Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Bryce

Tragedy Kenny Carter

Hi there, I was going to send this as a pm to TMC, but his message box is full. Therefore I'll post it as a thread topic, and others can comment if they so choose.

I just thought I'd let you know I bought a copy of the above book recently from the track shop at Rye House, and I wanted to thank you for a thoroughly engaging read. It certainly brought back a lot of memories.

I must compliment you on the even handedness of the book. It hilighted both Kenny's amazing determination and raw talent, whilst not glossing over the darker side of his personality and story.

I have to confess to a slight bias in that I was a Cradley regular in the early 80s and therefore one of those who couldn't have been counted as a Carter fan. Having said that, the insight into his background, upbringing and personality provided by this book does make me feel a little more sympathy and understanding for Kenny. That doesn't condone or excuse the things he did at the end of his life, and I acknowledge that the book didn't try to do that.

Thanks again for an excellent book, albeit a whole decade after you wrote it!

• Like 3

Hi there, I was going to send this as a pm to TMC, but his message box is full. Therefore I'll post it as a thread topic, and others can comment if they so choose.

I just thought I'd let you know I bought a copy of the above book recently from the track shop at Rye House, and I wanted to thank you for a thoroughly engaging read. It certainly brought back a lot of memories.

I must compliment you on the even handedness of the book. It hilighted both Kenny's amazing determination and raw talent, whilst not glossing over the darker side of his personality and story.

I have to confess to a slight bias in that I was a Cradley regular in the early 80s and therefore one of those who couldn't have been counted as a Carter fan. Having said that, the insight into his background, upbringing and personality provided by this book does make me feel a little more sympathy and understanding for Kenny. That doesn't condone or excuse the things he did at the end of his life, and I acknowledge that the book didn't try to do that.

Thanks again for an excellent book, albeit a whole decade after you wrote it!

I have a copy of the book and makes for a fascinating read although I was never a fan of his.

Visited his grave recently as I was passing by.

I remember him on the Mike at Cradley once saying he didn't understand why Cradley fans boo him. Trouble is he pronounced us as CrAdley. You can imagine how that went down. I'm presuming our fans boo d him for some incident with Penhall. The booing started before the 82 incident

I remember him on the Mike at Cradley once saying he didn't understand why Cradley fans boo him. Trouble is he pronounced us as CrAdley. You can imagine how that went down. I'm presuming our fans boo d him for some incident with Penhall. The booing started before the 82 incident

Everyone outside the Midlands pronounced it that way in those days, even Eric Boothroyd did and he had ridden for them.

Everyone outside the Midlands pronounced it that way in those days, even Eric Boothroyd did and he had ridden for them.

They(we) still do.

It's really no different that calling a mic' a Mike...

• Like 1

They(we) still do.

How long have you been following speedway? . . . and still haven't got it ! - ?

A slow learner, obviously !

I remember that. He told the crowd they didn't deserve to see him ride! I think he'd just beaten Bruce in the Golden Helmet match race which is what had upset them.

...and Ivan Mauger!

• Like 1

I bought this book upon release and found it most interesting and entertaining :t:

I subsequently lent it to a mate, who kept it and moved to Reading !

There is no doubt that he was fiercely patriotic and riding for England really mattered to him. I would think the English fans of English teams who'd turn up at big events with the flags of other nations (Coventry with Danish flags, Cradley with USA flags etc) were an annoyance to Kenny.

Edited by Bryce
  • Like 2

There is no doubt that he was fiercely patriotic and riding for England really mattered to him. I would think the English fans of English teams who'd turn up at big events with the flags of other nations (Coventry with Danish flags, Cradley with USA flags etc) were an annoyance to Kenny.

Never understood that.

Im British i support Britain. Im also an Ipswich fan. I cheered Carter over the likes of Sanders, Cook and Sigalos.

• Like 2

Agreed. I watched Penhall, Schwartz, King, Gundersen etc etc and admired their talent, but my Cradley hero was always Alan Grahame. His partnership with Phil Collins was unbelievable.

• Like 1