British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

I SUSPECT that Dave Allen might have been involved in the calculation by Peter Oakes for Speedway Star or came to the same conclusion but the number is 562. Staggering.

• Like 1

I SUSPECT that Dave Allen might have been involved in the calculation by Peter Oakes for Speedway Star or came to the same conclusion but the number is 562. Staggering.

Unfortunately, as the season has gone on that figure is NOT staggering at all.

There had to be an average number greater than one guest per match.

That was obvious.

But it has 'felt' an awful lot more than that in recent weeks.

If you told me it was a couple of hundred more, I would not have been surprised.

Edited by Grand Central

Unfortunately, as the season has gone on that figure is NOT staggering at all.

There had to be an average number greater than one guest per match.

That was obvious.

But it has 'felt' an awful lot more than that in recent weeks.

If you told me it was a couple of hundred more, I would not have been surprised.

It is staggering. And Unique to our sport which to outsiders makes it laughable. The argument against 6 rider teams used to be those riders will just ask for more money so it actually wont be cost effective. Well now the argument has to be we dont have enough riders so it needs to be cut down to 6. 2 heat leaders 2 second string & 2 reserves not such a bad idea in my opinion anyway.

British speedway is struggling but there are positives there to work with. There are successful clubs (not just on track) that can lead the way for the rest. Their blueprint must be followed. Really tho the basics must be in place at EVERY track. 1. Set race nights. 2. Well prepared tracks. this is essential and there must be punishments in place for those who do not come up to scratch. 3. timing of the meeting. 15 races at a minute a piece, barring a terrible injury, unacceptable for speedway meeting to run over 2 hours.

After that there are many things that in my belief are obvious & fairly cheap/simple solutions to helping get the crowds back.

Competitive admission prices

Good/Fun/Modern presentation. This includes a good center green presenter on the mic, decent music in between heats, no lulls in action

Track covers. How more tracks do not have these with the temperamental British weather I do not know.

Meet and greet with riders before/after the meeting

There are many more ideas of course, barrybishop outlined what they do at IOW and he seems to have it pretty much spot on. The opportunity is there to make it so much better. And really its nothing that complicated.

Edited by RPNYC

For me the solution begins with riders and them accepting where we are , good luck to anybody who tries to get them accept change

• Like 2

Not so Phil, I've been tracking the figures all season. 562 up to and including 11th September.

• Like 1

SORRY but I cannot agree with most of that. As far as I am concerned all riders are vastly underpaid although that doesn't mean they can expect what isn't there. However, considering that most have to fund their own equipment and transport, face increasing insurance, know that every time they go to the tapes it could result in serious or even life-threatening injuries or worse and more often than not for a relative pittance earns my admiration. Without them there wouldn't be speedway and as we see now, fewer and fewer youngsters are coming through the ranks in places like Denmark and Sweden because a career in speedway simply isn't that attractive.

Your comments about brain surgeons is particularly insulting. I know of one young rider who can earn between £800 and £1000 a week as a plumber. He knows he will never be a World Champion but he loves speedway and tries desperately to combine the two. But it isn't easy and if he had to make a choice on purely financial reasons he would quit. One down and many more in a similar position.

With respect....surely it would be better to have British teams made up of riders that were Plumbers (and such like) earning £800-£1000 a week and riding for British Clubs as a second job?

As an example Charles Wright is a labourer...yet is a damn fine exciting rider to watch week in week out.

What would be wrong with British Clubs made up of riders of this calibre?

As for your comment...Quote...' However, considering that most have to fund their own equipment and transport, face increasing insurance, know that every time they go to the tapes it could result in serious or even life-threatening injuries or worse and more often than not for a relative pittance earns my admiration.'.... Go to Amateur Moto X events on a weekend, and you'll see riders risking life and limb, funding their own equipment and transport, with increasing insurance....and they do it for fun...not a living, yet put it all on the line every weekend.

Speedway riders aren't any different. They'd be doing some 'adrenalin' addictive sport even if they were doing a 'normal' job.

Speedway could be easily made less financially draining, yet the powers that be, riders, tuners etc don't want to go down that route.

Speedway doesn't need the tuners and engines that are running today. It's not progress...it's an unsustainable concept.

Only idiots keep doing the same things over and over again, and failing.

• Like 2

Not so Phil, I've been tracking the figures all season. 562 up to and including 11th September.

How many due to doubling up/down, how many to foreign clashes?

Edited by Midland Red

With respect....surely it would be better to have British teams made up of riders that were Plumbers (and such like) earning £800-£1000 a week and riding for British Clubs as a second job?

As an example Charles Wright is a labourer...yet is a damn fine exciting rider to watch week in week out.

What would be wrong with British Clubs made up of riders of this calibre?

As for your comment...Quote...' However, considering that most have to fund their own equipment and transport, face increasing insurance, know that every time they go to the tapes it could result in serious or even life-threatening injuries or worse and more often than not for a relative pittance earns my admiration.'.... Go to Amateur Moto X events on a weekend, and you'll see riders risking life and limb, funding their own equipment and transport, with increasing insurance....and they do it for fun...not a living, yet put it all on the line every weekend.

