British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Carter, Morton,simmons,louis,wilson What Order.?

Have been doing my ratings on the British riders over the years and these five riders i had pretty close together i wondered what your opinions were. my order. 1./ Carter. 2./ Simmons 3./ Wilson, 4./Louis 5./ Morton.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Have been doing my ratings on the British riders over the years and these five riders i had pretty close together i wondered what your opinions were. my order. 1./ Carter. 2./ Simmons 3./ Wilson, 4./Louis 5./ Morton.

1. Simmons

2. Louis

3. Wilson

4. Carter

5. Morton

Carter -should have been World Champ in 82. Penhall had him off.

Louis - rostrum place in my first ever World final.

Simmons - might have put him second if he hadn't deliberately dropped his average at Swindon.

Wilson - 1975. Booooo!!

Morton - possibly because he was always second heat leader behind Peter Collins.

Edited by grachan

1 - Simmo

2 - Louis

3 - Morton

4 - Wilson

5 - Carter

1. Simmo. Always no.1 for me after seeing the match that turned him into a star in 1965

2. Carter. Never really liked him, but was the best of the rest.

3. Louis. See Wilson

4. Wilson. On another day these two could be the other way round!

5. Morton. Probably for the same reason as grachan.

• Like 2

1 - Simmo

2 - Louis

3 - Morton

4 - Wilson

5 - Carter

WK you are a man i Respect !!! Carter at 5 really.😜🤓 Edited by Sidney the robin

Hey Sidney the robin - re Morton: is that Wal, Val, Chris or Dave! :lol:

Edited by Guest

Carter -should have been World Champ in 82. Penhall had him off.

Louis - rostrum place in my first ever World final.

Simmons - might have put him second if he hadn't deliberately dropped his average at Swindon.

Wilson - 1975. Booooo!!

Morton - possibly because he was always second heat leader behind Peter Collins.

Louis beat Crash from the back Wilson after a first ride fall that really cost Ashby it did hurt at the time but i was a big Bostik Willy fan anyway so it did not matter.

You have a guess you tell me.??? 😀😜 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Yes,because Wall and Val were contemporaries of the others and also of roughly the same class!!!hahahahahaha har

Yes,because Wal and Val were contemporaries of the others and also of roughly the same class!!!hahahahahaha har

• Like 1

You have a guess you tell me.???

​I am glad you saw the humour in my query Sidney the robin as evidenced by the :lol: that I posted. However, both the Mortons Wal and Val rode for England - Wal in pre-war tests in Australia, and Val also in Australia in the early 1950s. Val was a protege of the legendary Jack Parker. :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Guest

Carter Simmons Louis Morton Wilson

Probably Aces bias to put Mort ahead of Wilson

But I would point out to Grachan that 81-86 Mort was Aces top HL ahead of Ross/Collins (Pc of course rode only a handful of meetings in 81 and never regained his earlier form on returning). BLRC champ, IC champ, 6 or 7 world finals, world pairs champ, WTC champ, British champ, 2nd in BL averages in 84 - a pretty impressive record, actually I've convinced myself that he deserves 4th place at least!

Carter

Simmons

Louis

Wilson

Morton

Would add that of that list, Carter is the only one imo with a genuine claim to have been the best rider in the world in a given year (82).

Frigbo , Eace's are both blokes who have there own opinion which surprised me Carter i did not think would be top of those five but for me he was a bit ahead.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Wouldn't think you'd be surprised by me having Carter top Sid.

can't think of anyone better round Hyde Rd and the shay. And not many better round Odsal either.