British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Carter, Morton,simmons,louis,wilson What Order.?

Carter was never a Team man. That is why I have rated him so low.

I don't hate him either Chunky and I never said I did. I said I didn't like him - there is a rather big difference there don't you think?

I like Speedway Riders who are basically Team men - the others all qualify for that - Carter doesn't. Ergo he is at the bottom of my List and will stay there.

But you put a rider at the top who confessed to involvement in bribery.

Carter was never a Team man. That is why I have rated him so low.

I don't hate him either Chunky and I never said I did. I said I didn't like him - there is a rather big difference there don't you think?

I like Speedway Riders who are basically Team men - the others all qualify for that - Carter doesn't. Ergo he is at the bottom of my List and will stay there.

Okay, you didn't say that, so I apologise.

However, I still find it sad that because you don't think of someone as a "team man", that you totally allow that feeling to negate all ability and achievement. You know in your heart that it isn't true, but I realise you are entitled to your opinion. Still, we've had others on this forum who thinks Carter's name should be expunged from speedway completely...

Steve

But you put a rider at the top who confessed to involvement in bribery.

My judgement was purely based on Speedway ability and not his personal life - as was my judgement on Carter..

Okay, you didn't say that, so I apologise.

However, I still find it sad that because you don't think of someone as a "team man", that you totally allow that feeling to negate all ability and achievement. You know in your heart that it isn't true, but I realise you are entitled to your opinion. Still, we've had others on this forum who thinks Carter's name should be expunged from speedway completely...

Steve

I don't agree with that either. Carter was a great Rider, even though I didn't like him. His record speaks for itself and should remain for all to see.

Surely when picking the best Rider it should be about the total Rider, the total package. He might even be the best Rider of the five mentioned - I said might. But he was no Team man. That is a big thing with me - the others were and that makes all the difference.

Good read this topic, someone mentioned the fact that Mort was always riding under the shadow of PC, ok they were mate but even so... I have to ask what would opinions of Mort be if PC hadn't won the final in 76? Without knowing the exact figures it's likely that their 2 careers would have pretty much mirrored each other, both had Pairs, WTC & BLRC successes, both had good long track careers including medals.

I know it's off topic but these threads do throw up some diverse thinking.

I was fortunate enough to see both PC & Mort from their training school days right through virtually all of their careers and tbh I find it hard to split them, both excellent team riders, both terrible gaters, PC was the darling of the Aces faithful but that is probably just down to the fact that he had around a 12month start over Chris.

• Like 2

Good read this topic, someone mentioned the fact that Mort was always riding under the shadow of PC, ok they were mate but even so... I have to ask what would opinions of Mort be if PC hadn't won the final in 76? Without knowing the exact figures it's likely that their 2 careers would have pretty much mirrored each other, both had Pairs, WTC & BLRC successes, both had good long track careers including medals.

I know it's off topic but these threads do throw up some diverse thinking.

I was fortunate enough to see both PC & Mort from their training school days right through virtually all of their careers and tbh I find it hard to split them, both excellent team riders, both terrible gaters, PC was the darling of the Aces faithful but that is probably just down to the fact that he had around a 12month start over Chris.

Again, like I said earlier, it seems that PC "overshadowing" Mort was more in the minds of the supporters than on the track itself. Really, PC was a little ahead of Chris - partly because of the World Final, of course - but looking back, they were perhaps a lot closer in ability than we realised at the time.

Steve

Guest compost

Based on talent

Carter

Simmons

Louis

Morton

Wilson

Based on how much I looked forward to seeing the Racers turn over their team when they visited Smallmead

Louis (Ipswich)

Morton (Belle Vue)

Simmons (Poole)

Wilson (Leicester/Birmingham)

Carter (Halifax)