British Speedway Forum
False dawn

How Many Of Us Have Not Lost Interest?

The thread title IMO needs clarifying. It is given as 'How Many Of Us Have Not Lost Interest?'

IMO not many Posters have lost interest in the ACTUAL RACING side of speedway which is, by and large, in my understanding, fairly competitive.

What many people have lost interest in is the ORGANISATIONAL side of speedway.

Edited by Guest

This is my thread. The idea was to give folks who have a genuine love for the sport (British or otherwise) somewhere to discuss what's good about it. There is at least one (dozen) threads where you can have a moan. That's your right (and mine at times). Here is the good news.

Don't those who criticise (often constructively) also have a 'genuine love for the sport'? People have different points of view and aspirations, if we were all nodding dogs the whole forum would die.

• Like 2

This is my thread. The idea was to give folks who have a genuine love for the sport (British or otherwise) somewhere to discuss what's good about it. There is at least one (dozen) threads where you can have a moan. That's your right (and mine at times). Here is the good news.

There are still alot of positives about the sport at its best it is as good as anything speedway is also about meeting up with a couple of friends chewing the fat about the sport and having have a pint or two.Can the sport recover in this country i think so with the right vision a tough job but the potential of this sport is huge.For me seeing younger riders come through is what i enjoy the most hopefully English but i dont mind what nationality.Last week for example young Alfie Bowtell rode for the Budgies in reality with his limited experience he should of been out of his depth but he acquitted himself very well good on a bike and under pressure got a great point to beat Greaves.That point really got some of the crowd going a young English lad riding his balls off he is someone the fans can relate to and i hope he pushes on in his career and fair play to Newcastle for showing real faith in him.So yes it is still a great sport and there is still alot to like about it fingers crossed British speedway can improve all three leagues working closely TOGETHER ( Pigs might fly .😜) Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Despite the all the problems - watching riders power full speed round the boards at Belle Vue...wow! - it's still the 2nd greatest thrill on earth...!

What's the first!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't lost interest. If I had, I would not waste my time on this Forum.

I have totally lost faith in the way the Sport is run though - and that plus Double Points is my problem.

Four Riders on the Track = GREAT!!!

Rules (some of them), the way the Sport is run = CRAP!!!

Sorry but that is my honest feelings.

• Like 2

Personally I've not lost interest, far from it, just not interested enough to attend much anymore. Recently I got into a YouTube link clicking session and was watching some of video from the early 80's, which is the era of the sport that first got me really hooked and I have to say it was no where near as good as I remembered it to be. I think part of the problem is that the GP's are so entertaining these days the BL looks so poor in comparison when you see what it could be

I haven't lost interest. If I had, I would not waste my time on this Forum.

I have totally lost faith in the way the Sport is run though - and that plus Double Points is my problem.

Four Riders on the Track = GREAT!!!

Rules (some of them), the way the Sport is run = CRAP!!!

Sorry but that is my honest feelings.

Yes,but you have told us on numerous threads and already on this thread before.We understand you won't go because of the rules you don't like and even meetings or the league where that rule doesn't apply,you still don't seem to go either!!!!.

Personally i am a bit like iainb,in that i still have interest and still theoretically would go,but often there is something of higher priority,like family that comes in the way.I also have the problem now that there is no way i would even think of getting in the car if the weather is anything less than prefect.Plus i drive 25 miles to work back and forth every week day and because of the years of road works often sit in traffic jams and have no intention of doing the same at the weekends.Added to that my work place moved a few years back a further hour(at least) away from Denmark.I used to travel up after work to Vojens,Holsted or even Esbjerg+Outrup.Now the extra hour+ makes it very difficult and i just don't feel up to it.Vojens(my nearest Danish track pulling out of the league also made things that bit more difficult

I did make it up to Holsted last month,during my holidays.I took a steady drive up the coast and took in some scenery on the way.Weather was perfect and i enjoyed the day even though the speedway wasn't that great.I would have gone to a few more meetings during the season,but as with tonights meeting in Güstrow,the weather has been crap the last few days and i just haven't got the enthusiasm to drive to see a meeting probably affected by the weather and then drive back on a dark and rainy night

Hope to make at least one meeting before the season ends,but as so often,when the time comes something else might seem the better option.I am not a lost cause and one great meeting would probably bring the enthusiasm back and if i had a track like Güstrow or Holsted/Esbjerg just down the road like Plough Lane used to be i would i think have definitely been to a few more meetings by now.......

