

But I think it is impossible to have watched the SGP for the past few years and not been impressed with the consistently brilliant racing.

Far better than decent.

In my opinion.

• Like 3

historical references to the sport

And in regard to my own quote (above) this topic 'How Many Of Us Have Not Lost Interest?' is also too generalised. It should have made an emphasis on British speedway and not the sport as a whole. I am among those who '...Have Not Lost Interest?' but i have in the present status of speedway in Britain.

Edited by Guest

And in regard to my own quote (above) this topic 'How May Of Us Have Not Lost Interest?' is also too generalised. It should have made an emphasis on British speedway and not the sport as a whole. I am song those who '...Have Not Lost Interest?' but i have in the present status of speedway in Britain.

I think you ought to edit out a few mistakes there. 'may' and 'song' for instance.

historical references to the sport

Your attendance at a meeting!!

Can you be more explicit please Hacksaw Jim Duggan in regard to my quote which you have replied to in regard to meeting attendances. Sadly, you have confused me (...and that some will say is quite easy to do! )

I think you ought to edit out a few mistakes there. 'may' and 'song' for instance.

That 'ruddy Predictive' element on here. I will edit the original quote. Thank you foamfence.

And in regard to my own quote (above) this topic 'How Many Of Us Have Not Lost Interest?' is also too generalised. It should have made an emphasis on British speedway and not the sport as a whole. I am among those who '...Have Not Lost Interest?' but i have in the present status of speedway in Britain.

​Hopefully this is a corrected version of the unedited quote. Thank you for drawing attention to it foamfence.

I haven't been to watch my team for a couple of months on their home track, and only once away in that time. I've totally lost interest in watchin live speedway.

Edited by baldyman

Because of my job I very rarely get to watch live Speedway. However when I do and when I watch the sport on the TV I think the racing is as good if not better than any I have seen in the best part of 50 years since I first saw Speedway. There are good, poor and the odd great meeting same as there always were, same as there are with any sport.

I've always liked individual Speedway and think the GP's in general are incredible, for sure there are times the tracks or weather don't allow the riders to show their skills and that is frustrating but overall the standard of riding is amazing.

The BSPA might do some daft things but in the main they are the people who are investing their money to keep the sport going and much of the criticism is from people who refuse to see the practical side of their suggestions.

Simple example is the seemingly obvious suggestion to prepare tracks for good, entertaining racing. However the evidence is that if the home side is beaten by two points in a great match the crowds will drop but if they keep winning by 20 points the crowds will improve.

The real bane of this sport is the rose tinted glasses brigade now having a place to constantly talk it down in my opinion.

• Like 3

Lost interest? No way. Annoyed, disillusioned, frustrated? God yes.

A good GP is the best sporting entertainment in the World IMO.

Will I moan and bitch about it? Yes, because I care. I wish I could just not bother, stop watching, not get annoyed because then my life would be better but I do care and for that reason I'l continue to find fault and suggest alternatives until it's being done right.

This is my thread. The idea was to give folks who have a genuine love for the sport (British or otherwise) somewhere to discuss what's good about it. There is at least one (dozen) threads where you can have a moan. That's your right (and mine at times). Here is the good news.