British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

British Speedway 2018

With the uncertainty of various clubs for 2018 I wonder what the BSPA have planned for next year. Will promotion/relegation continue? Has it or will it been a success?

I’d like to see the tactical substitute rule changed to when a team are 6 or more down a inform rider can replace a reserve or out of form rider who is the main body of the team.

Will the six man teams be put back on the table with the apparent lack of riders?

Regional speedway leagues don’t practically wet my whistle, although with only a handful of teams in the upper league perhaps if it gives more variety of teams and riders I may change my mind.

With the uncertainty with Lakeside, Plymouth and Cradley’s participation in next season’s 3rd division I wonder if we’ll see anyone replacing them should they not run, Rye House maybe?

Who are these 'handful of teams' in the upper league??? A 10-12 team 'upper league' is being talked about.

Birmingham must be a doubt as well. The rye house raiders ran at a loss, so I'd be surprised if they returned. I think the rye promotions policy is quality, not quantity of meetings.

• Like 1

I think the biggest doubt is over the second tier, with two clubs reputed to be moving up and possibly two others dropping down or out, we could easily end up with a six team second tier and that surely wouldn't be viable. From what we read though a single league seems unlikely. Uncertainty is never good for the sport (particularly during a long winter) so the sooner we actually know the situation, the better.

• Like 1

Birmingham must be a doubt as well. The rye house raiders ran at a loss, so I'd be surprised if they returned. I think the rye promotions policy is quality, not quantity of meetings.

That fits with what I have heard. Top division of as many as 12 teams but only one league match home and away against each team plus KO cup and play offs.

I think the biggest doubt is over the second tier, with two clubs reputed to be moving up and possibly two others dropping down or out, we could easily end up with a six team second tier and that surely wouldn't be viable. From what we read though a single league seems unlikely. Uncertainty is never good for the sport (particularly during a long winter) so the sooner we actually know the situation, the better.

The BSPA is only concerned with Top League,to them the rest can sort themselves out,happens every time they are in Sh#t and it's annoying that the test fall for it every time.Nothing changes self interest rules!!!!!!
  • Like 1

The BSPA is only concerned with Top League,to them the rest can sort themselves out,happens every time they are in Sh#t and it's annoying that the test fall for it every time.Nothing changes self interest rules!!!!!!

As the BSPA is a collective body of all Promoters from all tiers I don't understand how this can be the case.

With matters being voted on, the second tier can outvote the top tier as it has more members.

• Like 2

As the BSPA is a collective body of all Promoters from all tiers I don't understand how this can be the case.

With matters being voted on, the second tier can outvote the top tier as it has more members.

That is only the current situation though, changes are likely.

That is only the current situation though, changes are likely.

Of course, a change in structure could change that. In my previous post I was responding to the inference that the top league is only concerned with itself and the rest can sort themselves out. 'The rest' has, for a long time now, been a larger group than the top league and so has been able to vote on decisions to suit themselves best at each AGM.

• Like 2

That fits with what I have heard. Top division of as many as 12 teams but only one league match home and away against each team plus KO cup and play offs.

Bet they still have to try and cram 4 home meetings into 2 weeks in September while during the long hot summer they can't fit one in

• Like 2

Bet they still have to try and cram 4 home meetings into 2 weeks in September while during the long hot summer they can't fit one in

You could be right. :lol:

The number of matches could fit into a programmee of fortnightly home matches. Not sure that's what I want. I preferred the days of a home match every week or 3 and out of every 4 if there are stock cars. However, it does fit nicely if you also have a NL team because then you can have a meeting at home almost every week. As you point out though it is vital that someone with a modicum of sense sorts out the fixture lists.

Belle vue are the last club to run two teams. I'd be surprised if that number increases. In most cases, more meetings means more losses.

You are leaving out the underhand dealing and promises that are made before the Conference .!

You are sooo right Fromafar.

I have been shouting about this for years. What the Top League wants the Top League gets, and if that screws the Championship then - TOUGH!!!

I wouldn't care - the Top League now is virtually a Championship League in itself. It is largely staffed by Championship Riders.

• Like 3

If you look through the history of the sport. The lower leagues have always been sacrificed to save the top flight.

• Like 1