British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Once A Jolly Swagman

37 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Wall of Death is here. The speedway looks like New Cross to me, based on how it looks and comparing it to "Once A Jolly Swagman".

The  speedway track was Walthamstow

10 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

The  speedway track was Walthamstow

Are you sure?. I'm pretty certain it's New Cross.

Finally got to see it on youtube, as close as I will ever get to New Cross!! Enjoyed it but not enough speedway-thought Bill Fox was crazy to give up his career for a bird-nice to see Thora Hird as Dirk Bogarde's mum, also Bonar Colleano and Bill Owen-worth watching and the speedway stuff brought back great memories-amazing to see full stadiums

• Like 1

Memory lane there, though a decade or two and more before my time.  'Swagman' was easily the best speedway movie of that era and was filmed at New Cross, you can make out the New Cross Rangers race bibs adapted to be 'Cobras' bibs as depicted in the film.  It's been shown on Talking Pictures channel Freeview 81 (+ 328, 445 & 306) a few times, the DVD isn't too dear either.  'Britainnia Of Billingsgate' was another speedway move of the time, not sure if it was the film where just a straight and one bend of a track was constructed, think Lea Bridge may have been used also.  Again, way (way) before my birth...

Edited by martinmauger
usual spelling blobs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Finally got to see it on youtube, as close as I will ever get to New Cross!! Enjoyed it but not enough speedway-thought Bill Fox was crazy to give up his career for a bird-nice to see Thora Hird as Dirk Bogarde's mum, also Bonar Colleano and Bill Owen-worth watching and the speedway stuff brought back great memories-amazing to see full stadiums

I thought you had been to New Cross Bob.....it was a great little track, not up to FIM Standard speedway tracks these days but the racing was always close because of the size and to watch Peter Craven race round there was definitely memorable......Jack Young was also pretty damn good round there also.

Shame they can't come up with a speedway movie depicting these days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Memory lane there, though a decade or two and more before my time.  'Swagman' was easily the best speedway movie of that era and was filmed at New Cross, you can make out the New Cross Rangers race bibs adapted to be 'Cobras' bibs as depicted in the film.  It's been shown on Talking Pictures channel Freeview 81 (+ 328, 445 & 306) a few times, the DVD isn't too dear either.  'Britainnia Of Billingsgate' was another speedway move of the time, not sure if it was the film where just a straight and one bend of a track was constructed, think Lea Bridge may have been used also.  Again, way (way) before my birth...

You are indeed correct it was Lea Bridge It had Colin Watson and Ron Johnson in it