British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Workington Comets ( S G B Championship) - Sunday, September 17th (5.30pm)

SCORPIONS SEARCH FOR CONFIDENCE-BOOSTING WIN

HENDERSON INSURANCE Scunthorpe Scorpions will complete their home league meetings, when they host Workington Comets in SGB Championship action at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Sunday (5.30pm).

It’s not quite the final action for Scunthorpe on their home circuit, since there’s also the visit of Peterborough Panthers in Knockout Cup action on a week on Friday (September 22), plus the chance of further progress in that competition, if Scorpions can overturn a 18-point-deficit from the first leg.

Scorpions are due to be at full strength on Sunday, while a drawcard is the presence of British Champion and national skipper Craig Cook, who is almost certain of a place in the Speedway Grand Prix series in 2018. Cook was missing when Comets visited on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey says: “We ran up a big score against the Comets when they visited us for the A fixture only three weeks ago on August Bank Holiday Monday - that 61-30 win was our biggest win of the season.

“Meanwhile, the 50-43 away win at Workington at the beginning of last month was probably our best performance of the year and so we really do need to be looking at beating the Comets for the third time this season on Sunday.

“Last weekend, we were exposed yet again by an Edinburgh team who simply got their heads down and got on with it when the rain came halfway through the meeting. Somehow, we managed to turn an eight-point lead into an eight-point defeat within the space of just six races.

“On Sunday, our riders need to step up and give us a bit of fight and passion against a Workington side that we know we can beat.

“If we can do that, hopefully it will give us a bit of belief and a bit of confidence that we can have a right good go against Peterborough in the Knockout Cup and try to pull back that 18-point deficit to reach the semi-finals.”

Godfrey is urging fans to make the most of the chance to see action at the Eddie Wright Raceway before the season ends.

“We’ve only got one guaranteed home match after this one”, he stated.

“Only too soon it will be the winter, and then it will be a long time before supporters can get their speedway fix again.

“I’m sure there will be some great racing on Sunday. Craig Cook was missing for Comets last time around, and he’s always good value around our track, plus our old friend Thomas Jorgensen will be in action.

“Jake Allen had a brilliant home debut for us last Sunday, and it’ll be interesting to see how he fares against the top Comets.”

Admission prices for Sunday:

Adult: £15.00

Student/OAP: £13.00

Child (10 – 17): £5.00

Child (0 – 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £35 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-17)

Match Programme: £1.00

Expected teams for Sunday:

Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions: 1. Lewis Kerr, 2. Jake Allen, 3. Michael Palm Toft, 4. Ryan Douglas, 5. Josh Auty (captain), 6. Tero Aarnio, 7. Josh Bailey.

Workington Comets: 1. Craig Cook, 2. Mason Campton, 3. Ty Proctor, 4. Matt Williamson, 5. Thomas Jorgensen, 6. James Sarjeant, 7. Paul Bowen.

Edited by lucifer sam

i think we have ann summers at number 7 for us . going by the last time he rode for us at scunny, it will be good enough . just !

Either this one or Newcastle Sunday, takes hour and half extra to get to Newky and it starts an hour later but I've never been there before and saw Worky at Peterborough last week. Decisions decisions

Either this one or Newcastle Sunday, takes hour and half extra to get to Newky and it starts an hour later but I've never been there before and saw Worky at Peterborough last week. Decisions decisions

anywhere but newcastle , its like a training track and has track issues .

• Like 1

Tom "half a lap behind" Wooley with be number 7 as our promotion have totally given up an seen to have no intention of booking anyone else.

Proberly will be Scunny even though I've been there a good few times, got Newcastle Berwick and Redcar to do so might do a northern tour on the bike next year

Proberly will be Scunny even though I've been there a good few times, got Newcastle Berwick and Redcar to do so might do a northern tour on the bike next year

yeah I'd save Newcastle until next year, you're not missing anything :wink:

I would save it until next century, you still wont miss anything.

• Like 3

Could be worse if he was going to Worky of course. They couldn't even beat us at home last week.

Could be worse if he was going to Worky of course. They couldn't even beat us at home last week.

This is a fact regarding the result.

• Like 1

Danger money to go to Rough, whoops Brough park ... you didn't win us either so can't see your point

• Like 1

anywhere but newcastle , its like a training track and has track issues .

You are just about 2 or 3 decades out with that comment.