British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

White City 'rebels'

Fabulous article in the latest 'Backtrack' magazine regarding the 40th Anniversary of 'The Rebels' British League win in 1977.

Puts into perspective the background as to why the 'The Rebels' were granted the R/R facility for the season...and not the only team which is often overlooked! The title was achieved because 'The Rebels' had the resources and the riders to do the job expected.

Nice to see Mike Sampson (how about an interview with Mike?) on the front cover who was often a match winner and the win at Hull (of which he was very instrumental) must have got right up the nose of Ian Thomas!

Great memories from a great team!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I've actually got one of the league champions shields that was given to the riders. I got it from the late lee dunton a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

An interview with Kai Niemi would prove interesting.

He joined 'The Rebels' early during the 1976 season to replace Rickard Hellsen (who never adjusted to the track after a useful year previously at Cowley) and one could see immediately the potential. Always remember the first meeting of the 1977 season at White City (King's Lynn) where he passed both Michael Lee and Terry Betts (one on the outside the other the inside) during one lap...great stuff!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Steve, I hope the piece served as a fitting tribute to Lee Dunton.

And yes, I'd be delighted to interview both Kai Niemi and Mike Sampson. Mike is a tricky man to track down, so if anyone has contact details, please PM me, or contact Tony Mac at Retro Speedway.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Steve, I hope the piece served as a fitting tribute to Lee Dunton.

And yes, I'd be delighted to interview both Kai Niemi and Mike Sampson. Mike is a tricky man to track down, so if anyone has contact details, please PM me, or contact Tony Mac at Retro Speedway.

All the best

Rob

Hi Rob...yes it was a fascinating article and brought back so many happy memories for one who made the weekly trek to Wood Lane for three years.

I'd be interested in reading what Mike would have to say about his weekly jaunts up to Barrow from his Exeter home. Last I heard he was an electrician (?) down in his native Devon. In my view he was very instrumental in the successful championship winning team as well as his undoubted input at Arlington.

Kai had tremendous ability and I believe could have achieved more but a great talent all the same...a great little competitor.

What about john Dews and Neil Cameron. Two very short lived rebels!

Always liked John Dews. Struggled at first at Cowley (a replacement for the non-arrival Dave Hemus if I recall) but gradually got to master the track and improved his average year on year however never mastered Wood Lane in his short stint and retired from the sport. If I remember 'The Rebels' used Steve Weatherly as cover for the rest of the season doubling up with Eastbourne.

I think Neil only rode in one meeting (Swindon?( failing to score.

Having only ever supported Wembley I did not think I would ever feel the same about another team. I went to quite a few meetings at other tracks but it was never the same , in fact the pleasure I got was from supporting the away side. However I did manage to get almost the same feeling towards White City and their League title win was great. I was in the same state of limbo when they closed but fortunately in recent years I have managed to form an allegiance to Peterborough.

• Like 1

Good article on White City, reminded me of Mike Sampson. You know how some folk always seem to have their sleeves rolled up no matter what ? Well Mike always seemed to have his sleeves rolled up when riding :wink: .....

• Like 1