British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

Given British speedway's increasingly perilous position, most Premiership, Championship and National League riders should now be racing on an amateur basis and combining their track activity with a day job - just as it was for most in the early years of BL Division Two in the late 60s.

How on earth can they demand to be paid as full-time professionals, with hefty guarantees and crazy points money, when they only 'perform' in front of a few hundred hardy souls and, in most cases, paltry crowds of little more than 1,000-1,500?

Even average riders have been paid way too much for long enough. Now promoters must curb their rider expenditure and put them in their place.

As you say, take it or leave it. Call their bluff.

What are they going to do . . . quit speedway and become brain surgeons?

If a number do retire, then come up with a league racing formula for six (or even five) man teams. That would help ease the doubling-up (if two main leagues were retained) and guests farce.

Trouble is, it cannot happen until the BSPA speak and operate as one and abandon their individual vested interests.

Is there a speedway-mad equivalent of Kerry Packer or Barry Hearn lurking in the shadows keen (foolish) enough to grab the sport by the throat and kick the useless members of the BSPA into touch and herald a new revolution . . .?

Keep doing the Lottery, lads . .

Some very valid points especially the amateur tag.

Edited by steve roberts

If there was a Barry Hearn type he'd need millions to buy all the stadiums.... speedway ain't no darts or snooker!

Snooker & darts don't own the arenas they use?

Riders DO have a major part to play in the "saving" or re-structuring of speedway. Accepting what is available to them as realistic points and "package" money will be essential to stabilise the sport. They ARE heroes at all levels for their on track efforts but the level of fan support, make a football style lifestyle ( even for the best ) in the UK, pie in the sky. It is a different level of sport compared to racing in Poland and in Sweden where the fan base is excellent ( Poland ) and good ( in Sweden seemingly ). The head in the sand pose of promoters about the average crowd level ( or their public acceptance of it ) and what that means for viability is not helpful. If what can be afforded as a pay level for riders is unacceptable to a lot of them, that will signal a further step along the way of the sport ceasing to exist.

Edited by waytogo28

Given British speedway's increasingly perilous position, most Premiership, Championship and National League riders should now be racing on an amateur basis and combining their track activity with a day job - just as it was for most in the early years of BL Division Two in the late 60s.

How on earth can they demand to be paid as full-time professionals, with hefty guarantees and crazy points money, when they only 'perform' in front of a few hundred hardy souls and, in most cases, paltry crowds of little more than 1,000-1,500?

Even average riders have been paid way too much for long enough. Now promoters must curb their rider expenditure and put them in their place.

As you say, take it or leave it. Call their bluff.

What are they going to do . . . quit speedway and become brain surgeons?

If a number do retire, then come up with a league racing formula for six (or even five) man teams. That would help ease the doubling-up (if two main leagues were retained) and guests farce.

Trouble is, it cannot happen until the BSPA speak and operate as one and abandon their individual vested interests.

Is there a speedway-mad equivalent of Kerry Packer or Barry Hearn lurking in the shadows keen (foolish) enough to grab the sport by the throat and kick the useless members of the BSPA into touch and herald a new revolution . . .?

Keep doing the Lottery, lads . .

SORRY but I cannot agree with most of that. As far as I am concerned all riders are vastly underpaid although that doesn't mean they can expect what isn't there. However, considering that most have to fund their own equipment and transport, face increasing insurance, know that every time they go to the tapes it could result in serious or even life-threatening injuries or worse and more often than not for a relative pittance earns my admiration. Without them there wouldn't be speedway and as we see now, fewer and fewer youngsters are coming through the ranks in places like Denmark and Sweden because a career in speedway simply isn't that attractive.

Your comments about brain surgeons is particularly insulting. I know of one young rider who can earn between £800 and £1000 a week as a plumber. He knows he will never be a World Champion but he loves speedway and tries desperately to combine the two. But it isn't easy and if he had to make a choice on purely financial reasons he would quit. One down and many more in a similar position.

• Like 3

In the battle of the editors.

I'm on the sensible McDonald side.

The alternative is to believe in fairies.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3

WE are not talking about the very top echelon here, but for the bread and butter guys speedway only pays the bills for about seven months a year.

SORRY but I cannot agree with most of that. As far as I am concerned all riders are vastly underpaid although that doesn't mean they can expect what isn't there. However, considering that most have to fund their own equipment and transport, face increasing insurance, know that every time they go to the tapes it could result in serious or even life-threatening injuries or worse and more often than not for a relative pittance earns my admiration. Without them there wouldn't be speedway and as we see now, fewer and fewer youngsters are coming through the ranks in places like Denmark and Sweden because a career in speedway simply isn't that attractive.

