British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

British Speedway 2018

An exception was the 'Stewkesbury Plan' who was promoter of Poole at the time who operated in the lower league and I'm guessing he was chairman of he BSPA.

I remember John Berry being somewhat critical of the plan at the time.

Edited by steve roberts

surely 2nd div clubs invited up would find it too much of a financial risk. RH have rich owners, as do Glasgow, but most don't. One big league with team strengths v strictly controlled jumps up and down as the most obvious way forward. I do not buy the lack of riders argument.

• Like 2

Sadly the teams in the championship are being manipulated again by the 'top' division. Teams left with the choice of moving up, if asked, or staying and having only a few teams to race against. The next thing will be no loan fees to be paid to championship teams whose asset rides for a Premier team

Sadly the teams in the championship are being manipulated again by the 'top' division. Teams left with the choice of moving up, if asked, or staying and having only a few teams to race against. The next thing will be no loan fees to be paid to championship teams whose asset rides for a Premier team

I never thought of that.

Could they actually do that?

I wouldn't have thought so - contracted div 2 riders would need permission to ride for a div 1 team wouldn't they?

of course riders are freelance in effect and it might be seen as restraint of trade

so many things in speedway would not be deemed legal in a court of law. Assets? I think not

Edited by ch958
  • Like 1

I wouldn't have thought so - contracted div 2 riders would need permission to ride for a div 1 team wouldn't they?

of course riders are freelance in effect and it might be seen as restraint of trade

so many things in speedway would not be deemed legal in a court of law. Assets? I think not

I do hope you are right.

I never thought of that.

Could they actually do that?

Why not?

The top league and Championship have done that to the National League.

Those two leagues, not content with messing up their own competitions, are doing all they can to drag the NL into the mire through this and other rules.

As I have said before, time for the NL to declare independence.

Why not?

The top league and Championship have done that to the National League.

Those two leagues, not content with messing up their own competitions, are doing all they can to drag the NL into the mire through this and other rules.

As I have said before, time for the NL to declare independence.

....................... and the Championship. It is the top level of British Speedway that messes things up - not the aforementioned Championship.

Time for one big league, one set of rules - plus a National League for up-and-comers

• Like 5

Time for one big league, one set of rules - plus a National League for up-and-comers

Many fans want this but the BSPA have decreed otherwise. Only time will tell which side is correct.

Glasgow, Sheffield, Ipswich and Peterborough should move up to create the "British League"

Have a league cup of 4 groups of 3 maybe regionalised so you have Ipswich, Peterborough and Kings Lynn is one group

Ride home and away once, so 4 meetings, top of each group qualify for the knockout stage and so on

I'd run this as 13 heat format points 4,3,2,1

Then run a ko cup competition, 16 heat format 3,2,1,0 points

Then have the league with home and away once under the current format

22-30+ meetings

The rest of the championship teams make up an expanded national league and develop more opportunity to get british youngsters into the sport

• Like 1

After a very late night and a longer than usual lie-in I think I may have woken up in 'cloud-cuckoo' land!!!

For far too many years the BSPA Championship clubs (with the help of a Championship promoter as Chairman) have outnumbered and often out voted their Premiership colleagues on a number of important issues!!! One example, when the 'draft reserve' system was introduced to 'weaken' the top league, the then Elite clubs proposed a reduction in admission prices to reflect the 'weaker' product. This was out voted by the then PL clubs who were in some cases only charging £1 less than the Elite clubs but who said they couldn't afford to drop their prices.

The '2-Brit' reserves should have been first adopted by the Championship clubs - but yet again NO - it was up to the Premiership teams to 'bite that particular bullet'!

Finally, despite all the doom and gloom merchants - how many Premiership/Elite clubs have disappeared by going bust in recent years, as against the number of Championship/PL clubs threatening to do so?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

Glasgow, Sheffield, Ipswich and Peterborough should move up to create the "British League"

Have a league cup of 4 groups of 3 maybe regionalised so you have Ipswich, Peterborough and Kings Lynn is one group

Ride home and away once, so 4 meetings, top of each group qualify for the knockout stage and so on

22-30+ meetings

The rest of the championship teams make up an expanded national league and develop more opportunity to get british youngsters into the sport

Plenty of local derbies for Glasgow there.

• Like 2

22-30+ meetings

No they shouldn't. Why the hell should our League be wrecked just to satisfy the Premiership?

I tell you what though - the EIGHT Premier League Clubs could ask if they can drop down in to our League. They could accept Championship League Terms and Conditions and if they don't like them they can sod off.

As I said earlier the Premier League is already Staffed by a load of Championship Riders, so why not - it makes sense.

Edited by The White Knight

Glasgow have the finances to make it work and a growing fan base because they are promoted properly.

White knight, you are quite correct in what you say, when I say the four teams are going up maybe I meant they are joining forces with the other 8

Looks like doyle, holder etc won't be back so the leagues are even closer than ever before so either way you look at it, call it what you like both leagues are practically the same, all you'd lose are those few guys under say 4/5 who then become heat leaders in the national league