British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

I notice crowds went up by 65% the season prior to the introduction of the play-offs. How can we know that the improvement would not have carried on had the play-offs not been introduced.

You are so right. If those foolish promoters had not introduced the play offs they would no doubt have an average crowd today somewhere around the 8.7million mark...
  • Like 3

I notice crowds went up by 65% the season prior to the introduction of the play-offs. How can we know that the improvement would not have carried on had the play-offs not been introduced.

You don't know, that is the whole point.

We can be pretty certain in that it wouldn't have continued going up by 65% however as the crowd grows it becomes harder and harder to increase it further.

It's not relevant though in the context of this discussion as Flange consistently claims that the introduction of the play offs in Sweden had an 'immediate negative impact'. That was clearly not the case.

I have not once stated the attendances increased BECAUSE of the playoffs, there were other factors involved... Rickardsson, Boom period for Swedish speedway etc.

You are so right. If those foolish promoters had not introduced the play offs they would no doubt have an average crowd today somewhere around the 8.7million mark...

Ridicule it as much as you like, but it shows interest in Swedish speedway was on the rise prior to the introduction of the play-offs.

Ridicule it as much as you like, but it shows interest in Swedish speedway was on the rise prior to the introduction of the play-offs.

Yep, no dispute there. BUT the figures clearly don't show the immediate decrease that Flange claims. Figures are higher after the play offs were introduced bs is say it's probable that they are one of several factors behind the increase.

Yeah you are right fred. Say I release a new product and in the first year sales grow from 100 units to 1000 units. In the 2nd year I market the product differently and sell 9000 units. I should call myself an utter fool for having used such an unsuccessful marketing strategy that has hamstrung my business performance and seen a decline with growth. I've got you Fred, it's a shame all those promoters across a variety of sports are too foolish to see it as well.

I do think crowds can drop off for teams that have already qualified for the play offs.What is annoying is the fact that for the final the crowd is much bigger than for a normal league match.Why don't these glory hunters support every match?Probably because of the number of riders missing every week and double up issues.To get crowds up for league matches we have got to sort out domestic league racing.A decent crowd for the play offs is papering over the cracks.

• Like 1

I do think crowds can drop off for teams that have already qualified for the play offs.What is annoying is the fact that for the final the crowd is much bigger than for a normal league match.Why don't these glory hunters support every match?Probably because of the number of riders missing every week and double up issues.To get crowds up for league matches we have got to sort out domestic league racing.A decent crowd for the play offs is papering over the cracks.

Not in my experience. Being in the Playoffs, the team is obviously winning so no reason to miss meetings. That's logical.

Because the play off final is just that, the final, with Champions at the end, nothing better than that.....

No, absolutely not

If a lower league side draw someone like Liverpool or Arsenal in the Cup this year they will take with them more fans than they would for a league game most weeks.

If a side who doesn’t regularly win the FA Cup makes the Final, they will take more fans with them than they typically would to league games.

When Liverpool won the Champions League hundreds of thousands of people lined the streets to welcome them home

Huddersfield and Reading played in the Play Off Final last year in front of 76,682 people – each sides average attendance added together came to under 40,000.

The reasons these same people don’t attend their football clubs matches each and every week isn’t because of rules in the sport they don’t like, just as that isn’t the sole reason attendances differ in Finals compared to league meetings, and as hard as some on here might find this to believe it is nothing to do with the rules of speedway either!

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

If we do, can they be on different nights instead of trying to cram 30 heats in

Look at the time and they still haven't finished

Presentation is less than top class too trying to cover two meetings

I thought BT did quite well to be honest. Remember, this is their first year of transmitting Speedway. If they do it again next year, I am sure things will get better.

They must be given a chance.

I thought BT did quite well to be honest. Remember, this is their first year of transmitting Speedway. If they do it again next year, I am sure things will get better.

They must be given a chance.

I'd be happy to give them another 5 years if they'll agree to keep speedway on our screens!

• Like 1

It would be much simpler and far quicker for all if they simply broadcast one meeting live, let the other one run as normal and simply showed the pre-recorded heat from the other meet in between. All be done and dusted by the normal time.

• Like 2

It would be much simpler and far quicker for all if they simply broadcast one meeting live, let the other one run as normal and simply showed the pre-recorded heat from the other meet in between. All be done and dusted by the normal time.

Yea its painful being at these matches waiting for the other meeting to run it's heat ..it's ok intill there is a stoppage etc and it's all go's to pot .

• Like 1