British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

me sarcastic ...Never :lol: . Don't think Mr Rising is going to be happy though , single race night means the return of his favourite German

BERT Harkins' wife Edith riding a speedway bike. Surely not...

• Like 1

Where does this illusion come from that GP riders will put something like 1,000 on the gate. It didn't happen with Holder at KL or Cook (soon to be GP) at Workington and going back people like Jonnson at Lakeside or even Pedersen N at Eastbourne couldn't do it. All the greedy GP riders want is a convenient night to earn some extra cash whilst testing their bikes (their best equipment will still be based in Poland where they receive 4 to 10 times the money).

The crowds in the 70s and 80s were because teams had riders that related only to their team and a continuity of race night (Hackneys mantra was "make it a date, Friday at 8").

1) Each team can choose its own race night

2) Teams ride regularly, preferably every week. As mentioned above I have yet to see evidence that GP riders justify their wages by increased gates so commit to UK or use the door marked EXIT.

3) No double up riders. if riders are not good enough to be invited to Sweden or Poland and they cannot entice enough fans to watch their team, then its time for riders get a job during the winter. I remember top Championship riders fixing their bikes to the back of a car no great big vans in those days.

• Like 5

I did as well- it was Amsterdam :lol: remember getting soaked leaving the stadium- Saturday night ?

I remember it well. Getting the tram to the stadium, Worrying about a rain off and being shocked at how cheap it was to get in! Edited by cityrebel

FIXED RACE NIGHTS

Surely if it's fixed race nights next season it should be:

Premier league Wednesdays & Fridays. Why Mondays - that would mean Poland Sunday, U.K. Monday, Sweden Tuesday for the top names that you hope will be keen to ride in the UK in 2018, some weeks you can add a GP on the Saturday to that rota!

Championship league Thursdays & Saturdays. That will mean all the double uppers we all will not have to be in 2 places on the same night.

Conference league. Sundays & some Mondays.

I remember it well. Getting the tram to the stadium, Worrying about a rain off and being shocked at how cheap it was to get in!

It wasn`t cheap to get in some of the places we went to that weekend :lol:

• Like 1

FIXED RACE NIGHTS

Surely if it's fixed race nights next season it should be:

Premier league Wednesdays & Fridays. Why Mondays - that would mean Poland Sunday, U.K. Monday, Sweden Tuesday for the top names that you hope will be keen to ride in the UK in 2018, some weeks you can add a GP on the Saturday to that rota!

Championship league Thursdays & Saturdays. That will mean all the double uppers we all will not have to be in 2 places on the same night.

Conference league. Sundays & some Mondays.

Friday nights on GP weekends means the GP riders will be missing because of practice.

Friday nights on GP weekends means the GP riders will be missing because of practice.

But hopefully there won't be any anyway so it won't be a problem. I've got a better idea each track keep their current selected race night if they wish but get someone in who understands how to arrange the fixtures to avoid clashes between the Premiership and Championship. Rain-offs apart this shouldn't be that difficult ~ I bet SCB could do it. If riders want to be in Poland or SEC meetings etc., then don't bother employing them to ride in the UK. I'd be quite happy with a 'lower standard' as long as some thought is given to how the races are sorted out so that riders of a roughly equal standard meet each other.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 6

But hopefully there won't be any anyway so it won't be a problem. I've got a better idea each track keep their current selected race night if they wish but get someone in who understands how to arrange the fixtures to avoid clashes between the Premiership and Championship.

Yes Please a Christmas Wish.

The Thursday and Saturday split night, set night sounds great until Sheffield, Redcar and Ipswich are the only sides who get council planning permission to run on Thursday – the rest don’t, and if they are lucky enough to get planning permission - have to run on Saturday and you then have 5 or 6 teams racing on a Saturday, losing 5 Saturday nights before the season even starts, drawing a Saturday night side in the Cup at least once, giving up a Saturday for the GP and then factoring in the weather and before you know it they have went months of the season without a home fixture.

Most teams that run from a greyhound Stadium will have difficulty running on Friday or Saturday, these two nights are usually the nights the restaurants are full at Greyhound meetings.

Whilst accepting that most on here are rightly giving their opinion from a fans point of view, what about the sponsor's view? There are several - perhaps many more - that want to see the top (SGP) riders back because it adds value to their commercial brand. More importantly they would be prepared to fund them if fixed nights are agreed especially if TV are still involved. TV would also be keener to see some of the bigger names racing here.

PHILIPRISING, on 15 Sept 2017 - 8:12 PM, said:snapback.png

SPOKE to someone today who had a conversation with a prominent promoter. He said that he was disappointed at what I wrote in SS and wondered why I was always putting British speedway down. It is in fine shape he said. What planet are some of these guys on?

I suspect this might have been a NL promoter of long standing who looks after his own business pretty well. He may also have had his head in the sand....I must admit I do believe the MAJOR issues with the sport are higher up the chain, which understandably affects more people.

Whilst accepting that most on here are rightly giving their opinion from a fans point of view, what about the sponsor's view? There are several - perhaps many more - that want to see the top (SGP) riders back because it adds value to their commercial brand. More importantly they would be prepared to fund them if fixed nights are agreed especially if TV are still involved. TV would also be keener to see some of the bigger names racing here.

I'm not sure that I go along with that, if I wanted to add value to my commercial brand, I would think that I'd invest in something more in the public eye, 99% of people will never hear of Freddie Lindgren etc, no matter who sponsors them.

• Like 4