Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, jenga said:

we are used to the inconsistent  speedway riders . we had along period of being broken in last season on the number 6 spot . so hopefully it wont be too bad watching klink.  lol

Surely Sarj was very consistent - he never failed to pee you off :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very consistent . fans were running a book on him @ home meetings . heat 2 should have been his all day long @ home . we were lucky to get a second place now and then...  he seemed to have good meetings while guessting for glasgow .cough .  but still , 2018 should be good for him now they are relaxing the start rules . you can jump the starts . great news for MPT, sarj, rene b , rrrrricky wells , just about %65 of riders actually , prob more !

roll on March and hot summer nights..  lol .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Paul Johnson said:

his average is 2.19. with a reduction it is 2.13. we only have 2.11 to play with,  

Averages are totally ridiculous and anti speedway when putting sides together. What is the difference between rider on 2.13 and another on  2.11? Absolutely nothing, so why not simply GRADE the riders and keep them on track! Lets be honest, Alfie Bowtell( who I consider a really good prospect by the way) would have a practically rounded average of 2 points and which could equate to say a C grading for team building purposes. Makes sense to me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gradings are more unfair than averages

There always has to be a cut off somewhere

How do you set the gradings? Most likely using average bands.

So instead of all teams building to 42.50 you have 1 grade A (9 point+) 2 Grade B (7.50 to 9) 2 Grade C (4.50 to 7.50) 1 Grade D (3 to 4.50) 1 Grade E (under 3)

Team 1 signs riders on 10, 8.99, 8.99, 7.49, 7.49, 4.49 and 2.99 - 50.44

Team 2 riders on 9, 7.5, 7.5, 4.5, 4.5, 3 and 2 - 38

Extreme example perhaps but gradings would be less likely to achieve parity of teams and riders woukd still not fit due to being 0.01 over the limit and being put in the next grading

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Gradings are more unfair than averages

There always has to be a cut off somewhere

How do you set the gradings? Most likely using average bands.

So instead of all teams building to 42.50 you have 1 grade A (9 point+) 2 Grade B (7.50 to 9) 2 Grade C (4.50 to 7.50) 1 Grade D (3 to 4.50) 1 Grade E (under 3)

Team 1 signs riders on 10, 8.99, 8.99, 7.49, 7.49, 4.49 and 2.99 - 50.44

Team 2 riders on 9, 7.5, 7.5, 4.5, 4.5, 3 and 2 - 38

Extreme example perhaps but gradings would be less likely to achieve parity of teams and riders woukd still not fit due to being 0.01 over the limit and being put in the next grading

 

I dont know on what basis the current 42.50 figure is actually set. But why not give scope by increasing the points limit to say 46 as being realistically the minimum required to win a meeting. Trying to achieve parity in team building is pretty much impossible in any sport and Speedway appears unique in this respect. There will always be goliaths but it gives the rest something to aim at. It's an extreme example but back in the 70's no way were the Saints sides built anywhere near the likes of Crewe or Boston. But the sport worked and the crowds were watching. Obviously the demands of today's Championship are much higher but my point is that figures don't have to match exactly to achieve a workable and exciting competiton. In my opinion gradings would simplify and keep riders on track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A team scoring 46 match points will have a total average around 42.50 for team building not 46

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

A team scoring 46 match points will have a total average around 42.50 for team building not 46

Go on, l'm intrigued, how does that work. I may be missing something but 46 points to win a meeting simply equates to 6.57 per rider. Whereas 42.50 reduces to 6.07 per rider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Broadsider said:

Go on, l'm intrigued, how does that work. I may be missing something but 46 points to win a meeting simply equates to 6.57 per rider. Whereas 42.50 reduces to 6.07 per rider.

This old chestnut again :)

Averages are the average points per ride x 4.

In a 15 heat match, two riders have a nominated ride in heat 15 giving them 5 rides, but their averages are still per ride x 4.

For example: A team has 42 points after heat 15 with scores of 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 4, 4. Team average = 42.

In heat 15 they get a 4-2, giving them 46 points. Rider 1 scores 11 from 5 - average 8.8. Rider 2 scores 9 from 5 - average 7.2

Team averages are now: 8.8, 7.2, 6, 6, 6, 4, 4 = 42.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×