Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

Ipswich V Edinburgh P/o Semi Final 21st September

Hardly turned left. Twobriders competing for the best line into first corner. Agreed greaves was in pole position but too tight to make an exclusion. should have been all 4 back

Think we'll to agree to disagree on this one, if Nathan has made the best start is clearly ahead from gate 1, has gone in a straight line towards the first bend and had remained no more than a foot or two from the kerb, then the only way the incident can occur is the way it did...Riss tried to lean on him they got tangled up, Riss at fault and correctly excluded. What can Nathan have possibly done to avoid that crash....nothing! What could Riss have done? Ridden marginally wider and battled for the place in the first corner and the rest of the race!

I'm not suggesting in any way Erik intended for the crash to happen and I sincerely hope both riders aren't hurt and the machinery bill isn't too high as Nathan in particular has suffered a lot of that this year! But Erik caused the stoppage and was right to go IMO

• Like 2

Appears the telling factor tonight was that the 13 points return for the missing Heeps & Sedgmen was probably more than they collectively would have scored, whereas a meagre 2 point return for the absent Mark Riss was well below his recent scores at Ipswich.

Cannot see Witches surrendering a 10 point cushion tomorrow, especially if MR is missing or is not fully fit.

I wouldn't expect greaves to give up his line and neither would I expect Erik to give up his. No quarter asked no quarter given. What you described is first bend bunching, all 4 back every day of the week.

Can't be first bend bunching if they haven't reached the first bend!! Someone has deviated into someone else's path to crash before they get there 👍🏻

Personally I don't think 10 is enough if mark is fit and still maybe not quite enough if he isn't.

All the monarchs need to do tomorrow is make the track a little wet, and certain riders will give up pretty quickly. Anyway, thanks to mason for a good guest booking.

• Like 1

Can't be first bend bunching if they haven't reached the first bend!! Someone has deviated into someone else's path to crash before they get there 👍🏻

They crashed at the entrance to the first bend. Just because it was the entrance and not half way round shouldn't change the decision.

As I said before get the result in track not in the referee box

They crashed at the entrance to the first bend. Just because it was the entrance and not half way round shouldn't change the decision.

As a neutral at the meeting I was very impressed by Mason Campton and disappointed in Wells efforts. Could be close overall.

• Like 1

The most important fact though being that they crashed not because of bunching (both were clear of the other 2 and space was plentiful) but instead because Riss hit Greaves from behind trying to get to a bit of track that wasnt there for him to use.

I can understand your point as I too expected all 4 back - not because I considered that the correct decision but because that is the usual and expected choice for a ref.

• Like 2

Anyone know the reasoning behind the change in the R/R replacements last night? Very unusual not to give the reserve heat 1 so he can check the track out before his own race. Then to put Danny and Rory together seemed a bit strange. I can understand if R/R was for No4 and they wanted to get the better riders out of the way in case of rain and an early postponement.

I assumed it was indeed because of the weather threat and therefore they wanted the stronger riders used before heat 10.

The most important fact though being that they crashed not because of bunching (both were clear of the other 2 and space was plentiful) but instead because Riss hit Greaves from behind trying to get to a bit of track that wasnt there for him to use.

I can understand your point as I too expected all 4 back - not because I considered that the correct decision but because that is the usual and expected choice for a ref.

Except in the last GP when Zmarzlik did exactly the same thing. Ref made a brave & correct decision. Just because you missed the start you can't go turning into someone in the hope of a rerun with all four back.

I assumed it was indeed because of the weather threat and therefore they wanted the stronger riders used before heat 10.

I think they wanted to hit Edinburgh hard from the start knowing they couldn't use the TR so didn't matter if they went more points up. Backfired a bit with a good ride from Erik Riss to get a 3-3.

• Like 1

Backfired completely. Still, it wouldn't be the witches if they didn't make things hard for themselves. Good job the other Riss brother wasn't there, otherwise the tie would already be over.

Good decision by Babs for once to excluded Riss in heat 14. Too many times a rider is allowed back in under the guise of an unsatisfactory start. If a rider is excluded on laps 2 3 or 4 then should be the same on bend 1 lap 1. More and more Polish meetings are excluding riders "doing a Riss" and is a good thing.

• Like 1

Really should have bin alot more of a lead but the rain def. went in Boro's favour, we threw away loads of points and looked like Smiling Sam played a mind game on Schleiny when the rain hit (pretended he was all for pulling out at the line and then went off like a train for four laps !) and all in all it cost Ippo dearly, but we'll see if its enough !