British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

Tune in to BT sport tonight to see all that is wrong. A promotion/relegation meeting which could end up seeing both sides in the top flight next season while Lakeside could end up promoting theirselves . Three Ipswich riders riding for Leicester who will be riding for Ipswich against Sheffield later this week. Scott Nicholls guesting for Sheffield tonight before guesting for Wolverhampton later this week before guesting for Sheffield again later against Ipswich. Complete and utter madness!

You couldn't make it up. :mad::mad::mad:

Except they have. :o:rolleyes::blink:

• Like 3

I will not be there. Monday Night is bad for me.

Newcastle's normal day is a Sunday which suits me fine.

So, were you there for the two KOC matches against Workington? Both on a Sunday...... :nono:

• Like 1

I wonder just how detrimental last night's embarrasing farce at Sheffield may turn out to be.

Last week the Premiership Play offs gave BT and the veiwing audience a sight of British Speedway at it's best.

It was the best advert in the shop window the sport could have had to end this god-awful season.

And showed just why the play offs are specifically designed to be the FINALE.

Out with a bang

But last night just showed so much that is wrong with the product that is served up by this current bunch of dimwit promoters.

Polishing a turd in public.

I imagine that in most people's eyes at BTsport and beyond we have just snatched (huge) defeat from the jaws of (possibly very small) victory.

I wonder just how detrimental last night's embarrasing farce at Sheffield may turn out to be.

Last week the Premiership Play offs gave BT and the veiwing audience a sight of British Speedway at it's best.

It was the best advert in the shop window the sport could have had to end this god-awful season.

And showed just why the play offs are specifically designed to be the FINALE.

Out with a bang

But last night just showed so much that is wrong with the product that is served up by this current bunch of dimwit promoters.

Polishing a turd in public.

I imagine that in most people's eyes at BTsport and beyond we have just snatched (huge) defeat from the jaws of (possibly very small) victory.

I am emailing the FA to tell them that they must not let any FA cup tie live between a non-league team at home to a Premier league team be shown on live TV as it would be a waste of time and could be embarrassing !!!!!!

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

I am emailing the FA to tell them that they must not let any FA cup tie live between a non-league team at home to a Premier league team be shown on live TV as it would be a waste of time and could be embarrassing !!!!!!

And here was me crediting you with a smidgen more intelligence.

But if that is how you feel about a totally different state of affaiirs

In a different sport.

Then, fill your boots.

Edited by Grand Central

To avoid further embarrassment to any party, I wont go into last nights fiasco. But to avoid it ever happening again thorough detailed planning for the future is a must.

Moving forward we must start at the beginning.

So a fixed race night with an alternative day to be used for rain offs/abandonment's.

Mondays could be classed as the alternative race day and also reserved for televised matches with Thursday the fixed race night. (alternatively vice versa)

With say 12 teams in The Top League, it would mean a total of 22 weeks to fulfill home and away fixtures..

Commencing with Round 1 of fixtures on 29 March 2018 and Round 22 on 23 August 2018.

All fixtures to be completed by this date as alternative day used to achieve it.

This would still leave 5 full fixture dates before the end of September to stage Play Off rounds.

Planning is easy, but it takes all concerned to actually listen, what the paying public want.

Stability.

I TAKE your point but don't think BT's approach to 2018 will change because of this one fixture. They were delighted with the viewing figures for the play-offs.

But the fact is that some promoters don't want televised speedway because, they believe, without a cash payment to the clubs it actually does more harm than good. Cuckoo land of course.

The Chairman of the BSPA told me in Torun over the weekend that my piece in Speedway Star, which was the forerunner of this particular topic, did huge damage to British speedway, that the sport is quite healthy in the UK and that most tracks have reported increased attendances. At King's Lynn they improved dramatically after the sacking of Batchelor and Holder despite five consecutive home defeats. Fortunately he walked away before I could ask him what planet he was on.

And three clubs (so far) have hinted that they might not run next year. It's a pity that BT can't be more selective as to which tracks are actually featured, some of them don't come across well on TV.

I TAKE your point but don't think BT's approach to 2018 will change because of this one fixture. They were delighted with the viewing figures for the play-offs.

But the fact is that some promoters don't want televised speedway because, they believe, without a cash payment to the clubs it actually does more harm than good. Cuckoo land of course.

The Chairman of the BSPA told me in Torun over the weekend that my piece in Speedway Star, which was the forerunner of this particular topic, did huge damage to British speedway, that the sport is quite healthy in the UK and that most tracks have reported increased attendances. At King's Lynn they improved dramatically after the sacking of Batchelor and Holder despite five consecutive home defeats. Fortunately he walked away before I could ask him what planet he was on.

Like you, I really do hope that BT are not swayed by that one fixture - or two if we include the redundant second leg to come.

But the deceit implicit in blundering on with a promotion and relegation fiction in Speedway in this manner is so symptomatic of the lobotomised head of British Speedway.

As further illustrated well by your Torun encounter.

It is difficult to hold out much hope when I hear such stories.

And meet the grim reality face to face.

I imagine the contrast for you, when enjoying the wonder of the SGP at Torun on Saturday, was even more stark.

Edited by Grand Central

And that just confirms what most people think that Chapman isn’t even qualified to be a promoter let alone the chairman, and his vice chair isn’t any better either.

The whole concept of the sport in the UK stopping treating supporters like mushrooms just doesn’t seem to be getting through does it.

And three clubs (so far) have hinted that they might not run next year. It's a pity that BT can't be more selective as to which tracks are actually featured, some of them don't come across well on TV.

Not from the Premiership surely??!

Yet these are the people that are ignored, it is not their fault they are staying away it is the promoters fault, give a credible sport to support and some might come back, however some are lost forever

not the supporters fault but the promoters for the mess they have got speedway into

As John Berry used to say "It isn't that the fans have turned their back on the sport but that speedway has turned it's back on the fans!"

• Like 5

Like you, I really do hope that BT are not swayed by that one fixture - or two if we include the redundant second leg to come.

But the deceit implicit in blundering on with a promotion and relegation fiction in Speedway in this manner is so symptomatic of the lobotomised head of British Speedway.

As further illustrated well by your Torun encounter.

It is difficult to hold out much hope when I hear such stories.

And meet the grim reality face to face.

I imagine the contrast for you, when enjoying the wonder of the SGP at Torun on Saturday, was even more stark.

IT was indeed. When leaving the stadium with KT and NP, we all agreed that if we lived in Torun we would happily pay to watch speedway there. Just seeing and experiencing how the whole town is behind the Torun club makes you realise that British speedway is light years away.

However, it is encouraging to hear from Mark Lemon that Manchester City Council is very supportive of the NSS there.

There in a nutshell is why I'm not returning to the AFA, what a deluded old man he's become :mad:

• Like 1