British Speedway Forum
bellevueace

Belle Vue V Cradley

Dan Bewley still out with his injury problem Ben Hopwood guests, the Colts still running r/r for Lee Payne, Tom Perry out for the Heathens with r/r being utilised. There has been a lot of heavy overnight rain and some heavy showers this afternoon with bright periods. Forecast is showing a heavy band of rain moving in due to hit Gorton between 1900-2000 and lasting until late. The track can take a good soaking but if the outlook is correct it does not bode well for just after tapes up.

Does that mean at Mildenhall on Sunday only Lawlers riding, I'd read it was just Joe and Conner anyway

I'm definately taking a meeting in Sunday but because of this farce it looks like il go somewhere where my own teams not riding. Bonkers really. Then again I bet wherever I go there be guests and r/r anyway

Going to Sheffield instead, was going tonight but with 3 guests and r/r what's the point

Well the rain came just before the start time and we had a torrential downpour with water standing on the track, start time was put back to 8pm to give the track a chance. Once the rain had stopped the track did start to drain fairly quickly and the riders came out to give it a go, predictably the Colts got into their stride from the word go but the Heathens riders started to find their way as the track dried out, there were a few heavy showers during the meeting and conditions were difficult. Smith, Shuttleworth, and Bickley all rode well ably backed by the lower end. For the Heathens Hall was involved in a couple of good races and rode well but I was very impressed with Carr, he rode superbly all night and was more than a match for the home riders. Overall some good racing in very tricky conditions, wonder what some of the seniors would have made of those conditions? You wouldn't have seen the likes of Holder for dust, just a pity both sides were not at full strength.

Edited by bellevueace

Well the rain came just before the start time and we had a torrential downpour with water standing on the track, start time was put back to 8pm to give the track a chance. Once the rain had stopped the track did start to drain fairly quickly and the riders came out to give it a go, predictably the Colts got into their stride from the word go but the Heathens riders started to find their way as the track dried out, there were a few heavy showers during the meeting and conditions were difficult. Smith, Shuttleworth, and Bickley all rode well ably backed by the lower end. For the Heathens Hall was involved in a couple of good races and rode well but I was very impressed with Carr, he rode superbly all night and was more than a match for the home riders. Overall some good racing in very tricky conditions, wonder what some of the seniors would have made of those conditions? You wouldn't have seen the likes of Holder for dust, just a pity both sides were not at full strength.

Excellent summary. At 7.30 I wouldn't have given the match a chance of going ahead, but I must have forgotten that this track is different! Only work deemed necessary was a number of track staff with brushes (!). Started prompt at newly announced time of 8pm. and the boys from both teams gave it a good go. OK, not brilliant racing but riders got stuck in.

And despite another heavy shower the track held up well and towards the end there was actually some passing! Just wonder if it had been a first team match if riders would have been so willing to ride. Hats off to the riders on show tonight from both teams.

(Aside: Dan Bewley appeared towards the end a couple of seats from us and he sat there riding every race as if he were out there!)

The track was the star of the show, after that downpour. Credit to all riders, who have a big cleaning job to do on kevlars and equipment!

Agree with last couple of posters. Arrived at 7 & the track looked spot on. Two hefty showers later & there looked no possibility of racing to me. How wrong I was. Then downpour no.3 & 4 arrived...

Both sets of riders really attacked the track as best they could in the circumstances. Carr, Hall & Harris in particular gave the home lads a real fight. Most importantly no-one tried any stupid moves & respected their opponents.

Judging by Smithy spraying his teammates, including a laughing Andy Mellish, with a post heat 15 doughnut & Liam Carr applauding the crowd the length of the grandstand post race, the boys had a good time.

Tonight reminded me that there's a lot to like about NL racing.... & I'm hooked!

Edited by mikec
  • Like 2

Firstly credit to the quality of the track.... doubt if any other British track would have taken such a battering re rain and within half an hour be ready to start racing.

Secondly, a big-plaudit for the riders who came out and gave it their all... they were all a credit to the sport.

I agree with all of the comments crediting the riders and track staff for what turned out to be a far more entertaining match than I expected. Riders attacked the track from the first race and although gating was vital there were some good races later on.

Even Hyde Road wouldn't have produced the quality of racing we had tonight considering the amount of rain that fell. Those who designed the track and the drainage system did an excellent job.

Just a big thanks to all the riders track staff and everyone involved in getting the meeting on last night.

I came away from and left my wife at an all day wedding to see this meeting and at 7.30 I thought I had dropped a massive clanger.

I could go back to the wedding for the last hour or so and justify my absence to my wife by reporting that the colts had rode to a storming 59 - 31 victory giving us a big lead and a great chance of progressing to the next round.

Thankfully I have a very understanding wife but the meeting being run made a few funny looks from other guests worth while.

Thanks again for everyone involved COLTS FOR THE CUP.

• Like 2