British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

Having just read this week's speedway star I have to give credit to Phil for encapsulating the problems the BSPA presently face.

I have often criticised the publication for sitting on the fence but this article is in my opinion what is needed to highlight the issues in public and open up debate further which in turn will hopefully help the sport.

I hope more articles will follow in the coming weeks.

• Like 7

Having just read this week's speedway star I have to give credit to Phil for encapsulating the problems the BSPA presently face.

I have often criticised the publication for sitting on the fence but this article is in my opinion what is needed to highlight the issues in public and open up debate further which in turn will hopefully help the sport.

I agree fully. At what is the 55th minute of the final hour of speedway, as we know it - the SS editorial is most welcome. Please let it be heard and fully understood by all the UK promoters - including the long established "senior" ones. Listen to all ideas before rejecting them and make every effort as do the IOW do, to sell, what people want to buy.

IT would be nice to think they will not be needed but not holding my breath. Thanks for your comments.

• Like 1

IT would be nice to think they will not be needed but not holding my breath. Thanks for your comments.

good piece in SS but after seeing the riders responses to the twitter poll I don't think the riders are listening and I think for the bspa to listen they have got to go against the riders wishes , is that going to happen ? Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Think it was a good article covering the topics that need remedied,but finding the answers is the hardest part.Personaly think they will concentrate on Top League which is not the answer to help revive the sport in this country.We as fans will just have to sit back as see what they come up with.

Yes a very good assessment of the situation and possible routes to some solutions.

But probably pointless if one hears the blinkered self interests of riders.

Most of whom are listened to by promoters despite their, generally, limited intellect.

Edited by Grand Central

good piece in SS but after seeing the riders responses to the twitter poll I don't think the riders are listening and I think for the bspa to listen they have got to go against the riders wishes , is that going to happen ?

Who the hell runs the Sport ?, Im sorry to say it shouldnt be the riders, It should be the promoters who provide the opportunity for the fans to come and watch the Teams that the riders ride for "Teams" is the most important word in all of this, i dont want to watch "rider for hire merchants" if they dont like it then bugger off, these are the rules if you dont like them they know what to do, we managed before without having doubling up we can manage again, it may be that the Sport has to take a step back before it can move forward again.

• Like 8

Who the hell runs the Sport ?, Im sorry to say it shouldnt be the riders, It should be the promoters who provide the opportunity for the fans to come and watch the Teams that the riders ride for "Teams" is the most important word in all of this, i dont want to watch "rider for hire merchants" if they dont like it then bugger off, these are the rules if you dont like them they know what to do, we managed before without having doubling up we can manage again, it may be that the Sport has to take a step back before it can move forward again.

i disagree - it should be a body independent of the promoters

• Like 4

The problems have been there for many years, and articles stating the obvious come sadly too late.

I don't think many of the problems highlighted would be particularly difficult to solve if there was a collective will amongst the promoters. It would be very easy to work how many riders there are, and therefore how many there are to go around without having to double-up. Then you could quite easily come-out with ways to put these riders into competitive teams - whether in a single or two league setup.

The issue of race nights could probably be resolved with some will and that might reduce fixtures clashes with other leagues, but ultimately you probably need to tell the riders to pick where they're going to ride and stick with those that can commit to a full fixture list. It's absolutely ridiculous to be having gaps in the fixture list during the prime months of the season.

The difficult part is getting the fans back, but that's certainly not going to happen whilst the sport continues to be organised in a farcical manner.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 9

The problems have been there for many years, and articles stating the obvious come sadly too late.I don't think many of the problems highlighted would be particularly difficult to solve if there was a collective will amongst the promoters. It would be very easy to work how many riders there are, and therefore how many there are to go around without having to double-up. Then you could quite easily come-out with ways to put these riders into competitive teams - whether in a single or two league setup.The issue of race nights could probably be resolved with some will and that might reduce fixtures clashes with other leagues, but ultimately you probably need to tell the riders to pick where they're going to ride and stick with those that can commit to a full fixture list. It's absolutely ridiculous to have gaps in the fixture list during the prime months of the season.The difficult part is getting the fans back, but that's certainly not going to happen whilst the sport continues to be organised in a farcical manner.

I agree,if there was a will to co- operate among Promoters,unfortunately can't see that ever happening.The one that doesn't get his way at the Conference just threatens to go away in the huff.
  • Like 1

Who the hell runs the Sport ?.

the riders. Roberts lamberts piece in the star today , the one league 18 teams running on set days would be the perfect thing for him as it would be for worrall if he could only see it Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

I bet the riders would prefer to ride in one league than join the rest of us doing mundane jobs putting in 10 or 12 hour days day after day.

• Like 3

The problems have been there for many years, and articles stating the obvious come sadly too late.I don't think many of the problems highlighted would be particularly difficult to solve if there was a collective will amongst the promoters. It would be very easy to work how many riders there are, and therefore how many there are to go around without having to double-up. Then you could quite easily come-out with ways to put these riders into competitive teams - whether in a single or two league setup.The issue of race nights could probably be resolved with some will and that might reduce fixtures clashes with other leagues, but ultimately you probably need to tell the riders to pick where they're going to ride and stick with those that can commit to a full fixture list. It's absolutely ridiculous to be having gaps in the fixture list during the prime months of the season.The difficult part is getting the fans back, but that's certainly not going to happen whilst the sport continues to be organised in a farcical manner.

Spot on...

The Promoters surely realise that whoever wins meetings and Leagues under the current Mickey Mouse way the sport is ran that any 'victory' isn't worth having...

And therefore why should fans attend such contrived nonsense...

Instead of contriving each meeting with any random selection of riders they would be far better advised working together and 'contriving teams' of relative equal strengths, planning in a fixture list well in advance of other Leagues and giving riders a 'take it or leave it' ultimatum..

If they can get two Leagues of ten teams then a DU gets a minimum 72 meetings a season, if teams meet twice home and away..

If that's not enough for any rider then they need to stand aside and let the many behind them who do take their place..