Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

RIGHT on both counts. Promoter at Exeter and ciopromoter at Peterborough for a while.

Also has a very distinguished journalistic career and one-time Sports Editor of the Daily Star.

...as well as co-promoter at Barrow together with Ivan Mauger (1972?)

Seem to remember Chris Harris refusing to attend the last Coventry one because he'd got to pay for his partner.

Correct. He refused while Kasprzak and Woryna came from Poland to attend. I was disappointed with his decision.

Correct. He refused while Kasprzak and Woryna came from Poland to attend. I was disappointed with his decision.

I fail to see what legitimate criticism one could offer towards an invited guest expecting the courtesy of a 'plus one' .

It is the norm in all walks of life and event/function I have attended.

To not do so is just bad manners..

• Like 2

I fail to see what legitimate criticism one could offer towards an invited guest expecting the courtesy of a 'plus one' .

It is the norm in all walks of life and event/function I have attended.

To not do so is just bad manners..

Not to mention penny pinching in the extreme. Especially if you expect the rider to be a part of the reason fan's are going. No doubt one of the reasons why some clubs have folded.

Some kind words for Peter Oakes but lets not lose sight of the fact that the sport's decline happened on his (and obviously various others') watch.

Evidently he doesn't (didn't) have all the answers.

Edited by Stoke Potter

Fair point Stoke Potter...

When the Speedway Star has been full of letters for years now pointing out the obvious decline of the Sport, as well as the obvious flaws in every 'fix'..

And when the internet forums have done the same ad infinitum for the past ten years or so...

So many within the 'inner circle' decided not to pay heed to the issues staring them directly in the face and the clear feedback received from their customers...

Even now some feel everything is 'rosy in the garden' I am sure..

Where we are today didn't suddenly happen, it has been well voiced and predicted by thousands of disillusioned and disappointed fans who have (as a minority) hung on through a sense of loyalty or (as a majority) simply walked away..

More of the same nonsense each week, at admission costs far exceeding the value of what's on offer, can only erode the ever dwindling fan base more I would think..

Let's hope someone listens and acts accordingly..

Totally agree! Those at the top with delusions of grandeur, need to take off the rose tinted glasses and see things for what they are. One league, no double-ups, anyone who doesn't like it or reckons they can't afford to carry on, can go elsewhere, the sport is more important than they are.

• Like 1

Not to mention penny pinching in the extreme. Especially if you expect the rider to be a part of the reason fan's are going. No doubt one of the reasons why some clubs have folded.

More evidence of just how poor some of theses promotional teams are..

Having said that it won't be a surprise to many bees fans that it happened , given the quality of the guy running the show.

• Like 1

More evidence of just how poor some of theses promotional teams are..

Having said that it won't be a surprise to many bees fans that it happened , given the quality of the guy running the show.

and the quality and actions of the guy who allowed him to promote Coventry. :o

and the quality and actions of the guy who allowed him to promote Coventry. :o

There is only one person responsible for the actions of Mick Horton.

You , as someone who claims to be a "mature person" would understand that I would imagine.

Anything else you might be alluding to would have no bearing on my previous post.

Edited by Dave Jones

There is only one person responsible for the actions of Mick Horton.

You , as someone who claims to be a "mature person" would understand that I would imagine.

Anything else you might be alluding to would have no bearing on my previous post.

You are alluding to the quality of promotional teams. Well do you blame Horton or Sandhu for closing Coventry ?

You are alluding to the quality of promotional teams. Well do you blame Horton or Sandhu for closing Coventry ?

No question about who closed Coventry Stadium, and it wasn't Mick Horton.

However Avtar Sandhu cannot, in anyway, be blamed for the truly appalling decision to charge a riders partner for entry to a presentation night, an act that is almost guaranteed to backfire.

I agree with Woz, though. Harris' actions in boycotting do him absolutely no credit either.