Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington V Edinburgh 16/09/17 7:00pm Champ

i guess its no surprise that the unoffical comets forum is off line tonight

as for the comets management

well they deserve all the flack they get

my mate asked me tonight if id be unhappy if speedway r4an next year at workington and i found it hard to give him a answer

the junior match afterwards had more entertainment than the 15 long heats tonight

paul bowan would have been shown up in the 125 races as he couldnt turn his bike during the main meeting

the kids showed what a entertaining close race the track could produce

in the interest of speedway james sargent should be banned from the sport which also inclueds the start off next season

he is a disgrace to the whole sport

ive never ever seen a rider remove his helmet during a race before

ive seen riders get a fine for doing practice starts on parade without a helmet so james should at least get a fine

Edited by scarra

my mate asked me tonight if id be unhappy if speedway r4an next year at workington and i found it hard to give him a answer

the junior match afterwards had more entertainment than the 15 long heats tonight

paul bowan would have been shown up in the 125 races as he couldnt turn his bike during the main meeting

in the interest of speedway james sargent should be banned from the sport which also inclueds the start off next season

ive seen riders get a fine for doing practice starts on parade without a helmet so james should at least get a fine

He should be sacked immediately seems he deliberately went thru the tapes 3 times,no interest in going off 15 metres,gestured to the crowd and threw his race jacket at the owner,he's barely scoring anyway, so we may as well finish the season with six riders
  • Like 1

He should be sacked immediately seems he deliberately went thru the tapes 3 times,no interest in going off 15 metres,gestured to the crowd and threw his race jacket at the owner,he's barely scoring anyway, so we may as well finish the season with six riders

weve been saying this for weeks

its so obvious what hes doing

its in the best interests of both workington comets and british speedway to get rid of him

workington speedway is almost dead and james sarjent is a big part of it

the promotion/management must take a lot of the blame but this guy is responcible for for a good few fans not going anymore and i know that for a fact

also tonight they switched ty to 5 and used ulrich as a guest for jorgonson at 3

the change in rider order is 2 and 4 but yet again the promotion/management wont give the loyall fans that are left what they are asking for

its with a very heavy heart that i say it looks like speedway in cumbria is in its last few weeks

Edited by scarra
  • Like 1

I was told on the centre green that James had been fined £300 and that in one of the tape breaks his clutch had failed. Hoping that we still have a team next year but something needs to change..

• Like 1

I was told on the centre green that James had been fined £300 and that in one of the tape breaks his clutch had failed. Hoping that we still have a team next year but something needs to change..

id say your right about heat 2

james was unlucky in that 1 as max clegg mooved first and also jumped his 2nd ride but wasnt pulled back

really feel for laura as shes put a lot of money into speedway but unfortunatly she is surounded by people who are not good for workington speedway

right or wrong id say theres a few that need to move on if speedway at workington has a future

and to think we had 1 of the biggest crowds sometime back with 1500+ for a long time

how long do riders get to pay fines hopefully he wont pay and gets banned

Edited by scarra
  • Like 2

come on glasgow , sign sarj now. dont wait until 2018 L.O.L.

any speedway club who signs this nugget are asking for trouble .

never witnessed anything like this guy . he is an insult to our sport .

from a 5 poimt average to around a 2.5 while he has been turning up for workington .

sticking a finger up at the crowd shows what he thinks of workington speedway and its fans .

yep , that bargain average is getting better all the time .

i wonder if he is like that at the traffic lights in his car , always going on the amber ..

from 12+2 last night to 1+1 tonight . iif the bspa allowed it , i would rather run with 6 riders than this effort of a human being .

disgraceful , shambolic , abysmal , all the gear , but no idea . joke speedway rider . total fake and a failure .

very premature ,, in all things !

Edited by jenga
  • Like 2

Well that's the second time I've been to Derwent Park this season, the last time I commended on how many fans were there (or not there more to the point) in fact that addendace was massive looking at tonight's, really enjoyed the 2 match, maybe the way forward for Workington is the NL? If not I'm afraid it's RIP to the Comets

Think this meeting easily trumps the performance earlier in the season against Ipswich?

