British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

Scunthorpe V Workington Championship 17th Sept 5.30 Pm .

First two heats were a bit tentative but not dangerous, Cook going through the tapes was deliberate. After heat 3 the track was graded and Josh Auty came out full blast. Next heat Cook flew for 2 and half laps then seemed to realise he was making the track look good so slowed for a lap and half. The ones gone up in my estimation the other one down. God help Cook in the gps if he leaves a gap with one of the young Poles behind him. Plenty changes of underpants. The racing for the next 5 heats wasn't too bad getting better with each race. To then call it off was a shambles as the track was the best it had been all night. Quite simply the riders didn't want to ride

Sarj maybe needed a good payday to offset the fine from Saturday

Sounds like a golden opportunity for a rider to lower his average without seeming to.

But wait, who's this at the top of the score chart for Workington? Can the conspiracy theorists please explain?

I guess one can put any spin on the facts one wishes. Just depends on your point of view.

On that performance i couldn't agree more. I think riders at times forget that they are in the entertainment business and i know which one entertained the fans the most last night.

i think sarj will always entertain better than craig , he is like the clown in the circus , he can always be relied on to show how big a clown he really is .

racing wise , give me cookie , even on a bad day .

how do workington fans get their £5 back as we are not sure of coming to the tapes in 2018.

Depends if the fans want to see processions or racing but from a riders point of view if you can't race and pass it's unfair on those who don't gate.

I'd always like to think riders know their own limits so given the deluge perhaps there was an element of being psyched out and also to a certain degree whether it was actually worth taking a chance out there at all given the pretty sparse attendance. But still considering the sheer amount of time and unbelievable effort that went into attempting to rescue something from the wash then the riders surely owed it to the promotion and the handful of patient supporters to at least give it a go. In fairness and thanks to the firm insistence of referee Griffin they eventually did albeit in some instances clearly reluctantly and others perhaps quite rightly with some trepidation. But with track work done, Rob was sure it was a decent enough surface and so it proved with eventually both Allen and Sargent taking chances and passing in style. All the more surprising to see events curtailed after 10 heats and with track conditions seemingly much improved. Regrettably, there were no real winners on Sunday night and least of all Speedway. It's probably fortunate therefore that this one was left to the tolerant few hardcore fans to witness. Although even one or two of those were tested to the limit and had eventually made for the exit well before time was called. One things for certain it would have been almost impossible to convince any potential newcomers that our sport is nothing other than an unfathomable damp squib!

• Like 4

[ Clown in the circus ] talking about yourself

lol , i did say HE and Not ME .

soft on top and like concrete underneath you mean yes?

The base is very hard at Scunny hence the water runs off to the corners

taken from the Scunthorpe v Peterborough KOC meeting in June

A few of us spoke to Peter Clarke, the referee, after & he said while the track looked good, in fact it was still greasy on the inside & grippy on the outside. There was, also, the risk of the track breaking up. The safety concern was that if a rider had spun & a following had been filled in & could not see properly, there could have been an accident, potentially a bad one.

Surely there was a higher risk of that in the first 10 heats.

It was abandoned after heat5 when the heavens opened up after an heroic attempt to get the track back to racing order even then the inside of the third bend had about 10 to 15 metres of sludge on it ,

There were probably a couple of reasons for a sparse attendance........................10 losses is one, even if entertainment is normally in abundance at the EWR, winning keeps the smiles on faces & probably two, 2 meetings in a week as more, might, attend Friday. The few(approximate of 250-280 by a friends head count) were the hard core with the few leaving early being with young children or more mature. After all, the time taken to run the meeting was like a double header.

taken from the Scunthorpe v Peterborough KOC meeting in June

A few of us spoke to Peter Clarke, the referee, after & he said while the track looked good, in fact it was still greasy on the inside & grippy on the outside. There was, also, the risk of the track breaking up. The safety concern was that if a rider had spun & a following had been filled in & could not see properly, there could have been an accident, potentially a bad one.

What has that fixture got to do with Sunday night---only thing about that fixture was it should have run after the track work

• Like 1

What has that fixture got to do with Sunday night---only thing about that fixture was it should have run after the track work

The track was unsafe , fit to ride but not fit to race Common sense decision was made . I don't want to see riders putting there selves on the line to get injuries in those circumstances.

• Like 1