British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

Problem is if it carries on like it is at the moment the riders will have zero income as the sport will be dead. I might be alone but doubling up guest riders and double points are the reasons why I no longer attend more than once or twice a season.

You are not alone, it has become farcical and the tale is now wagging the dog. What would happen if the fans protested by deciding not to attend a particular meeting simply to make the point that we have had enough. It seems in Poland that some riders get a fixed amount plus points money but team places are more competitive and they have to go out ride. Here in the U.K. Quite a few stick two fingers up at the punters without so much a by or leave and still expect people to turn up,week in week out. Time the fans said enough is enough. Without money on the turnstiles most clubs would be in trouble if fans boycotted a meeting or two. Perhaps that is what is needed to get the message across.

You are not alone, it has become farcical and the tale is now wagging the dog. What would happen if the fans protested by deciding not to attend a particular meeting simply to make the point that we have had enough. It seems in Poland that some riders get a fixed amount plus points money but team places are more competitive and they have to go out ride. Here in the U.K. Quite a few stick two fingers up at the punters without so much a by or leave and still expect people to turn up,week in week out. Time the fans said enough is enough. Without money on the turnstiles most clubs would be in trouble if fans boycotted a meeting or two. Perhaps that is what is needed to get the message across.

I agree with the sentiment here - but crucially - the problem is that Speedway is in such a state now, that boycotting a Meeting could ultimately end up with said Track closing down.

Nobody wants that.

• Like 3

Fingers crossed the powers that be sit up and take notice this year and don't sit with heads in the sand.

Fingers crossed the powers that be sit up and take notice this year and don't sit with heads in the sand.

Their track record over the past 10-15 years or so would suggest you are maybe being a tad optimistic ccr...

I believe that the official biscuits to be available at the AGM have been confirmed though, as this was ratified at the last pre AGM..

This year the official biscuit of choice is 'Mcvities Milk Chocolate Hob Nobs', however I do believe there may be availability problems at the local Tesco where they buy them from, which may prevent the Hob Nobs from taking their position on the table.

If that is the case, and Tesco do run out, then they can spend up to 5% more and bring in 'Cadburys Milk Chocolate Fingers' as a 'Guest Biscuit'...

This can be done without having to seek MC approval...

I TAKE your point but don't think BT's approach to 2018 will change because of this one fixture. They were delighted with the viewing figures for the play-offs.

But the fact is that some promoters don't want televised speedway because, they believe, without a cash payment to the clubs it actually does more harm than good. Cuckoo land of course.

The Chairman of the BSPA told me in Torun over the weekend that my piece in Speedway Star, which was the forerunner of this particular topic, did huge damage to British speedway, that the sport is quite healthy in the UK and that most tracks have reported increased attendances. At King's Lynn they improved dramatically after the sacking of Batchelor and Holder despite five consecutive home defeats. Fortunately he walked away before I could ask him what planet he was on.

WOW!!!

And this is the Leader of British Speedway?

WOW!!!

PS. Philip, you should be ashamed of yourself, single handedly bringing down the Sport...

I believe there were hundreds of thousands of fans planning to go to Speedway that week, inspired by the National Marketing of the Sport, however upon reading your comments they obviously decided against attending...

Maybe to get back into the BSPA good books you could do another 'In My View' along the lines of how next season 'More and More Guests For Every Absence' are the answer to bringing back huge crowds and increasing the credibility of the Sport... !

PPS. On a positive note though Phil, sales of the SS must be booming given so many fans are deterred from attending Speedway through reading your article and what influence on the Sport you and your team must have..!!

WOW!!! (again)....😨

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

I agree with the sentiment here - but crucially - the problem is that Speedway is in such a state now, that boycotting a Meeting could ultimately end up with said Track closing down.

Nobody wants that.

but isn't it what you've been doing for quite some time now?

I , along with many others have tried for a few years now, to offer my feedback as an attending fan on how things could be made better from the fan's point of view ( more crisply run meetings etc )and never even received an acknowledgement ( even by email! ). Those "in power" at the BSPA do not want to hear the opinion of fans ( or if they do they want to disregard it as a "what do they know" voice ). Now it's the season of "Support it or Lose it! calls by some promoters. They cannot seem to understand that what they are selling is less and less what many supporters do not want to buy. I am very unlikely to return to watch live in the stadium in 2018, for the first time in more than 60 years and it is not because of any infirmity! It is because of disillusionment with how the sport is run in the UK.

• Like 6

I , along with many others have tried for a few years now, to offer my feedback as an attending fan on how things could be made better from the fan's point of view ( more crisply run meetings etc )and never even received an acknowledgement ( even by email! ). Those "in power" at the BSPA do not want to hear the opinion of fans ( or if they do they want to disregard it as a "what do they know" voice ). Now it's the season of "Support it or Lose it! calls by some promoters. They cannot seem to understand that what they are selling is less and less what many supporters do not want to buy. I am very unlikely to return to watch live in the stadium in 2018, for the first time in more than 60 years and it is not because of any infirmity! It is because of disillusionment with how the sport is run in the UK.

That's how myself and many thousands up and down the country feel.....

• Like 1

but isn't it what you've been doing for quite some time now?

Yes, it is - and you know why.

I am being asked to buy a Product that I don't like, because of a Rule of the Sport that goes against everything I believe in.

I did not bring in that Rule, those who run the Sport did.

Are you saying I should spend further money buying something, in order to support the very people who made me leave the Sport of Speedway in the first place?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

balderdash&piffle, on 12 Oct 2017 - 3:38 PM, said:

Must be because he doesn't fiddle his expenses, unlike his opposition. Now that may be why speedway is in such a terrible state, too many promoters fiddling the expenses to run speedway, but keeping it for themselves instead of re-investing

they're all cut from the same cloth, Corbyn is just the poorer option!

Yes, it is - and you know why.

I am being asked to buy a Product that I don't like, because of a Rule of the Sport that goes against everything I believe in.

I did not bring in that Rule, those who run the Sport did.

Are you saying I should spend further money buying something, in order to support the very people who made me leave the Sport of Speedway in the first place?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

i think 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' is the saying

• Like 1

i think 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' is the saying

To be frank - you have had a couple of goes at me over this. I don't think sticking to my principles is, as you put it "cutting my nose off to spite my face".

I disagree with you and I think I have made that plain on a couple of occasions.

I can't see why you keep dragging it up to be honest. I do have a right to my beliefs. Unless you consider it otherwise, of course.

see post #594

Nobody wants that.

Oxford did and looked what happened to them.

see post #594

........... and............................?

Considering riders are supposed to be healthy eating athlletes these days there isnt half a lot of sudden illnesses especially on shared event days

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 5