British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

Scunthorpe V Workington Championship 17th Sept 5.30 Pm .

Really felt for Godfrey, track staff and anyone else who mucked in, they worked their conkers off to get the meeting on. Felt Rob's frustration on the mic, constantly apologising for the weather distruption, but there was nothing he could do about that.. And it just seemed he was masking the frustration he had towards certain riders.

I'm really not one for having a go at riders, because at the end of the day they understand track conditions more than us fans, I have little knowledge of bikes or track preparation etc, and I don't for one minute want to see any riders get injured because of conditions.. But what I can make judgement on is what I see, and to me the track looked ok, albeit dicey and wet in the early races. Towards the later stages, it actually produced 1 or 2 half decent races (Williamson and Douglas was it? had a good scrap around heat 5/6) and the track seemed to be only getting smoother as the racing continued.

Cookie stormed to a win in the race he actually fancied, but to me it was clear certain Workington riders just didn't fancy it.

Ideally as a fan, you want to see better racing than last night, but from what I could see, the track was only getting better and it seemed pretty clear, Workington wanted it off as soon as a result could be declared.

Auty rode it superbly, hats off to that man, as did every Scunthorpe rider. I saw Kerr having a dig on twitter but he rode it well too, especially heat 1 which looked very tricky.

So this offers the question? Are riders to soft and don't want to race as soon as conditions are less than ideal? I know a few got filled in but surely they've got to expect that racing a DIRT track.. Or, are today bikes just not cut out for tracks like last night anymore? Or, was it simply a case of certain riders just not fancying it?

that attitude smacks of disrespect for fans and the track staff who worked hard to try and get the meeting on to me

I seen a snapchat from 10mins from tapes and it was absolutely bouncing, you needed bloody armbands on the first bend :rolleyes: , you were lucky it got to 10 , it shouldn't have been ran at all ,if that's what you call enjoyment for your money you're easily pleased. No wonder Cookie and Palm Toft weren't happy , would you really risk injuries for a meeting where both teams were to gain nothing , would you get on a bike with no brakes in them conditions :nono: ...mmm I think not

I seen a snapchat from 10mins from tapes and it was absolutely bouncing, you needed bloody armbands on the first bend :rolleyes: , you were lucky it got to 10 , it shouldn't have been ran at all ,if that's what you call enjoyment for your money you're easily pleased. No wonder Cookie and Palm Toft weren't happy , would you really risk injuries for a meeting where both teams were to gain nothing , would you get on a bike with no brakes in them conditions :nono: ...mmm I think not

The track was still hard underneath, once the surface water was cleared.

And the times were, in general, quicker than heats 12 to 15 of Scunny v Edinburgh the week before.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

did the snap chat show some really good passes and racing from some of the riders on a perfectly rideable and raceable track?

• Like 4

I was there ,that track was race able especially after a couple of heats, the attitude of some of the riders was "I've seen GP riders and other top riders get meetings off now it's our chance to have a strop" .The only way I could justify some of the riders actions was the fact that maybe there just not good enough to handle the conditions. Could I or would I want to ride on it, of course not I'm not a speedway rider but these guys decided they want to ride powerful bikes on dirt tracks. If you don't want to do it don't do it. That track wasn't dangerous. Rant over

Il just rant a bit more, if last night had been a NL meeting the riders would have got on with it no problem

Rob Godfrey said he's going to give it one more go which I presume he meant next season, good luck to him because I felt like packing it in especially away meetings but I suppose it's my own fault travelling with a chance of rain

• Like 5

With the sudden & unexpected rainfall pre meeting, then track work to make it look like racing could be done made me think back to early season when a meeting was called off even though the track, again, looked good after remedial work, but was soft & slushy underneath. But, credit to Phil Griffin, the referee who said it was good to go.

soft on top and like concrete underneath you mean yes?

The base is very hard at Scunny hence the water runs off to the corners

When did Josh become captain again?,,,people around me kept asking when they looked at the program,

i believe last night may of made Robs mind up of who he wants to ride for him next season.

with the 2 bends being prone to flooding and the drains not working properly could work be done on them?

I don't know what went on with my reply to "Panthers89" post but some how it looks as if the bottom line his part of his post. This is my comment and not part of Panthers89. Sorry for this.

I do agree, but riders will prioritise meetings end of the day.

If you read between the lines of Rob Godfreys post on the Scunthorpe site it's pretty obvious what went on and the meeting should have carried on. Then again by then most had lost the will to live including Rob by the sound of it though I don't blame him. Lost the will to live mmmm how many times as that been quoted this year

Granted, the puddles were big... lets call them lakes. But they managed to get all that water off the track prior to racing (which was a good hour and a half after the scheduled time). Yes it was wet for the first so many heats...but it got better and better. Workington... as the losing team, they made the decision to end the meeting. It was apparently their prerogative to do so! ??? Nothing the ref could do at this point. It could of easily run to 15 heats.

I work on the highways.. its pretty dangerous out there too, especially in the rain. I'd love to go to work and say its wet, sorry boss, I ain't bothering today.... errm, I wouldn't be in a job long. Why do speedway riders think they're so special?

Motor GP lads, okay they got brakes... but they travel at much faster speed, they don't moan, not really. Neither do F1, Motorcross or other forms of motor sport. Just speedway riders. Perhaps they earn more than they let on, seems certain riders are happy to turn down the opportunity to earn money.

Edited by Albert
  • Like 1

When did Josh become captain again?,,,people around me kept asking when they looked at the program,

i believe last night may of made Robs mind up of who he wants to ride for him next season.

with the 2 bends being prone to flooding and the drains not working properly could work be done on them?

It happened a day after the Scunthorpe v Edinburgh meeting.

Thank goodness it did. With Palm Toft as captain yesterday rather than Josh, do you think we'd have seen any racing?

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Granted, the puddles were big... lets call them lakes. But they managed to get all that water off the track prior to racing (which was a good hour and a half after the scheduled time). Yes it was wet for the first so many heats...but it got better and better. Workington... as the losing team, they made the decision to end the meeting. It was apparently their prerogative to do so! ??? Nothing the ref could do at this point. It could of easily run to 15 heats.

I work on the highways.. its pretty dangerous out there too, especially in the rain. I'd love to go to work and say its wet, sorry boss, I ain't bothering today.... errm, I wouldn't be in a job long. Why do speedway riders think they're so special?

Motor GP lads, okay they got brakes... but they travel at much faster speed, they don't moan, not really. Neither do F1, Motorcross or other forms of motor sport. Just speedway riders. Perhaps they earn more than they let on, seems certain riders are happy to turn down the opportunity to earn money.

Sounds like a golden opportunity for a rider to lower his average without seeming to.

But wait, who's this at the top of the score chart for Workington? Can the conspiracy theorists please explain?

It happened a day after the Scunthorpe v Edinburgh meeting.

Thank goodness it did. With Palm Toft as captain yesterday rather than Josh, do you think we'd have seen any racing?

All the best

Rob

No, I heard 12 of the 13 riders didn't want to ride, at least josh got a pair.

Edited by eric i

Mostly surface water that was cleared before racing began. Some riders rode like there had been no rain at all making a mockery of those who didn't fancy it.

As for riders riding in a meeting that there was nothing to gain try telling that to the punters who handed over their hard earned cash. Some speedway riders need reminding that they are in the business of entertainment and no fans means no wages.

• Like 1