British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

Can't see how it would work as it would encourage riders to drive up wages as their demand would be greater

and thats where the bspa need to show some balls and stick to their guns, but the demand wouldnt be greater, people seem to think this would open the floodgates for teams to sign all the best but all these best riders dont exist outside the GP and half that do exist dont want to ride here Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

I don’t think many clubs, and just as importantly fans care about GP riders anymore.

How many clubs in the top flight even meet the criteria now of one GP rider? The implementation of that rule would solve nothing, and alter little in terms of team structure - Swindon, Wolves and Belle Vue albeit not till next season, 3 teams impacted, but not really because they have 1 GP rider as it is anyway.

So as it stands, Poole would have the same top 5 with the possible and likely removal of a rider like Lahti and replaced by a rider like – in theory Kim Nilsson, and thus an already weak as it is Leicester are left having to look around for a replacement for Nilsson and in turn become weaker.

The creation of a rule where sides have to sign Under 21 riders at reserve would only serve to freeze out the likes of Bates, Newman, Starke, Kerr etc and drive a market where sides would have to give Under 21 riders excessive wages because there are so few who are actually ready for top flight speedway. There is also such a disparity in Under 21 riders, that one side, and likely league winners would have Lambert, and at a push Ellis and other sides would be left looking at Danny Phillips and Josh Bailey – again, more than likely the weakest and sides who are skint. It isn’t like Poland where there is a far wider spread of talent and a wider pool of riders to pick to solve weakness issues in sides.

If a step is taken back and the idea is looked at, analysed and assessed it is genuinely quite ridiculous.

The addition of averages has been good, the removal of it would actively encourage the rich to get richer and the poor to become poorer.

• Like 2

My View on how 2018 should go:

PREMIER LEAGUE Wednesdays & Fridays.

CONFERENCE LEAGUE Saturdays & Sundays.

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays.

Loads of reasons why this is the way to go, anyone else agree?

Poland want Friday`s

Monday to Sunday : British League

Monday to Sunday : National Development League

• Like 2

Ive started another poll on twitter about admission price to speedway , please vote and retweet @deanfelton1👍🏻

the results of the poll were 58% think speedway is too expensive to watch , 21% think it the right price and 21% think its not value for money
  • Like 1

No

I just dispair that so many people seem to STILL have a problem with understanding this.

And, it would seem, some STILL dont know how they are calculated.

Although there is a big question mark with regards to the validity of averages unless all involved riders meet each other an equal number of times. Agree 100% that trying to balance teams equally is an absolute must but the methodology behind it is flawed.

I know I cant see a way back until we finish the sport in Britain while we have the current mind set , only then will people realise what a stupid mistake they have been making , if we can't get the basic principles right of team sport what chance do we have

Completely agree one rider one team thats it! Riders cant have split loyalties in the same country, its bad enough across different countries, but the same country!!!!!!!!! No wonder crowds are so poor. Also the notion that all will be well if we get back the SGP stars is just a nonsense, they will never add enough people to the attendance to justify the cost.

• Like 6

why don't we use the Swedish method and use race average rather than the rather outdated CMA

• Like 1

SGBP - Monday and Thursday

SGBC - Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Sweden - Tuesday

Denmark - Wednesday

Poland - Friday, Saturday, Sunday

the results of the poll were 58% think speedway is too expensive to watch , 21% think it the right price and 21% think its not value for money

Funny thing is, I honestly don't think that speedway is "too" expensive, per se, BUT it really doesn't seem value for money. It's not that the prices need to come down (then the sport REALLY wouldn't survive), but they really need to work on giving real value for money. As I keep saying, it doesn't matter how cheap it is - or even if it is free - if the quality and entertainment value is not there, people won't go..

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 4

Funny thing is, I honestly don't think that speedway is "too" expensive, per se, BUT it really doesn't seem value for money. It's not that the prices need to come down (then the sport REALLY wouldn't survive), but they really need to work on giving real value for money. As I keep saying, it doesn't matter how cheap it is - or even if it is free - if the quality and entertainment value is not there, people won't go..

Steve

the reason I started this is talking to a couple of friends about speedway and why they dont seem to go anymore , the one guy said he simply cant afford paying £18 every week and would go more if it were £10 and the other said He wont pay £18 its just not value for money so I just thought Id put it out to the wider public , my own view is we should be aiming for £10 admission but the sport is not paid for by the fans attending but by sponsors ,so the number of fans attending becomes irrelevant but and it is a big but how do we get to that situation because in my opinion any company who would invest in the current sport is either mad or has money to burn ,so we in a bit of a catch 22 , we need the sport to be successful to attract sponsors and we need sponsors to make the sport successful and we are stuck in the middle with neither but this doesnt detract from the fact that most of our issues are self inflicted and we deserve to be where we are and it isnt going to change anytime soon because there isnt a will to change within the current regime
  • Like 2

I think for a tenner you will get a mix of NL riders and some second string Championship riders(semi pro).Not knocking them at all.I wish I could be as good,but if the ave Prem club get 1300/1400 and 1000 are £17.They get BT money,so TV coverage for sponsors,so they get a bit of value(although I agree I don't see how sponsors gain from it).For a tenner,probably no TV money,maybe 6-700.I can't see how speedway can make it pay at £10.

If you knock the Prem price to a tenner,you might get 2-300 more,but not enough.I might be miles out,but I hope so.

Edited by Bald Bloke

I think for a tenner you will get a mix of NL riders and some second string Championship riders(semi pro).Not knocking them at all.I wish I could be as good,but if the ave Prem club get 1300/1400 and 1000 are £17.They get BT money,so TV coverage for sponsors,so they get a bit of value(although I agree I don't see how sponsors gain from it).For a tenner,probably no TV money,maybe 6-700.I can't see how speedway can make it pay at £10.

If you knock the Prem price to a tenner,you might get 2-300 more,but not enough.I might be miles out,but I hope i'm miles out.

what I am saying is the gate money becomes irrelevant the sport becomes financed by sponsors , Poland has a good percentage of their wages and bills paid by sponsors and as good as crowds as some of them get it doesn't cover the wages ,that is where we need to be aiming ,so it doesn't matter if the crowd is 1000 or 10,000 the wages and bills are paid for , if we were get to that position we could make every meeting £10 ,its getting there that's the problem ,one big company like coca cola spend more on advertising per year than the entire wages for the whole of the speedway world and there are 1000s of company's who do similar but why would they give it to speedway as it is, if I had the money I wouldn't and I love the sport , we need to get our act together first , take stock of where we are and build from there, we are in a shocking state and not a month goes by without some sort of balls up , these company's reputations depend on the products and sports they back , the exposure they pay for on tv in other sports is eye watering but they don't get embarrassed by those sports ,we have that exposure, the company's are there we just have to show we deserve their money and at the moment we don't, when we first got our sky It pretty much went to the riders , where was the fans part of the deal? ,where was the re investment of the sport ?nowhere is the answer and look where we are today ,riders demanding ever more and there is no sky to cough up so it basically falls on the fans to meet the ever rising costs , im sure I read or heard that even sky were not impressed how the money was spent Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3