British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

General Running Costs ..

"Dregs" is a bit of an over the top description. I presume you are referring to people at Leicester. Well at least someone there had

the courage and audacity to build a new stadium, almost unheard of these days...and no Public money like Belle Vue. I'd find it hard

to criticise that. Of course, although you call yourself Leicester Hunter, you may NOT be a Leicester fan...Hunter name goes back many

many years to the old Blackbird Rd. Even their last years were as the Lions. Don't know much about Patchett. He doesn't appear on my

radar too often, if at all. He's Cradley isn't he ? They've had their share of success, so what's wrong with the promoter ?

No, I am not referring to Leicester at all, my pseudonym on here alludes to where I live.

I did start attending speedway at the fabled Blackbird Road stadium in 1976, before returning to Birmingham (it's a long story....) and I have supported the Brummies since August '77.

I can assure you the term 'dregs' is not OTT when it comes to Alan Philips, in fact I find it a considerable understatement. He did his best to destroy the club, having got rid of everyone with any speedway knowledge and commercial acumen, and then proceeded, along with his idiot son, to blame the fans for the management's own shortcomings in the most abusive way possible.

Gary Patchett leased the club in 2010, and his legacy was to leave a trail of debt, including unpaid rent to the GRA. I understand Tony Mole had to pay all rent owed before the Brummies could take to the track to commence their Elite League programme in 2011. As I understand it, Patchett is still banned from entering Perry Barr Stadium as a result. You can also throw in the nastiness over unpaid wages at Swindon in 2013 for good measure.

I would never criticize anyone for building a track and promoting speedway in this day and age (I may think they've taken leave of their senses), it's a massive undertaking not to be taken lightly. Whatever the political wranglings that have gone on at Leicester, it's a great shame, and I sincerely hope Damien Bates can keep the Lions flag flying high. At the end of the day though, it's no longer my club of choice, and as for the track, well, Blackbird Road it isn't, it's not for me.

I hope this goes some way in explaining as to who I am, and my own personal take on things.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Leicester Hunter
  • Like 4

Thanks Dave...Leicester Hunter. Now I understand where you are coming from although I am not familiar with the goings on at Birmingham over

ther past few years. I only know that Tony Mole rescued it, as he has done in other places at different times. It seems such a shame that he is being

lost to the game. Not totally certain why, but I was told that it was to do with the way that the BSPA are treating the National League. Can't understand

any reason for the 3rd league to have any problem with the BSPA or anyone else. All they do is to find fresh new talent which is good for the game,

so if the BSPA are in fact, as suggested, harming the league, there must be something that we don't know about. Shame

• Like 1

The bspa stopped NL teams signing assets for a starter, and at a meeting that NL Clubs could not even attend.

There is the priority rules written clearly for example original fixtures takes priority over the rearranged fixture. Yet this rule gets overlooked when the National League is concerned. It's so much the poor relation it is unfunny.

The bspa stopped NL teams signing assets for a starter, and at a meeting that NL Clubs could not even attend.

There is the priority rules written clearly for example original fixtures takes priority over the rearranged fixture. Yet this rule gets overlooked when the National League is concerned. It's so much the poor relation it is unfunny.

The National league has never had priority over riders not sure where that idea has come from. Buxton are the only current club to have been in this league from the beginning. There have been numerous changes some good and some bad and we have had plenty of riders who were riding for PL teams but never had priority over a rider except for the Riders Championship and that was not always the case.

The National league has never had priority over riders not sure where that idea has come from. Buxton are the only current club to have been in this league from the beginning. There have been numerous changes some good and some bad and we have had plenty of riders who were riding for PL teams but never had priority over a rider except for the Riders Championship and that was not always the case.

If nothing else i must tip my hat to Buxton. To be the only current club to have been in the league from the beginning takes some serious staying power and for that i salute the efforts of everyone involved.

• Like 6

Buxton's longevity in the league is even more astonishing if you consider that the track is so far from civilisation that it's a wonder

anyone can find it. This is from conversations with others as I have never visited it myself. Tried to find it on a map, but failed.

Worth finding, even if only for the views which are spectacular in the extreme. Speedway thrown in as icing on the cake. My first ever away meeting following the Devils (2006 IIRC) with a second meeting later the same day at Stoke. Lost both!

• Like 1

Worth finding, even if only for the views which are spectacular in the extreme. Speedway thrown in as icing on the cake. My first ever away meeting following the Devils (2006 IIRC) with a second meeting later the same day at Stoke. Lost both!

Do you still follow the devils ?

Do you still follow the devils ?

Yes I do, though I haven't travelled for an away meeting recently.