One of the most "heartless" meetings I've ever seen a Comets side put up in god knows how many years and the only positive thing I can say about this is a BIG well done to Mason Campton, without him for definite this would have been even more embarrassing, solid enough performances in support from Ostergaard/Proctor but unfortunately that's where it all ended?

Too easy for Edinburgh, Wells back at his best, Erik Riss just too good throughout, looked way too fast for our blokes and although he fell away a bit, Masters had done his winning when it was needed, solid efforts from the rest and play off time it is with an easy four pointer?

Three home meetings left to try and resurrect some pride in the team and at least go out with a bang as after this catastrophe unless there are some serious personnel changes both on and off the track this looks very much like the end of the Comets, I dont want it to happen but these collapses in form shouldn't keep happening, yes, I know we cant win anything but we can still keep winning and performing at home and keep the flag flying, you cant just give up like tonight and expect supporters to keep paying to watch? :nono:

Best thing to do now is just draw a line under this, regroup for tomorrow and start again, we wont be this bad, surely!!! :)

PS.

As for the Serjeant business, after that little strop the guy just needs to step back, take a deep breath and calm down, he wont go anywhere performing like that? He proved last night he can score points so why he falls apart down here is an absolute mystery to me, he was unlucky in the reserve race but, as for the rest of it, what happened, total enigma??? :unsure:

• Like 1

I would just have sacked Sargent there and then after he removed his helmet during the race and gave the finger to the crowd. What did he expect, a round of applause?

He is an embarrassment to the sport and should receive a lengthy ban carried over into 2018, which may prevent him getting his apparent wish to ride for Glasgow next season.

I would like to start by stating i do not like writing posts like this and some will say why write them, but it was obvious by Sargent's display tonight he made no effort to race in his early races and approached the meeting with the attitude to do what most who attended tonight believe was a deliberate act to manipulate his average or go all out in what seems to be his vendetta against Workington. For a home rider to turn a home crowd against them like he has, is the first i have ever witnessed at Derwent Park. It absurd that any governing body of any sport can allow this to happen and potentially contribute to the demise of any club, due to the club not being able to make the necessary changes to try and remedy the situation, it has been forced into by the rules of our sport.

I admit some people may believe these are strong words and not the backing any rider deserves, but if there was a facility to make a change i am sure those who have witnessed his displays most weeks, would agree he should be replaced. If the Workington promotion had the facility to do so and they didn't react, those people who disagree with my post would probably be the first to criticise the club for not doing so. The promotion clearly tried to make the necessary changes early season to strengthen the team, but unfortunately this did not pan out as they deserved, due to rumors i believe which did not come to fruition. This is clearly not the motivation any rider deserves and like i said i do not enjoy writing it, but when you consider James's display tonight and previous comments he has publicly made, combined with the recent crowd attendances, how can Laura financially commit to the future of Workington Speedway with this dwindling lack of support.

• Like 1

I don't think Worky. are alone in struggling - they might be ok for next year if div 2 divests itself of the riches it can not afford and those riches move to div1 and abroad

• Like 1

I disagree to an extent.

Both of the Riss brothers pulled off brilliant passing moves - Mark in particular when he got some terrific speed to shoot past Proctor round the final two corners.

Funny thing was I thought that it was a battling performance from Campton, Proctor, Williamson & Ostergaard. If Workington had had a decent reserve this would have been much, much closer.

Replacing Cook was almost impossible and would have been even if the Comets have tried weeks ago. Over half the league was riding anyway and most of the other top Championship riders were in the Premiership riders meeting. Comets had little choice but to use RR.

As to Sarjeant, I'd have sacked him weeks ago and brought in virtually anyone else because they couldn't be that much worse. His ridiculous tendency to get excluded for starting offences is actually getting worse (if that's possible) and once off 15 metres he wasn't interested. Word I got was that he had to be persuaded to stay on after the second exclusion - although he has no-one to blame but himself - and was fined heavily by the referee for delaying the start.

