British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

Scunthorpe V Workington Championship 17th Sept 5.30 Pm .

dont think there is a post on this meeting . or ecen a txter ,.

if at all poss , can anyone post scores etc , no matter how as the unofficial comets site is under maintenance !

any info greatly appreciated . cheers .

no texter screm . a sign of the times .

Looks like there is a delayed start due to rain, so its tractor racing at the minute.

captins and ref on track

so going buy recent episodes like this id say thats it folks

under 2 mins now for heat 1 they say

gods sake apparantly 2mins been and gone no bikes made it on track and ref is now in the pits

and they are off. ..... the two mins ,,, i mean .

What happened to the track after heat 10????

Go sarj

it caught 'wecancallthecresultitis'

Sarj was on for a heat 15 appearance too 😜

• Like 1

What happened to the track after heat 10????

Nothing. The track was no worse in heat 10 than it had been in the previous heats and was probably getting better but Workington had had enough and that was that. Fair play to them though (and of course the Scunny riders) for at least putting on a show so no complaints from me as a paying customer.

Just when we thought that big black cloud had passed over quietly.. down it came, in bucket loads. Ten minutes of heavy rain.. A promoters worst nightmare.

Rob and his track staff worked wonders to clear some rather large puddles on bends 1 and 3 and get the track looking half decent... to us mere mortals it looked wet but kinda race ready.

Cue rider protests... No regard to the supporters that had waited patiently for one and half hours, no regard to the efforts of the track staff that had worked tirelessly to get the meeting on. One or two riders vociferously venting their dislike.

Cue Phil Griffin.. Wasn't having any of it... just get on with it. Well done big Phil, you tell'em. Rider power is killing speedway. The supporters appreciate it when someone stands up for the paying public... thankfully common sense prevailed.

So.. Okay, the first four heats were tricky.. we knew it would be...but the track improved immensely as the meeting progressed. Just as the track had dried out and had started producing some good racing...cue rider power again.. apparently the track was getting worse, we can't continue. What utter rubbish. I'll say it again.. Rider power is killing speedway.

As for the meeting.. Lewis Kerr made a mockery of the conditions to win heat one in style.. and in a reasonably fast time. Jake Allen looked assured. Toft, Douglas and Aarnio were all set for big pay days. Josh Auty revelled in it, attacked the track and looked good. Cookie, wasn't interested in heat one but looked a class apart in winning heat 5. Full marks to Mason Campton, was looking good and picking up big points. James Sarjeant, for all the bad press and hate he's been getting lately was riding well. Paul Bowen, no disrespect but just simply wasn't up to it.

So.. nice to end our home league programme with a win.. wasn't pretty, unfortunately curtailed a little too early in my opinion.

Edited by Albert
  • Like 4

Albert has said all I was going to say, il back it up with an utter farce to say the track was getting worse when in fact it was improving with every race. Any rider who was moaning at heat 10 just give them a ban. Tail wagging the dog. You could tell Rob wasn't impressed but stayed diplomatic. Il repeat what's been said loads of times this season that any newbies would never return and that could have lost a few regulars tonight. Well done to the Scunthorpe officials, they did a remarkable job getting it on. Pity the employees run the show these days

I'll echo what Albert said; Graham Trollope, Dave Peet, Rob Godfrey, wife Gail and their daughter (forget her name) worked like trojans, ending up covered in muck for their efforts. The track ended up still wet, heavy but also smooth think only one rider fell ,Proctor, but not a bad spill and no one 'picked-up' & headed toward the fence One can respect any rider for deciding that conditions are too bad to take risks, it's their neck afterall, and then riding but not going 'flat stick'. But it was galling to see 2 of the riders who appeared to be the most unhappy about conditions, Palm Toft & Cook, each then race to one untroubled & fully in-control win. The track wasn't getting anay worse, and as is often the way seemed a lot better after few races, the meet could have continued to heat 15 in my opinion....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2