British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Once A Jolly Swagman

Finally got to see this film after all these years. Some great vintage speedway footage from New Cross. Well worth a look.

• Like 1

Did they also build a single bend set to film some of the scenes for this?

Can't answer that one False Dawn. Norbold would know I'm sure.

An interesting Link in regard to the film. Many crowd scenes were filmed after a meeting - I never managed "to appear" in any of them - I used to stand at the opposite bend while crowd scenes were shot on the pits bend.

Edited by Guest

It seems all interior scenes were shot at Pinewood but all the race footage is genuine on-track. Ron Johnson doubling for Dirk Bogarde.

They sure did

I'll take your word for it mickthemuppet but I have no recollection of a single bend film set being set-up at New Cross for the filming! :unsure:

::: Here's another Link in regard to the film at:

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/556/jolly-swagman

And in the REAL speedway world it would appear that speedway riders were NOT impressed with the film! :nono:

http://cliffjones.zenfolio.com/p14758887/hb682b43#hb682b43

Edited by Guest

I'll take your word for it mickthemuppet but I have no recollection of a single bend film set being set-up at New Cross for the filming! :unsure:

::: Here's another Link in regard to the film at:

http://lonidonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/556/jolly-swagman

And in the REAL speedway world it would appear that speedway riders were NOT impressed with the film! :nono:

http://cliffjones.zenfolio.com/p14758887/hb682b43#hb682b43

They built it in the studio from the start line to the first bend .It was not well received by the Speedway fraternity and the leading player Dirk Bogarde who played Farr did not like motorbikes

I used to think this was the only film with a Speedway theme until I discovered a film call "There is another sun" in 1952 and sometimes called" Wall Of Death" It starred Lawrence Harvey as a fairground boxer and Maxwell Reed as Rocky , a wall of death rider who needed to get a Speedway bike to win the Speedway invitation race at their local track, and win £100. Looking at the film I am certain that this was filmed at West Ham. Maxwell Reed was the first husband of Joan Collins and the film was directed by Lewis Gilbert who went on to direct "The spy who loved me"

Oddly enough both film endings finished up the same.

• Like 1

Things aren't always what they seem.....

Pinewood Studios: A speedway track complete with pits was built on backlot as a replica of New Cross Stadium.
Not the reference I was looking for. I'm sure someone, during a previous thread on here, posted a picture of that set which was just one corner of a circuit.

Once a Jolly Swagman is on Talking Pictures (Sky 328) tomorrow (30 June) at 6:00 p.m.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:21 PM, mickthemuppet said:

They built it in the studio from the start line to the first bend .It was not well received by the Speedway fraternity and the leading player Dirk Bogarde who played Farr did not like motorbikes

I used to think this was the only film with a Speedway theme until I discovered a film call "There is another sun" in 1952 and sometimes called" Wall Of Death" It starred Lawrence Harvey as a fairground boxer and Maxwell Reed as Rocky , a wall of death rider who needed to get a Speedway bike to win the Speedway invitation race at their local track, and win £100. Looking at the film I am certain that this was filmed at West Ham. Maxwell Reed was the first husband of Joan Collins and the film was directed by Lewis Gilbert who went on to direct "The spy who loved me"

Oddly enough both film endings finished up the same.

Wall of Death is here. The speedway looks like New Cross to me, based on how it looks and comparing it to "Once A Jolly Swagman".