I felt desperately sorry for Laura Morgan because no-one can say she hasn't tried hard at Workington. A crowd of 350 or so with no real hope of improvement means just one outcome, because she simply can't continue losing that much per meeting. ​I really hope I am wrong because a trip up to Cumbria with decent company, a couple of pints and some tea in the town and usually a pretty decent meeting is something I'll miss.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

I would like to start by stating i do not like writing posts like this and some will say why write them, but it was obvious by Sargent's display tonight he made no effort to race in his early races and approached the meeting with the attitude to do what most who attended tonight believe was a deliberate act to manipulate his average or go all out in what seems to be his vendetta against Workington. For a home rider to turn a home crowd against them like he has, is the first i have ever witnessed at Derwent Park. It absurd that any governing body of any sport can allow this to happen and potentially contribute to the demise of any club, due to the club not being able to make the necessary changes to try and remedy the situation, it has been forced into by the rules of our sport.

I admit some people may believe these are strong words and not the backing any rider deserves, but if there was a facility to make a change i am sure those who have witnessed his displays most weeks, would agree he should be replaced. If the Workington promotion had the facility to do so and they didn't react, those people who disagree with my post would probably be the first to criticise the club for not doing so. The promotion clearly tried to make the necessary changes early season to strengthen the team, but unfortunately this did not pan out as they deserved, due to rumors i believe which did not come to fruition. This is clearly not the motivation any rider deserves and like i said i do not enjoy writing it, but when you consider James's display tonight and previous comments he has publicly made, combined with the recent crowd attendances, how can Laura financially commit to the future of Workington Speedway with this dwindling lack of support.

as a neutral and after reading a lot or your posts i have to say that my heart goes out to the promotion, supporters and to some extent, most riders in your team with obviously one exception.i remember saying to the wife several years ago at scunthorpe where we first saw serjeant ride about how fast and smooth he looked on a bike and earmarked him as one for the future but warning signs were there with his petulance in a national league encounter between himself and nathan grieves and things seem to have gone downhill from there culminating in the disgraceful attitude to the sport last night.yes,he should now not ever ride again for the club and i certainly know who i would rather have between him and adam roynon,who ,i believe, had a bit of a raw deal when he was moved on at owlerton to accommodate ty proctor.adam would have been a very very good rider if it hadn't have been for his injuries and to this day i still enjoy watching him ride.it has also been a baptism of fire for young matt riding at four.did expect a few more points from ty as well but i could go on.i really feel for your promotion and supporters and know what it is to have really bum seasons at sheffield as well so all i can offer is chins up and for the remainder of fans to get behind your team for the remainder of the season because you certainly don't even want to contemplate the alternative.workington are very important to all supporters up and down the country and it would be a very sad loss to see them fold.

• Like 3

I disagree to an extent.

Both of the Riss brothers pulled off brilliant passing moves - Mark in particular when he got some terrific speed to shoot past Proctor round the final two corners.

Funny thing was I thought that it was a battling performance from Campton, Proctor, Williamson & Ostergaard. If Workington had had a decent reserve this would have been much, much closer.

Replacing Cook was almost impossible and would have been even if the Comets have tried weeks ago. Over half the league was riding anyway and most of the other top Championship riders were in the Premiership riders meeting. Comets had little choice but to use RR.

As to Sarjeant, I'd have sacked him weeks ago and brought in virtually anyone else because they couldn't be that much worse. His ridiculous tendency to get excluded for starting offences is actually getting worse (if that's possible) and once off 15 metres he wasn't interested. Word I got was that he had to be persuaded to stay on after the second exclusion - although he has no-one to blame but himself - and was fined heavily by the referee for delaying the start.

I felt desperately sorry for Laura Morgan because no-one can say she hasn't tried hard at Workington. A crowd of 350 or so with no real hope of improvement means just one outcome, because she simply can't continue losing that much per meeting. ​I really hope I am wrong because a trip up to Cumbria with decent company, a couple of pints and some tea in the town and usually a pretty decent meeting is something I'll miss.

i agree mason really stood up last night and gave his all

which is another point in switching him and matt around in the riding order

but hey us fans only watch from the outside were not the ones looking for a reason to pull the plug

• Like 1