British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

You could argue that the old t/s rule was also there for 'replacing other team members'. Reserves are just another tactical option available. In fact they can be more potent than any t/s rule as you don't need to be behind to use them and can use them in any heat to affect that heats result. Just pointing out that t/s's aren't the only way to affect the result of a match.

Yes but reserves are essential in case of withdrawals, even when we had six man teams there was a system in place if someone withdrew. Tactical's other than reserves were just invented to perpetuate the idea that Speedway isn't a genuine sport but a circus act. It's mainly since the rolling average was introduced that you can get reserves who are better than main body riders.

I never do. I don't think there should be any Substitutions at all. Speedway is all about Results on the Track. Any, ANY Substitutions/Double Points is a mere contrivance of the Result.

And the point of having a team manager would be?? At least with the 'old' tac sub rule, it gave the managers flexibility and made them think about things, unlike now where all they have to do is work out when/if to switch the reserves around, or bring them in for a top 5 rider who is under performing (unless the team is using R/R, of course).

• Like 1

This is a tricky one for me. On one hand, I don't like the artificial nature of double-point moves but on the other quite accept that the old tac sub was just as artificial in its way. The former tactical ride off 15m at least gave a balance of risk (that the chosen one would score poorly, not physical risk before anyone starts!) and reward.

To further confuse my outlook, I'm all for a set-up which enhances the challenge to, and influence of, a team manager. Way back when I can remember a Workington/Ellesmere Port match where the move and counter-move of TMs Ron Bagley and Joe Shaw was almost as interesting as the track action.

So I'm pretty confused, basically!

....Fourentee...........The former tactical ride off 15m at least gave a balance of risk (that the chosen one would score poorly, not physical risk before anyone starts!) and reward.

Think there might be a few refusals to ride from today's top riders. Too much like hard work coming from 15 metres back. :wink:

I'm just glad that during my thirty plus years following the sport that I didn't analyse the sport in that greater detail and was not critical and/or cynical of a replacement rider facility...whether T/S. Res/R or R/R.

I remember many a match when a result was snatched due to a tactical move and the Team Manager attempting to use his resources as best as he could. I also recall matches slipping away due to rider switching and replacement of same by the opposition. One went away from a meeting often feeling elated or deflated but that was the essence of the sport.

To me it was part and parcel of the sport and added to the entertainment value and kept us fans on the terraces guessing attempting to pre-empt the next tactical move.

How one rejoiced when an opposition tactical switch failed and a rider of lesser ability beat the incoming replacement rider or when a Team Manager declared a starting line up whereby heat leaders were able to ride in any position to combat possible tactical moves or when Team Mangers were able to place whoever in what gate in which to gain a potential advantage...and would we complain on the terraces if we had felt that the Team Manager had played a wrong card during any particular match (as Cyril Maidment experienced on one such occasion!)

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

We believe that Redcar will ride at Sheffield tomorrow night without ANY of their regular team members - so will have a full team of guests.

Compare this farce to 1988, when ONLY FOUR guests were used throughout the ENTIRE National League season.

The NL's director of operations, Alan Hodder, said at the time: “I think it proves we can get rid of them once and for all.”

• Like 2

We believe that Redcar will ride at Sheffield tomorrow night without ANY of their regular team members - so will have a full team of guests.

Compare this farce to 1988, when ONLY FOUR guests were used throughout the ENTIRE National League season.

The NL's director of operations, Alan Hodder, said at the time: “I think it proves we can get rid of them once and for all.”

As we know speedway and the way it is run in the UK has gone backwards in terms of credibility since 1988 ( and that is why so many fans have fled ). Now the Chairman is touting for "more guests"in true Oliver style! Believing it's the way forward.

The NL's director of operations, Alan Hodder, said at the time: I think it proves we can get rid of them once and for all.

If that's true Regards Redcar then the writing is well and truly on the wall for this once great sport! The old NL had got it right the only time I remember Ipswich using a guest in there 2 NL seasons was when Andy Galvin rode for us at home against King's Lynn in an inter league challenge.

• Like 1

And the point of having a team manager would be?? At least with the 'old' tac sub rule, it gave the managers flexibility and made them think about things, unlike now where all they have to do is work out when/if to switch the reserves around, or bring them in for a top 5 rider who is under performing (unless the team is using R/R, of course).

team managers should be a big part of the team, and i still think they should be able to change the lineup to suit, exactly how they used to for different tracks or teams.

having fixed gate positions, fixed riding order etc, all takes away from a managers job

• Like 3

If that's true Regards Redcar then the writing is well and truly on the wall for this once great sport! The old NL had got it right the only time I remember Ipswich using a guest in there 2 NL seasons was when Andy Galvin rode for us at home against King's Lynn in an inter league challenge.

1 Jake Allen (Guest for Ben Barker)

2 David Wallinger (NL Guest for Ellis Perks)

3 R/R Charles Wright

4 Connor Coles (NL Guest for Jonas B Andersen)

5 Josh Auty (Capt) (Guest for Jason Garrity)

6 Ben Morley (Guest for Tobias Busch)

7 Mitchell Davey (Guest for Danny Ayres)

3 R/R Charles Wright

Absolutely ridiculous - no wonder the bloody Sport is about knackered. :mad::mad::mad:

• Like 1

The minimum/maximum points limit should be scrapped and a much simpler A, B & C grading system introduced for SIX-MAN teams. As there is a shortage of riders, adopt a new race formula tailored to six-man teams (it was used before back in the 60s, I think).

Put riders into three different categories, based on their final averages, and let promoters sign whoever they want but they must choose TWO riders from each grade. For example:

GRADE A: 8.00-12.00

GRADE B: 6.00-7.99

GRADE C: 0.00-5.99

All foreign newcomers to be given a Grade B rating

Cut out all this throwing races nonsense to lower averages and teams being ripped apart over tiny margins of team averages.

Keep it simple.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 4

team managers should be a big part of the team, and i still think they should be able to change the lineup to suit, exactly how they used to for different tracks or teams.

having fixed gate positions, fixed riding order etc, all takes away from a managers job

Spot on do away with fixed gate positions fixed riding order double points double up and down and guests

• Like 1

Spot on do away with fixed gate positions fixed riding order double points double up and down and guests

You'll get NO argument from me on that. :t::approve::approve:

3 R/R Charles Wright

I have a bit of sympathy for them as 5 are injured and injuries cant be helped but the other 2 going on holiday is just not on and both should be fined ,I dont care if its a re aranged fixture , they have all winter to go on holiday , just another example of riders taking the pee
  • Like 3