British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

Spellchecker For The Forum?

I am wondering if there is a way to get Spellchecker on the Forum whilst using Firefox as my Browser?

As a sad 'old git' who is losing his memory regarding such things it would be a great help.

If anyone does know, I would be obliged if you could tell me how to apply it in a simple step by step Guide.

I am a total Computer numpty.

Thanking you in anticipation.

I am wondering if there is a way to get Spellchecker on the Forum whilst using Firefox as my Browser?

As a sad 'old git' who is losing his memory regarding such things it would be a great help.

If anyone does know, I would be obliged if you could tell me how to apply it in a simple step by step Guide.

I am a total Computer numpty.

Thanking you in anticipation.

...can't help dear boy! I'm of the same.

I can wire up a model railway but computers are lost on me!

• Like 1

Firefox has a built in spell checker which runs by default in any multi line text boxes, so should run on the forum when you are writing a message.

However, if you have no dictionaries installed with it, it has nothing to check against. In order to install a dictionary, you can right click in the text box and select the "Add Dictionaries" option. If you already have dictionaries installed you would see a right click menu option for "Languages" where you can select the language you want to use.

Edit - More info, and probably a better explanation than I gave, can be found here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

....numpty....

Is that how you spell that word?

Alright, I'll get my coat.

For the record, my computer seems to spellcheck my replies all on it's own. I'm using Google Chrome. numpty comes up as tympanum which is "the tympanic membrane or eardrum" or "a vertical recessed triangular space forming the centre of a pediment, typically decorated". So there.

• Like 1

Hope there's one which converts the misuse of "of" to the correct "have" !

• Like 4

I work for a manager who uses that expression quite often.

Is that how you spell that word?

Alright, I'll get my coat.

For the record, my computer seems to spellcheck my replies all on it's own. I'm using Google Chrome. numpty comes up as tympanum which is "the tympanic membrane or eardrum" or "a vertical recessed triangular space forming the centre of a pediment, typically decorated". So there.

These spell checks can be a nuisance when they 'correct' a word - then bring up a completely different meaningless similar word. And one forgets to reread the Post before placing it on the group - and then follows the 'usual abuse' from your 'dedicated followers'.

These spell checks can be a nuisance when they 'correct' a word - then bring up a completely different meaningless similar word. And one forgets to reread the Post before placing it on the group - and then follows the 'usual abuse' from your 'dedicated followers'.

You do post a lot of carp though.

• Like 2

...or the americanised version!

You do post a lot of carp though.

I think we need to further debate this on GENERAL DISCUSSION in the Fly Fishing thread there. So far no Poster in that topic has mentioned how to catch carp! :lol:

You may find this Link useful to you nw42:

http://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/advice/tips/articles/20-carp-fishing-tips-to-try-right-now

Edited by Guest

Firefox has a built in spell checker which runs by default in any multi line text boxes, so should run on the forum when you are writing a message.

However, if you have no dictionaries installed with it, it has nothing to check against. In order to install a dictionary, you can right click in the text box and select the "Add Dictionaries" option. If you already have dictionaries installed you would see a right click menu option for "Languages" where you can select the language you want to use.

Edit - More info, and probably a better explanation than I gave, can be found here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

Thank you very much for that HenryW. I will wait until my son comes home and give it a go. That's because if I muck it up he can, hopefully, put things right.

Again - many thanks. :t::approve: :approve:

The usage of "of" instead of "have" does annoy the hell out of me.

• Like 3

WAS taught light years ago that there is no such word as alright. It should be all right although it does seem to be accepted now. Learnt was also a no no. Had to be learned.

WAS taught light years ago that there is no such word as alright. It should be all right although it does seem to be accepted now. Learnt was also a no no. Had to be learned.

Oh aye, you were a wizard with the spelling :D

37109871845_8a7d113ae7.jpg

• Like 3