British Speedway Forum
IronScorpion

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2018

5 minutes ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Danny Phillips according to a friend on facebook who was at the meeting

Many thanks.

Pleased Danny's got the ride, no pressure on him, just get out there and do his best... it's all we ask.

All looking good so far... Scorpions fans got reason to be optimistic for the season ahead.

Great night at the 'meet the riders'.. thanks to Rob and Duffyscouse for putting the night on. Some great banter from the lads... the interaction from the audience was good and constructive... all in all, a good night, well attended. raised a bit of cash... bodes well.

Also interesting to hear of some rule changes coming in this season... 1. Refs to be more relaxed about starts... 2. When a race is stopped after 2 laps and a team is in a comfortable 5-1 at the time, the rider in 3rd place will go off 15m in the rerun.. 3. Top five scorers now eligible for heat 15.

Edited by Albert

9 hours ago, Albert said:

Pleased Danny's got the ride, no pressure on him, just get out there and do his best... it's all we ask.

All looking good so far... Scorpions fans got reason to be optimistic for the season ahead.

Great night at the 'meet the riders'.. thanks to Rob and Duffyscouse for putting the night on. Some great banter from the lads... the interaction from the audience was good and constructive... all in all, a good night, well attended. raised a bit of cash... bodes well.

Also interesting to here of some rule changes coming in this season... 1. Refs to be more relaxed about starts... 2. When a race is stopped after 2 laps and a team is in a comfortable 5-1 at the time, the rider in 3rd place will go off 15m in the rerun.. 3. Top five scorers now eligible for heat 15.

Whilst change 2 may bring an element of fairness it certainly won't add to the overall entertainment. In 90% of such reruns it will just result in a boring race. 

To me it's another example of unnecessary tinkering. Fans moan when such races have to be stopped, particularly when a rider stays down to get the race stopped but I and I suspect most fans, prefer a genuine rerun rather than handicapping one rider. You may as well just award the race.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Albert said:

Also interesting to here of some rule changes coming in this season... 1. Refs to be more relaxed about starts... 2. When a race is stopped after 2 laps and a team is in a comfortable 5-1 at the time, the rider in 3rd place will go off 15m in the rerun.. 3. Top five scorers now eligible for heat 15.

I can see/rather have the following:

1. Yet more inconsistency.  

2. Just award the race

3. Not a problem with that, as such, but I've always felt heat 15 should be the top two scorers on the night (if fit to race) from each side.

P.S Good luck to Danny P.

Edited by StevePark
To wish DP good luck

I sais a couple a weeks ago that Danny was your best bet, and pleased to hear he has now got the place. He will do well for you but needs to be given a bit of time to get fully up to speed, which he will do. We got him before he was ready unfortunately, but with Stevie R in your ranks he will be in good hands and will make a mockery of a 2 average.

12 hours ago, Albert said:

Also interesting to hear of some rule changes coming in this season... 1. Refs to be more relaxed about starts... 2. When a race is stopped after 2 laps and a team is in a comfortable 5-1 at the time, the rider in 3rd place will go off 15m in the rerun.. 3. Top five scorers now eligible for heat 15.

I am pleased we have Danny as I was a little dubious due to his ties with "Motive" & agree, no pressure.

It was a great night & it seems Garrity is a character & a bit more :D

Concerning the rule changes

1. If they don't touch the tapes, let them go but get the start marshall to do his/her job & get the riders at the tapes correctly. If there is an infringement though, there will still be a gathering at the pits as we wait for the decision of -15m or reserve. For me, the rider is at fault & is excluded with no replacement, rider suffers, team suffers. 3 riders only.

2. If it is a comfortable 5-1 then it should still be awarded but if the result in doubt then apply the new rule. It will be the refs interpretation of the action if a race is stopped.

3. Even with the old rules, it could have been any 2 from 6 riders (top 3 by CMA & top 3 by programmed rides)

There was, also, a mention of the reserves could be in any order so not lowest at 7. That could be interesting in changing your no7's around a bit.      

28 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I am pleased we have Danny as I was a little dubious due to his ties with "Motive" & agree, no pressure.

It was a great night & it seems Garrity is a character & a bit more :D

Concerning the rule changes

1. If they don't touch the tapes, let them go but get the start marshall to do his/her job & get the riders at the tapes correctly. If there is an infringement though, there will still be a gathering at the pits as we wait for the decision of -15m or reserve. For me, the rider is at fault & is excluded with no replacement, rider suffers, team suffers. 3 riders only.

2. If it is a comfortable 5-1 then it should still be awarded but if the result in doubt then apply the new rule. It will be the refs interpretation of the action if a race is stopped.

3. Even with the old rules, it could have been any 2 from 6 riders (top 3 by CMA & top 3 by programmed rides)

There was, also, a mention of the reserves could be in any order so not lowest at 7. That could be interesting in changing your no7's around a bit.      

Forgot about that one IronS :)

Wish i'd of asked Rob to clarify the new rule regarding Tactical Subs... How many times can it be used?  twice? 

Once between heats 5 & 14 but not 8

Edited by IronScorpion
  • Like 1

Also at last nights function... press and practice was hastily arranged for this coming Friday night (16th).... Think Rob said from 5pm onwards.  Slight confusion over track availability but I assume its going ahead.

Scunthorpe fans loving this new look lineup but cant wait to see their faces when the team comes to Sheffield and gets ironed.

15 minutes ago, OdsalBoy said:

Scunthorpe fans loving this new look lineup but cant wait to see their faces when the team comes to Sheffield and gets ironed.

With Mason Searsby in the Sheffield side?

56 minutes ago, Fozzie4388 said:

With Mason Searsby in the Sheffield side?

Absolutely mate, failing that i reckon mellish could do a job.