• Like 1

Yes,but you have told us on numerous threads and already on this thread before.We understand you won't go because of the rules you don't like and even meetings or the league where that rule doesn't apply,you still don't seem to go either!!!!.

Personally i am a bit like iainb,in that i still have interest and still theoretically would go,but often there is something of higher priority,like family that comes in the way.I also have the problem now that there is no way i would even think of getting in the car if the weather is anything less than prefect.Plus i drive 25 miles to work back and forth every week day and because of the years of road works often sit in traffic jams and have no intention of doing the same at the weekends.Added to that my work place moved a few years back a further hour(at least) away from Denmark.I used to travel up after work to Vojens,Holsted or even Esbjerg+Outrup.Now the extra hour+ makes it very difficult and i just don't feel up to it.Vojens(my nearest Danish track pulling out of the league also made things that bit more difficult

I did make it up to Holsted last month,during my holidays.I took a steady drive up the coast and took in some scenery on the way.Weather was perfect and i enjoyed the day even though the speedway wasn't that great.I would have gone to a few more meetings during the season,but as with tonights meeting in Güstrow,the weather has been crap the last few days and i just haven't got the enthusiasm to drive to see a meeting probably affected by the weather and then drive back on a dark and rainy night

Hope to make at least one meeting before the season ends,but as so often,when the time comes something else might seem the better option.I am not a lost cause and one great meeting would probably bring the enthusiasm back and if i had a track like Güstrow or Holsted/Esbjerg just down the road like Plough Lane used to be i would i think have definitely been to a few more meetings by now.......

Yes I would agree with some of that.

Having left Oxford (I'll mention it again) I was so engrossed in doing up a property and finding work and exploring the surrounding countryside that speedway got pushed into the background. Other interests kicked in and took my attention and my other half had no interest whatsoever in the sport so I had to be diplomatic and concentrate on more pressing engagements.

However one can not just ignore the fact that speedway was a big part of my life and I still hold an interest but not enough to travel a distance to watch somebody else's team. If a team started up in York who knows (a trial long track meeting apparently was held down the road at Green Hammerton once) but it's unlikely to happen.

However I still talk and meet people (I spoke to a decorator who knew Andy Smith and his family) who either used to go or still go and the conversations always prove entertaining and informative.

I've got to know Ian Cartwright and have spoken to his son Simon, on occasions, and it's aways educational viewing the sport from a riders' perspective.

I am not interested in the GP Series...but I wasn't interested in that when I used to go and only saw the disruption it caused to the domestic programme.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

So there are tracks in Denmark that don't provide particularly entertaining speedway too then? What's being done, do they need to have their shape changed?

So there are tracks in Denmark that don't provide particularly entertaining speedway too then? What's being done, do they need to have their shape changed?

Tbh i don't think Danish tracks are particularly good.Mads has complained about them and the recent winner of the world 250cc title said Danish tracks are often stone hard...But that isn't really the problem for me.It was imo the change from 6 rider teams to 5 rider teams that made everything more predictable(before for instance Holsted had both Nicki and Niels in their team.To save money it was either, or).The number 1 from both teams meet each other a few times and if say Nicki or Hans is on form then they often win each heat against the other no.1 and the same happens for the no.3 or no.5 etc.I was fairly certain who would win the meeting i attended and even said so on here.Still,i knew it was one of very few chances i would get,so i still drove the 2 hours or so up and back

Güstrow is the best track near me,and that is around the same distance.But Denmark is easier for me really as it is one straight motorway,5 mins from where i live.To get to Güstrow,Teterow and Wittstock or even further Stralsund is quite a bit f hassle traffic wise

Edited by iris123