Your comments about brain surgeons is particularly insulting. I know of one young rider who can earn between £800 and £1000 a week as a plumber. He knows he will never be a World Champion but he loves speedway and tries desperately to combine the two. But it isn't easy and if he had to make a choice on purely financial reasons he would quit. One down and many more in a similar position.

...I'd agree but if the fan base is declining thereby limiting available funds where is the revenue going to come from?

I once booked myself into an Olle Nygren Training School so that I could gain a better appreciation of what riders put themselves thru' and have nothing but admiration regarding their skill and commitment.

Edited by steve roberts

each weekend ,literally thousands go racing MX for nothing other than because they want to , not one of them gets paid , but they go out and take the same or even more risks as speedway riders , even some of the speedway riders who are always wanting more money ,will pay out of their speedway earnings to ride MX , you have to laugh ,

• Like 5

WE are not talking about the very top echelon here, but for the bread and butter guys speedway only pays the bills for about seven months a year.

Exactly.

As has been true for the entire life of the sport.

But in far healthier times than these.

I presume Richard Clark and his team would regard themselves as underpaid.

And would certainly be able to get better money writing for more financially bouyant publications.

Maybe even as plumbers.

But they don't.

I say thank you to them. From the bottom of my heart.

But back to work on next weeks edition.

From a dwinding audience who will only pay £3

We cannot afford to pay anymore than we are doing.

In all walks of life. We are all in a similar position.

Speedway riders don't deserve anymore crocodile tears than anyone else.

Realities need to be faced and the riders need to understand that more than most

EDITED To remove this section that I have been informed was factually incorrect.

I imagine that The Star also has a large section of its writing done by unpaid people who have a day job elsewhere.

It makes sense in the current economic climate.

Edited by Grand Central

of course they are underpaid - of course they are. But if only 500 are watching what can you do??

• Like 3

each weekend ,literally thousands go racing MX for nothing other than because they want to , not one of them gets paid , but they go out and take the same or even more risks as speedway riders , even some of the speedway riders who are always wanting more money ,will pay out of their speedway earnings to ride MX , you have to laugh ,

...remember one rider in particular who used to ride for Oxford wrecking his bike and the fans took a collection on his behalf to get him going again only to find out that he owned a jet ski and rode it for fun.

Question of priorities.

Went to a couple of local Grasstrack meetings relatively recently and got talking to one of the riders (he used to be a junior at Oxford) and he explained that the big difference between the sports is that as a competitor on the grass you have to pay a fee to take part and that there was rarely any financial gain to be had...riding for fun...although there are obviously still the risks involved.

Edited by steve roberts

BUT for them it is a weekend hobby not a profession.. Make speedway a weekend sport and your argument would be more valid.

of course they are underpaid - of course they are. But if only 500 are watching what can you do??

I DID make that point. They cannot have what isn't there. But seems that many of this forum have little or no sympathy for riders in general and think that they are bleeding the sport dry. That isn't the case.

Exactly.

As has been true for the entire life of the sport.

But in far healthier times than these.

I presume Richard Clark and his team would regard themselves as underpaid.

And would certainly be able to get better money writing for more financially bouyant publications.

Maybe even as plumbers.

But they don't.

I imagine that The Star also has a large section of its writing done by unpaid people who have a day job elsewhere.

It makes sense in the current economic climate.

I say thank you to them. From the bottom of my heart.

But back to work on next weeks edition.

From a dwinding audience who will only pay £3

We cannot afford to pay anymore than we are doing.

In all walks of life. We are all in a similar position.

Speedway riders don't deserve anymore crocodile tears than anyone else.

Realities need to be faced and the riders need to understand that more than most.

FOR the record, everyone who contributes to Speedway Star, writers and photographers, gets paid. We get nothing for nothing and don't expect to.

If there was a Barry Hearn type he'd need millions to buy all the stadiums.... speedway ain't no darts or snooker!

Like he buys all the stadiums where Speedway and Darts are played ?

What are the crowds like for these mx events and what do they pay to get in ?

BUT for them it is a weekend hobby not a profession.. Make speedway a weekend sport and your argument would be more valid.

I DID make that point. They cannot have what isn't there. But seems that many of this forum have little or no sympathy for riders in general and think that they are bleeding the sport dry. That isn't the case.

FOR the record, everyone who contributes to Speedway Star, writers and photographers, gets paid. We get nothing for nothing and don't expect to.

I am VERY happy to be corrected on that one small point.

But still only what you can afford.

Maybe to illustrate how often the DU`s are riding, maybe someone(Arnie you are the perfect man for the job) could list the meetings ridden in the uk( and maybe guest bookings taken as well) and list total points scored for a number of riders.

Off the top of my head people like S Worrall. Cook,King,Bates,Wells.Barker,Grajczonek,Wright, Lawson,Morris,Howarth etc etc

because these boys are not riding for £50 a point !!!!!!!

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1