British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

the riders. Roberts lamberts piece in the star today , the one league 18 teams running on set days would be the perfect thing for him as it would be for worrall if he could only see it

As long as none of the set days in the UK were Sunday or Tuesday- Sunday Lambert wouldn`t want to know !!!

Buster Chapman has done an awful job in his short tenure, the sport has gone backwards. I doubt it will ever be independently run unless an independent buys the sport as a package. So we need someone involved to run it properly, without self interest. Pigs will fly.

• Like 3

As long as none of the set days in the UK were Sunday or Tuesday- Sunday Lambert wouldn`t want to know !!!

i said in earlier post on Monday and Thursday , for me this is the perfect compromise for both riders and fans with the only sticking point being if teams can't get their stadiums on those days

Lambert rides for Newcastle on a Sunday now.

Or perhaps you were meaning next year. :unsure:

Yes next year- i'm convinced he will be in a Polish team full time next season on Sunday's

You are probably right about that r&r. :t:

Cheers for the reply. :t::):approve:

i disagree - it should be a body independent of the promoters

No, I think this part of the proceedings should be up to the promoters, it is their money and their businesses at stake.

Once the rules, make-up of teams and league/s etc are decided then an independent body should take over to ensure the procedures the promoters voted in are fairly applied and adhered to.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 5

i said in earlier post on Monday and Thursday , for me this is the perfect compromise for both riders and fans with the only sticking point being if teams can't get their stadiums on those days

Why would Monday be perfect for fans ? it would be the worst night for many ...a million more sticking points than clubs just having to get there stadium on those nights .

• Like 3

Yes next year- i'm convinced he will be in a Polish team full time next season on Sunday's

he says in the star today he won't be riding in the championship next season cause he wants to ride in Poland and Sweden , hence my post

LAMBERT also said that he will only ride for one team in the UK

he says in the star today he won't be riding in the championship next season cause he wants to ride in Poland and Sweden , hence my post

OUT of the gate quicker than me :party:

• Like 2

Thanks Phil for putting into print the state of British Speedway and the feelings of most Speedway fans.

• Like 3

Unless they reduce the costs I don't see one League being realistic, as others have said this could be sorted but the members of the BSPA couldn't work together for the good of the sport if their lives depended on it. I really don't think the men running the sport in the UK are up to the job required and recent evidence just supports it.

I really worry for the sport as it's currently imploding with supporters just walking away in droves.

Excellent report Phil as always

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 5

A lot of people are saying the same thing,the riders have to be told take it or leave it.The show will go on.

Ps

Not a lot would leave it IMO .

Given British speedway's increasingly perilous position, most Premiership, Championship and National League riders should now be racing on an amateur basis and combining their track activity with a day job - just as it was for most in the early years of BL Division Two in the late 60s.

How on earth can they demand to be paid as full-time professionals, with hefty guarantees and crazy points money, when they only 'perform' in front of a few hundred hardy souls and, in most cases, paltry crowds of little more than 1,000-1,500?

Even average riders have been paid way too much for long enough. Now promoters must curb their rider expenditure and put them in their place.

As you say, take it or leave it. Call their bluff.

What are they going to do . . . quit speedway and become brain surgeons?

If a number do retire, then come up with a league racing formula for six (or even five) man teams. That would help ease the doubling-up (if two main leagues were retained) and guests farce.

Trouble is, it cannot happen until the BSPA speak and operate as one and abandon their individual vested interests.

Is there a speedway-mad equivalent of Kerry Packer or Barry Hearn lurking in the shadows keen (foolish) enough to grab the sport by the throat and kick the useless members of the BSPA into touch and herald a new revolution . . .?

Keep doing the Lottery, lads . .

Edited by tmc
  • Like 9

If there was a Barry Hearn type he'd need millions to buy all the stadiums.... speedway ain't no darts or snooker!

Edited by Trees

If there was a Barry Hearn type he'd need millions to buy all the stadiums.... speedway ain't no darts or snooker!

Wouldn't need to buy the stadiums surely in order t promote?