Speedway riders aren't any different. They'd be doing some 'adrenalin' addictive sport even if they were doing a 'normal' job.

Speedway could be easily made less financially draining, yet the powers that be, riders, tuners etc don't want to go down that route.

Speedway doesn't need the tuners and engines that are running today. It's not progress...it's an unsustainable concept.

Only idiots keep doing the same things over and over again, and failing.

You will never stop progress. They wont dumb down their equipment in the UK when in GPs, SEC, Polish league, Swedish league etc they are all searching for every bit of extra speed they can. They tried that in 95 with no laydowns in UK. Despite the fact it saved money top riders ALL complained it was holding them back.

Charles Wright is a dam good and exciting rider correct, but could he be progressing more if he was concentrating more (or solely) on his racing. More than likely.

Your theory is absolutely correct however its just not realistic unfortunately. As for the Moto X boys yes they are self funding. However that is the norm. In Speedway its a paid league(s) that's the standard been set it isnt going to change. If it does it will go completely amateur and we will be left with a standard the equivalent of the current National League, or worse.

There are teams running right now that prove it can be financially viable. The rest need to follow.

Edited by RPNYC

You will never stop progress. They wont dumb down their equipment in the UK when in GPs, SEC, Polish league, Swedish league etc they are all searching for every bit of extra speed they can. They tried that in 95 with no laydowns in UK. Despite the fact it saved money top riders ALL complained it was holding them back.

Charles Wright is a dam good and exciting rider correct, but could he be progressing more if he was concentrating more (or solely) on his racing. More than likely.

Your theory is absolutely correct however its just not realistic unfortunately. As for the Moto X boys yes they are self funding. However that is the norm. In Speedway its a paid league(s) that's the standard been set it isnt going to change. If it does it will go completely amateur and we will be left with a standard the equivalent of the current National League, or worse.

There are teams running right now that prove it can be financially viable. The rest need to follow.

Whilst I understand your sentiment, I think if they don't do something drastic, then Club Speedway in this country will naturally fall to the standard you speak of.

The majority of 'Top' riders don't ride in this country as it is. So why keep pandering to the few that are still here?

Progress in having finely tuned, fast, high revving engines is all well and good on surfaces that are perfect for those engines, but are useless when the surface is less than perfect.

You say Charles would be a better individual rider if he concentrated solely on himself...and here in lies the problem. A team sport that basically funds the Individual urges in a rider. Speedway buggered itself up when it became an individual and team sport.

I'd be more than happy to watch riders week in and week out, that solely rode for one Club in this country, and worked in another job.

You can only have so many riders competing in the GP's. There are only so many team berths abroad. Not everyone can get a ride.

How many Speedway fans follow a rider over there local team? Not a majority I would think.

For me...British Club speedway needs to do something drastic, and stop trying to fit around all the other nations and riders preferences.

The speedway fan in this country is being short changed. Find riders that will commit to this league...sod em if they don't.

They ride over here, use money earnt, to put into engines abroad....where they can earn more money. How ridiculous a situation is that? We are already watching riders on equipment not as good as abroad.

I laugh when I read such and such a rider will be better in the play offs, because he's bringing his faster engines over from Poland...what a complete farce.

I'd rather watch committed riders to this country and it's clubs....not riders using our league as a bit of bunce or stepping stone.

If it means watching riders of the likes of Wright throughout a team, then great...committed and gives everything. 4 riders of that ability and determination in a race any day over a bunch of moaning 'wanna be's' going through the motions. ;-)

• Like 3

Is that just riders who actually rode or include those who were booked for rainoffs ?

I only guessed 147 as I was talking to a colleague about his snooker match the night before

It has been really interesting to read all the comments on this. As a supporter who has been going less & less over that past 10 years (so far only one meeting this season) its good to know that there seems to be some form of debate taking place.

Double up/double down must end the guest rule should be scrapped & the double point rule ended. Please bring some tactics back into the sport this would make things far more interesting for the supporter. My ideas would be the bottom 2 in the averages riding at 6 & 7 like now but allow the team managers to name the other 5 in any order they like due away with fixed gate positions the manager could then mix it up a little get some conversation going on the terrances about what the managers are upto.......for me a supporter for 28 years the most enjoable season ever was 1990 under the old 16 heat format......and no guests they were banned!!

Is that just riders who actually rode or include those who were booked for rainoffs ?

I only guessed 147 as I was talking to a colleague about his snooker match the night before

The total includes all 411 completed league, knock-out cup and National Trophy matches. Postponed matches or matches abandoned without a result being declared are not included.

The total includes all 411 completed league, knock-out cup and National Trophy matches. Postponed matches or matches abandoned without a result being declared are not included.

Ta Muchly

Peter Oakes says 526.

I do hope he is right.

We have learned how he hates folk who spread misinformation.

Edited by Grand Central