British Speedway Forum

I'm guessing that it was introduced to save costs but only lasted the one (?) season if I recall.

1997 in the PL

I hope no one saw my analysis as a justification for moving to 6 man teams. If nothing else changes I think the percentage of guests and RR used would remain about the same meaning we would rhen move, effectively, to 5 man teams.

Averages are, as I alluded to, a course measure. Can a rider with a 4 point average sometimes score 8 or 0? Well of course he can. But measure his performance over 10 matches or move and you would ecpect him to score about 4. This is the same. If there 2 riders "missing" on average per meeting do we expect a guest or rider replacement every time we turn up? Well there are more scientific answers to that question other than straight averages. But what is your experience? 19 meetings out 95 where both teams were fully manned with their own riders. Surely the most damning statistic of all. We all moan, yes. But we're almost conditioned to expecting the odd guest/RR or 2. These "facilities" should be the exception, not the norm. We have a rider injured or riding in the U21s tobnight, well okay. We have multiple riders riding for someone else. Excuse me, that cannot be right.

I'm guessing that it was introduced to save costs but only lasted the one (?) season if I recall.

1997 and 1998, Steve....

• Like 1

1997 and 1998, Steve....

Wasn't 1997 the year that the away team adopted the numbers 7 - 12?

• Like 2

1997 and 1998, Steve....

No 1998 was 7 man teams in the PL!

• Like 2

No 1998 was 7 man teams in the PL!

Yes I recall now when Oxford re-joined the upper league it operated with six rider teams.

Another example of speedway adopting different rules within the different leagues. If I remember the National League had a different race formula to the British League during the early eighties.

Edited by steve roberts

Yes I recall now when Oxford re-joined the upper league it operated with six rider teams.

Another example of speedway adopting different rules within the different leagues. If I remember the National League had a different race formula to the British League during the early eighties.

Did they well there both new to me LOL!