British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

I can just imagine it- the riders pay is part dependant on a crowd of 1000 plus. 1st week "sorry boys 980" 2nd week "sorry boys 970" etc etc

You would have to rely on the integrity of the Promoter obviously..

Like any business that runs PRP...

I am sure integrity won't be a problem as its Speedway..😁

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

As far as I know the top points money in the UK Premiership is £200 a point plus those guarantees that no-one does want to talk about but in the days of Sky TV money was said to be, for example for Iversen at KL was £1,500. Meaning that for a maximum he could take home £4,000 to £5,000.

As far as I know the top points money in the UK Premiership is £200 a point plus those guarantees that no-one does want to talk about but in the days of Sky TV money was said to be, for example for Iversen at KL was £1,500. Meaning that for a maximum he could take home £4,000 to £5,000.

I`m pretty sure Doyle would not get his leg over his bike for £200 a point !!!!!

Guarantees are not added to points money- they are the money the rider gets paid if he earns less than the guarantee

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

People always seem to forget, when we talk about 1000 or 1500 people through the gate this has to cover home and away costs, if said rider scores 12 points at home, and 10 points away thats 22 points money the rider has earned, all taken from the 1 home meetings gate money.

However the fact remains, promoters simply should not be paying out what is not coming in, if riders dont like it tough.

• Like 3

People who think that a club's speedway income is purely down to fan attendance, should think again.

Whether the club owns its own stadium or rents, costs will differ. Local advertising and commercial income (local sponsorship) will often more than tip the balance of whether a club is financially successful or not.

A promoter once told me that they 'lose money as soon as they open the turnstiles'!!!

Edited by Skidder1

I`m pretty sure Doyle would not get his leg over his bike for £200 a point !!!!!

Guarantees are not added to points money- they are the money the rider gets paid if he earns less than the guarantee

WHICH is essentially where the Sky money went and why tracks who have previously received that money will have to rewrite their budgets for 2018.

• Like 3

So we can assume that Doyle is being paid £500 per point at Swindon currently? Including the guarantee or is that a straight £4 - 5k guarantee ( match fee ) regardless of points scored? Other "lesser" riders are getting paid £200 a point in the premiership - do you think? Other than the tax man concerns, I cannot see why all riders and promotions are so very coy about outgoings on riders payments - while at that same time pleading poverty to fans. We are all in it together except that promoters lose more money ( and the remaining fans lose their favourite sport).

It is a refreshing read by Philip Rising, but that because agree with what he says. But you have got to persuade the powers that be and the fans who think what speedway offers today is brilliant. To long-standing supporters the Golden Double is regarding ridiculous; but how will newcomers take to the old tac sub if it is recalled and it is new to them? Fine line here.

It would be interesting to know if Philip Rising would still be interested in the sport if he wasn't writing about it. He seems to have the views of many who have stopped attending.

So we can assume that Doyle is being paid £500 per point at Swindon currently? Including the guarantee or is that a straight £4 - 5k guarantee ( match fee ) regardless of points scored? Other "lesser" riders are getting paid £200 a point in the premiership - do you think? Other than the tax man concerns, I cannot see why all riders and promotions are so very coy about outgoings on riders payments - while at that same time pleading poverty to fans. We are all in it together except that promoters lose more money ( and the remaining fans lose their favourite sport).

I think it's more of a private matter what riders get paid more than anything else, if a rider wants to tell people how much he earns then fine but I feel it's not right for anybody else but as much as the outgoings for riders are substantial a lot of them do make good money or at least decent money but as been said many times it's not that they don't deserve it and more it's just not there anymore , reading Workington's piece in the star , they are struggling to get crowds of 500 , that is very alarming to everybody but it won't even register with riders , I do sympathise with the riders to a point but why are they not asking for costs to be cut ? Everytime they are offered something to cut costs they don't want to know because in their head they will be somehow at a disadvantage and they can't see that in the long run they will be the one who gains , Steve worralls response was this is 2017 not 1967 the sport has moved on , has it ? Cause as far as I can see it's gone backwards Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

It is a refreshing read by Philip Rising, but that because agree with what he says. But you have got to persuade the powers that be and the fans who think what speedway offers today is brilliant. To long-standing supporters the Golden Double is regarding ridiculous; but how will newcomers take to the old tac sub if it is recalled and it is new to them? Fine line here.

It would be interesting to know if Philip Rising would still be interested in the sport if he wasn't writing about it. He seems to have the views of many who have stopped attending.

WATCH just about every meeting on TV and would probably go to BV if I lived nearby Unfortunately, in Surrey, we are devoid of any local track let alone one that consistently serves up entertainment. So, yes, I am still interested in the sport and via Speedway Star have a vested interest in it.

In response to waytogo28, I would be very surprised if Doyle was receiving the sort of money he intimated.

• Like 2

People who think that a club's speedway income is purely down to fan attendance, should think again.

Whether the club owns its own stadium or rents, costs will differ. Local advertising and commercial income (local sponsorship) will often more than tip the balance of whether a club is financially successful or not.

A promoter once told me that they 'lose money as soon as they open the turnstiles'!!!

...and of course the money received during the one-off World Final era when held at Wembley/Bradford when the receipts were shared out amongst the tracks and kept many afloat. Of course this revenue was lost when the GP series kicked in something that the late John Berry always raised.

• Like 5

WATCH just about every meeting on TV and would probably go to BV if I lived nearby Unfortunately, in Surrey, we are devoid of any local track let alone one that consistently serves up entertainment. So, yes, I am still interested in the sport and via Speedway Star have a vested interest in it.

In response to waytogo28, I would be very surprised if Doyle was receiving the sort of money he intimated.

Thanks Phil. So your views are in all honesty and they should carry some weight. Let's all hope they do!

Four or five years ago a rider I know of guested for a then Elite League team at Number Seven....

He was an experienced second string in the PL..

His deal was a basic £600 and £100 a point for every point over four..

He scored four so just got his £600..

If thats a Number Seven deal then what were the rest on?

Wouldn't have thought those numbers have come down any since then..

Didn't the fast track lads get an agreed £450 per match minimum? That's £1800 for both FTR's each team would need to find to pay for the home and away match..

Approx 120 fans worth of income after tax just to pay the reserves?

In a crowd of at best at most tracks 1000 - 1200 or so.

And the FTR was brought in to reduce coats so how much would two of the old foreign experienced 4-5 point men reserves cost?

Four or five years ago a rider I know of guested for a then Elite League team at Number Seven....

He was an experienced second string in the PL..

His deal was a basic £600 and £100 a point for every point over four..

He scored four so just got his £600..

If thats a Number Seven deal then what were the rest on?

Wouldn't have thought those numbers have come down any since then..

Didn't the fast track lads get an agreed £450 per match minimum? That's £1800 for both FTR's each team would need to find to pay for the home and away match..

Approx 120 fans worth of income after tax just to pay the reserves?

In a crowd of at best at most tracks 1000 - 1200 or so.

And the FTR was brought in to reduce coats so how much would two of the old foreign experienced 4-5 point men reserves cost?

Utter madness that has only one outcome - unless the BSPA suddenly wake up, come to their senses and act fast.

Round about 2007/8 speaking to a rider who rode in what is now Championship as aHeat Leader and as a reserve in Elite League told me he was paid £80 a point and guarantee of 3pts scored in Elite League.He was on a sliding scale in Championship.

Edited by Fromafar