Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

In your opinion.

The old tac rule bringing in more false results is not opinion ..it is fact .

Edited by orion

The old tac rule bringing in more false results is not opinion ..it is fact .

I was referring to your last line.

Any kind of tactical substitution system in any sport will produce a 'false result'. In football, for example, teams with strong squads (usually the bigger clubs) have the capacity to make changes which influence matches much more effectively than the majority of teams and yet no-one decries a football result in which a substitute scores the winner as being a 'false result'. The double points rule contibutes, with guests and doubling up, to an impression of speedway as not quite a serious sport. Of those mentioned, I think doubling up is a more serious issue.

• Like 1

Any kind of tactical substitution system in any sport will produce a 'false result'. In football, for example, teams with strong squads (usually the bigger clubs) have the capacity to make changes which influence matches much more effectively than the majority of teams and yet no-one decries a football result in which a substitute scores the winner as being a 'false result'. The double points rule contibutes, with guests and doubling up, to an impression of speedway as not quite a serious sport. Of those mentioned, I think doubling up is a more serious issue.

Rules are same all everyone in football.l in any sport including speedway people with the most money have the better teams but the rules and how you used them are the same for everyone ...only letting teams that are losing to bring on subs would be laugh out of town in football but somehow in Speedway it was ok ...I don't like double points but don't try to defend the old tac sub rule because it was just a bigger joke .

The double points rule does bring more entertainment as the riders in that race are under more pressure to get an 8-1 and try harder and/or have to tactically slow to let their partner through etc etc

I like the idea of teams who are down on points choosing gate positions .........

Rules are same all everyone in football.l in any sport including speedway people with the most money have the better teams but the rules and how you used them are the same for everyone ...only letting teams that are losing to bring on subs would be laugh out of town in football but somehow in Speedway it was ok ...I don't like double points but don't try to defend the old tac sub rule because it was just a bigger joke .

I never do. I don't think there should be any Substitutions at all. Speedway is all about Results on the Track. Any, ANY Substitutions/Double Points is a mere contrivance of the Result.

• Like 2

People never had a issue then because the rest of the product was good and we had forums like this and the internet in general ..ive been to speedway for many a year I not heard person moan about the old rule or the new rule while at a match

The point being made is the rule being a joke and it bringing us more false results ,not if it's more entertaining. And as I have pointed out the old rule gave us many more false results . The bottom line if the many more important problems were sorted out then on one would really care .

So you're suggesting from your post that it wouldn't be an issue today if the sport was in a much healthier state irrespective of whether the ruling is deemed fair or not?

Edited by steve roberts

I never do. I don't think there should be any Substitutions at all. Speedway is all about Results on the Track. Any, ANY Substitutions/Double Points is a mere contrivance of the Result.

Disagree. I would say it's all about entertainment on the track for those who have paid at the turnstiles.

• Like 1

here we go again, SPEEDWAY IS A SIMPLE SPORT. the rules are over complicated and in many cases not totally necessary in their current form.

Seven riders per team. 15 heats of 4 riders.

Four riders set off together go anti clockwise for four laps keep turning left.

The first rider over the line is the winner and earns 3 points, the other riders are awarded points accordingly 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

The team with the most points at the end of the meeting is the winner.

No T/Rs or T/subs needed, that is just manipulation of the result.

• Like 1

Away goals in European Club football when the tie is a draw on aggregate :wink:

That's nothing like the same thing at all since it is only decisive after full-time.

Now, if the losing team could suddenly declare that the next goal they scored would count double then that would be the same thing.

That's nothing like the same thing at all since it is only decisive after full-time.

Now, if the losing team could suddenly declare that the next goal they scored would count double then that would be the same thing.

And it's only used in cup competitions to avoid the need for a replay. Ironically speedway doesn't allow the Tac in cup competitions but does in league matches.

Guest compost

Best use of your reserves on a heat by heat basis (rather than Football substitution rule where one player is permanently replaced for another for the remainder of the match) is highly tactical and common in Speedway so if you don't like tactical moves in Speedway does that mean that you don't like it when a reserve is brought in to replace an out-of form teammate or even just to swap reserves around ? Today it seems that having 'strong' reserves is vital - surely that must be for 'tactical reasons' and not just the need to have strong numbers 6 & 7 for heat 2 ?

Use of reserves in a tactical manner (and thus giving 'false' results) has been around since the 30s - at a time when guests (other than for challenge matches), r/r and t/s's didn't exist. Presumaby all meetings where a reserve has so been used have been manipulated or contrived then ?

Steel hat on.

Best use of your reserves on a heat by heat basis (rather than Football substitution rule where one player is permanently replaced for another for the remainder of the match) is highly tactical and common in Speedway so if you don't like tactical moves in Speedway does that mean that you don't like it when a reserve is brought in to replace an out-of form teammate or even just to swap reserves around ? Today it seems that having 'strong' reserves is vital - surely that must be for 'tactical reasons' and not just the need to have strong numbers 6 & 7 for heat 2 ?

Use of reserves in a tactical manner (and thus giving 'false' results) has been around since the 30s - at a time when guests (other than for challenge matches), r/r and t/s's didn't exist. Presumaby all meetings where a reserve has so been used have been manipulated or contrived then ?

Steel hat on.

Reserves are there for replacing other team members, surely everyone accepts that?

• Like 1

So you're suggesting from your post that it wouldn't be an issue today if the sport was in a much healthier state irrespective of whether the ruling is deemed fair or not?

As I said when we had the stupid and ts rule the crowds were still large as the rest of the format was so good ..as I said I don't like any tac sub - double points rule but it's way down the list in UK speedway problems .

Guest compost

Reserves are there for replacing other team members, surely everyone accepts that

You could argue that the old t/s rule was also there for 'replacing other team members'. Reserves are just another tactical option available. In fact they can be more potent than any t/s rule as you don't need to be behind to use them and can use them in any heat to affect that heats result. Just pointing out that t/s's aren't the only way to affect the result of a match.

Edited by compost