British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Crystal Palace 1939 Season

There are brief recollections of possibly an equally brief 1939 season of Crystal Palace as a National League Division Two to be found by research. I wondered if there was a concise record to be found?

Can any Poster provide a definitive guide in regard to the build up for that season, what happened during the team's brief stay in the sport, and a list of riders associated with the team at that time?

Thank you for any information that can be provided.

As a starter guide I have traced this as a BASIC list of riders who rode for the team:

NATIONAL LEAGUE, DIVISION TWO

CRYSTAL PALACE -- Division Two (withdrew) - Charlie Appleby, Charlie Challis, Ron Clarke, Keith Harvey, Bob Lovell, Mick Mitchell, Les Trim, Vic Weir, Ernie Pawson, George Liddle, Austin Humphries, Charlie Page, George Gower, George Dykes, Eddie 'Flash' Barker.

Edited by Guest

There are brief recollections of possibly an equally brief 1939 season of Crystal Palace as a National League Division Two to be found by research. I wondered if there was a concise record to be found?

Can any Poster provide a definitive guide in regard to the build up for that season, what happened during the team's brief stay in the sport, and a list of riders associated with the team at that time?

As a starter guide I have traced this as a BASIC list of riders who rode for the team:

CRYSTAL PALACE -- Division Two (withdrew) - Charlie Appleby, Charlie Challis, Ron Clarke, Keith Harvey, Bob Lovell, Mick Mitchell, Les Trim, Vic Weir, Ernie Pawson, George Liddle, Austin Humphries, Charlie Page, George Gower, George Dykes, Eddie 'Flash' Barker.

Crystal Palace competed in the Second Division in 1939 along with Bristol, Hackney Middlesborough, Newcastle, Norwich, Sheffield and Stoke. They completed 10 league matches (won 1, lost 9 ) as well as riding 6 matches (won 1, lost 5) in the English Speedway Trophy before closing in July due to falling attendances. There were rumours of the club transferring to Edinburgh to complete the season, but this never happened, and their record was expunged from the league. Likewise Middlesborough were rumoured to move to Glasgow but that fell through and they closed, while Stoke finished the season at Belle Vue.

Edited by HertsRacer

Looking at the 1939 list of Crystal Palace riders in a previous thread, in the immediate post-war seasons 1946 and 1947 at some time I saw the following in action: Ron Clarke, Keith Harvey, Mick Mitchell, George Gower.

Just to add that Alf Markham made four appearances in the English Speedway Trophy and Fred Wiseman appeared once. Also in the league Bronco Slade rode in the home meeting against Middlesborough.

Also Harry Saunders appeared twice in the English Speedwy Trophy.

Edited by HertsRacer

Just to add that Alf Markham made four appearances in the English Speedway Trophy and Fred Wiseman appeared once. Also in the league Bronco Slade rode in the home meeting against Middlesborough.

Also Harry Saunders appeared twice in the English Speedwy Trophy.

Bernard 'Bronco' Slade was also in action at Crystal Palace during the 1960s - racing on the big circuit in karts.