British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

10/04/76 Swindon V Sheffield Ashby V Jansson Golden Helmet.

I was just looking through all my programmes and on this day the Golden Helmet match race took place at the Abbey.Crash won this in two straight legs but the strange thing was Tommy stayed for the second half and got to the final and was beaten by Kilb .I just wondered if anyone can remember seeing the deciding leg at Cradley Tommy won it (maybe Bruno??).

I got Tommy Jansson's autograph that night. He was there on his own in the away pits, sitting against the back wall, then, as you say, came out in the second half.

I was also at that meeting and remember the Golden Helmet match race...may have been the last time I saw Tommy race?

I was also at that meeting and remember the Golden Helmet match race...may have been the last time I saw Tommy race?

That was certainly the last time i see him ride, i see him at the Abbey in 75 scored 11 (Also the WF at Wembley) also Steve he rode at White City in 76 early on maybe you see that to.???

I got Tommy Jansson's autograph that night. He was there on his own in the away pits, sitting against the back wall, then, as you say, came out in the second half.

Strange that dont you think he must of been on a good guarantee?? in those days at Swindon you had a cheap side as well the gate to get through to the starting gate side was usually opened at about heat 10.
  • Like 1

Yeh I was there Sid just shows how the helmet was viewed in them days for riders to turn up at tracks when there own team wasn't there. Last time I saw Tommy race. Very sad

That was certainly the last time i see him ride, i see him at the Abbey in 75 scored 11 (Also the WF at Wembley) also Steve he rode at White City in 76 early on maybe you see that to.???

Strange that dont you think he must of been on a good guarantee?? in those days at Swindon you had a cheap side as well the gate to get through to the starting gate side was usually opened at about heat 10.

Yes I saw Tommy ride at White City's opening meeting and he was involved in two classic races with Gordon Kennett.

I only saw him race twice in the flesh, both at Exeter. Once at a league match in 1975 when he scored about 12 I think & was beaten by Ivan 3 times & then in the SGC in 76 when he ripped through the card for a full max. Very stylish, very quick, very sad.

• Like 2

Yes I saw Tommy ride at White City's opening meeting and he was involved in two classic races with Gordon Kennett.

I was there as well Steve. From memory, didn't Tommy win the 2nd half final.
  • Like 1

I was there as well Steve. From memory, didn't Tommy win the 2nd half final.

Memory plays tricks but I think (?) Gordon passed Tommy to win both heat 13 and the final...but I may be wrong!

Great memories of Wood Lane!

PS I regret getting rid of all my programmes!!!