British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

ok I'll bite once - and then no more

a - they are NOT crap - I'd have them both back at Redcar in a heartbeat.

b - I have enough backbone to not have to belittle people to make myself feel bigger

Well said ch958.

Looked like the final nail in the coffin of Speedway at Workington tonight.

crowd of around 350 , it is heartbreaking 🙁

crowd of around 350 , it is heartbreaking

IT is indeed but surely this isn't down to just one meeting, albeit without Cook and Jorgensen.

I remember going to Workington in the days of Carl Stonehewer (what a character) and Ian Thomas (another one) and the place was heaving. We sold more Speedway Stars there at the time than in any other town. We are all going down the tubes...

• Like 3

That's perfectly understandable . But it's extremely worrying that a prominent promoter thinks that way .

I have sympathy for the Glasgow Promotion who have done a great job on the stadium and reviving the Tigers fortunes ,they must be wondering what Mickey Mouse sport they have got their selves into.
  • Like 1

IT is indeed but surely this isn't down to just one meeting, albeit without Cook and Jorgensen.

I remember going to Workington in the days of Carl Stonehewer (what a character) and Ian Thomas (another one) and the place was heaving. We sold more Speedway Stars there at the time than in any other town. We are all going down the tubes...

no it isn't all down to that one meeting although one other rider seems to be having a go at getting rid of all the fans and I know through a couple of connections that the promotion has to take some responsibility for their actions but all these things plus where we are as a sport is taking its toll and still a lot of folks (including riders )refuse to change or even accept that we need to change Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

Opening meeting in 1999 was against my Newcastle Diamonds with a crowd of 4400. Even when it averaged out with just the Worky fans, in the days of Stoney and Karlsson, gates average about 2200 and they came in their droves to away meetings. We all made money on their away meetings and they created a great atmosphere. Same with Newport two years earlier.

Saturday May 19th 1999 Workington v the Isle of Wight.

Programme £1.50

Worky: Stoney, Barry Campbell, Grant Macdonald ,Peter Scully, Brent Werner, Wayne Broadhurst and Darren Groves.

IOW: Neville Tatum, Tommy Palmer, Phillip Berge, Scot Swain, Wayne Carter, Danny Bird and Jeremy Barraud.

Score 50-43.

Stoney top scored with 19+1 from 6 rides!

Next week Comets v Newcastle starring David Walsh, Jesper Olsen, Robert Erikson, Paul Gould and Derrol Keats.

Saturday May 19th 1999 Workington v the Isle of Wight.

Programme £1.50

Worky: Stoney, Barry Campbell, Grant Macdonald ,Peter Scully, Brent Werner, Wayne Broadhurst and Darren Groves.

IOW: Neville Tatum, Tommy Palmer, Phillip Berge, Scot Swain, Wayne Carter, Danny Bird and Jeremy Barraud.

Score 50-43.

Stoney top scored with 19+1 from 6 rides!

Next week Comets v Newcastle starring David Walsh, Jesper Olsen, Robert Erikson, Paul Gould and Derrol Keats.

I rode there in 99 a few times for Berwick
  • Like 1

What was the cost to attend in 1999?

Cannot remember probably about £12/13

WAY, WAY OFF.

According to the Speedway Star Preview for the 1999 season

Workington were £7.50 for Adults.

Make of that what you will.

Edit:

Over that 18 year period Worlkingtons entry fee has increased by 106%

If Speedway Star had increased their cover price by the same proportion (instead of their actual 58%) it would be nearly £4 an issue not £3.

I wonder (doubt) if Philip Rising would regard that a viable price for his business model.

Edited by Grand Central

Opening meeting in 1999 was against my Newcastle Diamonds with a crowd of 4400. Even when it averaged out with just the Worky fans, in the days of Stoney and Karlsson, gates average about 2200 and they came in their droves to away meetings. We all made money on their away meetings and they created a great atmosphere. Same with Newport two years earlier.

I remember one meeting at Stoke in 1999 standing with the Worky fans - three coachloads of them. I remember the year because I was wearing a t shirt with the names of Panthers' (eventual treble winning) team on the back. The names on that shirt started many a conversation.

WAY, WAY OFF.

According to the Speedway Star Preview for the 1999 season

Workington were £7.50 for Adults.

Make of that what you will.

Edit:

Over that 18 year period Worlkingtons entry fee has increased by 106%

If Speedway Star had increased their cover price by the same proportion (instead of their actual 58%) it would be nearly £4 an issue not £3.

I wonder (doubt) if Philip Rising would regard that a viable price for his business model.

Using an online inflation calculator, it shows £7.50 in 1999 translating to a purchasing power of £12.15 now, a 62% increase. I suspect if you took a comparison between 1980s admission prices and today's the rise above the rate of inflation would be quite frightening across the sport.

In a way the modern price means that today's fans are having to compensate for those that have gone missing - fewer people contributing to costs, let alone profit.

• Like 2