British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WalterPlinge

Refereeing Cock-up At Swindon V Belle Vue Ko Cup

Ty Proctor?

they were also using R/R and it all got a bit messy- the illegal guest took an illegal R/R or something like that- Matt Ford came up with a marvellous excuse for the cock-up saying he hadn`t attended the conference so wasn`t aware the rule had changed. !!!!!!

I wonder what Rosco`s excuse will be ;)

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

The meeting took a while because of who the ref was, renown for holding the tapes a while!!!!!!!

Heat 3, as stated, he has not actually started the race so becomes a frustrated ride & does not count.

Heat 5 becomes his 1st ride

Heat 9, as I see it, is that he will only have 3 programmed rides so the only option is -15m

Heat 12 is the same as heat 9.

Note; I have read the updates & know about the injury to Smith's subsequent visit to the hospital.

Edited by IronScorpion
  • Like 1

The SCB must amend the result and can do irrespective of any protest- especially as this is a 2 legged contest. Also scorechart still not up on BSPA website.

I don't doubt what you say and I fully acknowledge your superior knowledge of speedway, however, surely grachan has a point? If a ref makes a mistake, it is just that. I know results have been adjusted for varying reasons in speedway but it doesn't happen in other sports.

Maradonna's hand of God, Pedro Mendes effort v Man U. People edging the ball in cricket and not being given.

These are examples where the results are materially affected by officials making mistakes but results are allowed to stand, however, speedway seems to correct those mistakes.

Is this how it's always been? Given how other sports accept the position should Speedway follow suit?

football now has goal line technology, if the ref makes a mistake, then the 4th official notifies him of the TV evidence and the correct decision is made.

Speedway is so far behind we shouldn't compare the 2 sports. If the ref made a mistake then his decision from that heat should stand until the BSPA say otherwise.

• Like 1

I don't doubt what you say and I fully acknowledge your superior knowledge of speedway, however, surely grachan has a point? If a ref makes a mistake, it is just that. I know results have been adjusted for varying reasons in speedway but it doesn't happen in other sports.

Maradonna's hand of God, Pedro Mendes effort v Man U. People edging the ball in cricket and not being given.

These are examples where the results are materially affected by officials making mistakes but results are allowed to stand, however, speedway seems to correct those mistakes.

Is this how it's always been? Given how other sports accept the position should Speedway follow suit?

Surely the difference is that if it's a question of interpretation, then the results stands. But if the rules were broken, black and white, the result should be subject to change.

football now has goal line technology, if the ref makes a mistake, then the 4th official notifies him of the TV evidence and the correct decision is made.

Speedway is so far behind we shouldn't compare the 2 sports. If the ref made a mistake then his decision from that heat should stand until the BSPA say otherwise.

Until the BSPA say otherwise? That's a bit risky!

What there should be is a set procedure for events like this, and that should be followed every time. What's the betting there isn't?

• Like 1

Until the BSPA say otherwise? That's a bit risky!

What there should be is a set procedure for events like this, and that should be followed every time. What's the betting there isn't?

Thats what I was referring to about the BSPA.

they were also using R/R and it all got a bit messy- the illegal guest took an illegal R/R or something like that- Matt Ford came up with a marvellous excuse for the cock-up saying he hadn`t attended the conference so wasn`t aware the rule had changed. !!!!!!

I wonder what Rosco`s excuse will be ;)

I imagine the SCB official (referee) wasn't aware either!! :rofl: Maybe the rule book was delayed in the post?!

Edited by Skidder1

Didnt a Redcar rider have an illegal R/R ride or something vs Somerset last season? Although it was pointed out on here and it meant Somerset lost a league point they would have otherwise won the BSPA deemed it a "statement of fact" by the referee because Somerset had not appealed before the next heat?

Surely the difference is that if it's a question of interpretation, then the results stands. But if the rules were broken, black and white, the result should be subject to change.

All decisions made by a referee are interpretation - his/hers.

The problem is that decisions made by those referees are made in the heat of battle, and in real time. Sometimes a split second to decide. Hence, why they can be wrong.

In this case, there has been no reason for Alpen's non-appearance in heat 12. He could have been injured from the heat 9 fall. He may not. Rosco should clarify what happened here if points are lost.

I don't have a problem if the points are deducted, if Swindon have transgressed the rules, then the general position adopted is a deduction of points.

It really is about time the BSPA and SCB got their heads together and sorted the rulebook out so anyone can read and understand it especially referees some of whom appear to not have a good working knowledge of the changes etc.

As far as I am concerned all Matches should be checked/scrutinised by the SCB and if any rules are broken then amendments are made to the result (statement of fact or otherwise).

I was under the impression the line ups website was implemented for team managers, referees and licensed officials to sort out these problems prior to the match day but it's very apparent problems still arise through neglect/misuse etc and it's clear that some referees are just not up to the job despite years in the position.

The problems often stem from promoters who come up with a addendum to a rule covering generally some other team exploiting it to get a result and instead of rewriting the said rule we get several amendments and variations covering numerous instances most of which can be interpreted to the advantage of others with a vested interest or those in authority.

Being honest a competent qualified referee and two team managers should be able to identify any problems before some supporters have to remind them via the internet that a situation is clearly contrary to the rules.

Bearing in mind the amount of plain mistakes that regular occur the SCB is clearly not up to the job, perhaps it should concentrate on the important end of the job rather than comments on social media which it now jumps on from a great height.

Craig Cook apparently assaulting an official during the SGBC Fours at Peterborough being a good example of yet another incident being brushed under the carpet.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

Didnt a Redcar rider have an illegal R/R ride or something vs Somerset last season? Although it was pointed out on here and it meant Somerset lost a league point they would have otherwise won the BSPA deemed it a "statement of fact" by the referee because Somerset had not appealed before the next heat?

I've spent the last hour trying to remember where and when this took place as I thought it was a relevant precedent.

Thanks

Not really the same.

That was to do with the hierarchical order of the team, and was agreed (wrongly) before the meeting. Nothing was agreed before the meeting last night, as to what replacement was allowed for an excluded rider in Heat 12!

BWD was ineligible for that race. That's the "statement of fact" in this case.

All the best

Rob

Not really the same.

That was to do with the hierarchical order of the team, and was agreed (wrongly) before the meeting. Nothing was agreed before the meeting last night, as to what replacement was allowed for an excluded rider in Heat 12!

BWD was ineligible for that race. That's the "statement of fact" in this case.

All the best

Rob

But rules are rules?

It cannot be decided which rules to apply just because an error was made pre-meeting.

Was the ref part of the decision that decided the riding order?