British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

New Zealand 2017-18

In New Zealand, all forms of small track racing are under one administration. Could that be a guide for British speedway to follow?

Here's Speedway NZ's guide to their 2017-18 season - scroll down for solo speedway and sidecars.

http://www.speedway.co.nz

Edited by Guest

Ronnie Moore Park have the NZ Championships in early January and based on todays support classes at the Sidecar meeting the home circuit only have two riders that are at the standard you'd want to see in the field. The evergreen Andrew Aldridge and the youngster George Congrieve. I think it is George's first season on a 500cc and it looks like he might have some talent.

Bradley Wilson Dean is a confirmed starter and I'm just hoping there will be someone there to give him some competition.

There were 21 NZ sidecar outfits on display (+8 aussie). Contrast that with seven riders on 500's, four of which could barely turn the bike and were being beaten by a 14 year old on a 250 who was starting from 30 metres. At least he has some potential.

Another Christchurch legend seems a long way off. Larry Ross was the last BL Heat Leader from Christchurch. Most kiwis now wouldn't be able to tell you who Mauger, Briggs and Moore are.

• Like 1

Would disagree with that last statement, Id say most kiwis over the age of 40 anyway know Mauger and Briggs (perhaps not Moore).

Old gutsers gives me stock forcsaying most kiwis wouldnt have heard of Barry butter worth, but I stand by that statement.

Ronnie Moore Park have the NZ Championships in early January and based on todays support classes at the Sidecar meeting the home circuit only have two riders that are at the standard you'd want to see in the field. The evergreen Andrew Aldridge and the youngster George Congrieve. I think it is George's first season on a 500cc and it looks like he might have some talent.

Bradley Wilson Dean is a confirmed starter and I'm just hoping there will be someone there to give him some competition.

There were 21 NZ sidecar outfits on display (+8 aussie). Contrast that with seven riders on 500's, four of which could barely turn the bike and were being beaten by a 14 year old on a 250 who was starting from 30 metres. At least he has some potential.

Another Christchurch legend seems a long way off. Larry Ross was the last BL Heat Leader from Christchurch. Most kiwis now wouldn't be able to tell you who Mauger, Briggs and Moore are.

What about Mitch Shirra?

Still a long time ago but would he classify as a heat leader?

What about Mitch Shirra?

Still a long time ago but would he classify as a heat leader?

Mitch isn't from Christchurch,which is the point.Not sure,but think he started in Australia anyway,rather than New Zealand

Very disappointing that the NZ SOLO CHAMPIONSHIP has only eleven entries this year. Only three riders from the North Island prepare to make the trip to the South Island for the meeting at Moore Park next Saturday.
Competitors: 1nz Bradley Wilson-Dean, 7i Sam Taylor, 10c Sean Cox, 11i Jake Gillespie, 17c Georgia Elvin, 18b Jason McKay, 23c Andrew Aldridge, 46i Jimmy Hannan, 72c Wayne Drake, 99c George Congreve, Ryan Terry-Daly

https://www.facebook.com/Mooreparkmotorcylespeedway/photos/a.326160430857854.1073741860.319524861521411/1059374684203088/?type=3&theater

2018 New Zealand Speedway Championships today, Jan. 6th :
SOLOS
1 - Bradley Wilson-Dean ,
2 - Andrew Aldridge
3 - Ryan Terry-Daley
at Moore Park, Christchurch.
SIDECARS
1NZ – Russell Stuart / Andrew Parker
2NZ – Wayne Lett / Chris “Chatty” Chatfield
3NZ – John “Handbag” Hannon / Bryce Rose
at Meeanee Speedway, Napier.

www.speedwaychampions.com