British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

Poland v UK.Sponsors/crowd vs sponsors.Speedway is booming in Poland.Bit like footy here.Don't think riders wages will be paid by sponsors.The lower the product/exposour,the less the sponsor.I have been on the sauce tonight,but think i'm right ;)

Poland v UK.Sponsors/crowd vs sponsors.Speedway is booming in Poland.Bit like footy here.Don't think riders wages will be paid by sponsors.The lower the product/exposour,the less the sponsor.I have been on the sauce tonight,but think i'm right ;)

speedway isnt booming in Poland , its healthy but crowds have not increased ,not enough people go to leszno to pay Nikki pedersen let alone the others , its sponsors and council money that pays the bills , companys like Fogo spend a lot of money in speedway , look at the Center greens in Poland it is packed with sponsor boards , add their sponsor money together , chuck in some council money and you will get most of your income Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

I think for a tenner you will get a mix of NL riders and some second string Championship riders(semi pro).Not knocking them at all.I wish I could be as good,but if the ave Prem club get 1300/1400 and 1000 are £17.

Thing is, when we talk about "entertainment", "quality of the product", and "value for money", I don't believe that has anything to do with the standard of rider. The GP's clearly have the world's best riders, but in recent weeks we have apparently (I can't comment myself as I didn't see them) had a couple of very poor meetings.

Yes, it is nice to see the top names, but they themselves cannot guarantee close racing, excitement, great atmosphere, and overall quality of product. There is a lot more to it than that, and that is why the overall value for money is so important.

Steve

• Like 7

Thing is, when we talk about "entertainment", "quality of the product", and "value for money", I don't believe that has anything to do with the standard of rider. The GP's clearly have the world's best riders, but in recent weeks we have apparently (I can't comment myself as I didn't see them) had a couple of very poor meetings.

Yes, it is nice to see the top names, but they themselves cannot guarantee close racing, excitement, great atmosphere, and overall quality of product. There is a lot more to it than that, and that is why the overall value for money is so important.

Steve

Sadly too few realise this. In most sports the higher the calibre of competitor the better the sport, but in racing it's different. It's about riders being evenly matched, but then many seem to want to watch 'stars' rather than racing.

Value for money, or the perception of value for money is speedway's central problem, and until it wakes up to that the decline will continue. Much, much more consideration needs to be given to the needs of fans than those of riders, promoters, or even TV.

• Like 5

why don't we use the Swedish method and use race average rather than the rather outdated CMA

You do realise that there is zero difference between the two approaches?
  • Like 2

Meetings are what you make them. I can only speak for the group that I go with, but in between races we talk, have a laugh and make each meeting a social event, rather than just a speedway meeting.

If you are not having a good time at a meeting I reckon that says more about you as a person, rather than the actual entertainment on show.

:rofl:

• Like 4

Meetings are what you make them. I can only speak for the group that I go with, but in between races we talk, have a laugh and make each meeting a social event, rather than just a speedway meeting.

If you are not having a good time at a meeting I reckon that says more about you as a person, rather than the actual entertainment on show.

:rofl:

I would agree...never quite understood people going on about the gaps between races etc as a part of the enjoyment for me was meeting and chatting with colleagues and pre-empting the Team Manager's next move.

Used to annoy me when Frank Ebden was referee as there was never time to absorb the action and discuss between races as it was all done and dusted in quick time.

When I went to watch American Football at Wembley and locally there was generally more 'out of action' interaction but it was/is accepted as part and parcel of the game.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

of course i do but the presentation of a four ride figure is no longer relevant.

its obviously confusing because people still come on and ask questions or make daft comments like the guy who suggested a 46 limit because he didnt realise 46 is for 15 heats not 13

do you not see that?

• Like 1

of course i do but the presentation of a four ride figure is no longer relevant.

its obviously confusing because people still come on and ask questions or make daft comments like the guy who suggested a 46 limit because he didnt realise 46 is for 15 heats not 13

do you not see that?

But the same guy will then come and ask why the team building limit is now 10.5 and not 46 when u need 45 points to win a meeting...
  • Like 1

The way averages are calculated and presented is fine.

A four ride CMA is as relevant today as it has ever been.

Only a certain number or riders have ever done 4 rides in a meeting; since 1965 the reserves had three and tac sub/RR rides boosted some to five or six outings.

The anomaly was when bonus point were included for team building.

That silliness ended some time ago.

There are many things that need changing in speedway.

But altering the way averages are recorded is way down the list.

Especially if it is only to try and help those who just need remedial maths tuition.

• Like 2

But the same guy will then come and ask why the team building limit is now 10.5 and not 46 when u need 45 points to win a meeting...

haha well there's no hope for him is there!

Why are you picking him out ! He is the Chairman not the Dictator he has to listen to the Promoters! bit daft singling him out.Also if there was another independent running the show no one would promote its a business not a game.

Because many fans, rightly or wrongly, feel that he has undue influence over the policy and direction of speedway within the BSPA. No independent would want to buy the whole sport as a package anyway. Buster has got it badly wrong at KLS over the last couple of years,which is a great pity. We will see if it can recover under his and / or a new co-promoter.

So bspa vice chairman Rob Godfrey says doubling up has been something of a nightmare but it will change for next season, there is light at the end of the tunnel ,in my dreams I wish he had finally seen sense and going to scrap doubling up altogether but the reality is they are just going to change the days team race on , guess thats another year I wont be attending the top 2 leagues then 🙁

• Like 2