British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

British Speedway 2018

More foot shooting for speedway at Glasgow I see. Both feet this time and in true Monty Python style, Speedway UK - It's a very long running joke now. Thankfully not many people in the real world know it exists.

• Like 1

DON'T think Lakeside fancy Fridays given the problems with the Dartford tunnel/bridge

I was under the impression that they preferred weekend racing to allow fans to get there comfortably. But those that have been this season tell me the place is almost deserted, so they might as well try another midweek night.

I was under the impression that they preferred weekend racing to allow fans to get there comfortably. But those that have been this season tell me the place is almost deserted, so they might as well try another midweek night.

Isn't there a mini-problem in regard to weekend dates? The stadium owners stage fairly regular stock car meetings on a Sunday afternoon, while another long-established car race group The Rolling Thunder Show holds quite a few Saturday meetings during the summer months.

Edited by Guest

That fits with what I have heard. Top division of as many as 12 teams but only one league match home and away against each team plus KO cup and play offs.

12 home meetings plus possibly up to two play-offs a year and a wrecked second tier? That really the death of speedway.

Final abject surrender to BSI and the PZM.

• Like 2

My View on how 2018 should go:

PREMIER LEAGUE Wednesdays & Fridays.

CONFERENCE LEAGUE Saturdays & Sundays.

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays.

Loads of reasons why this is the way to go, anyone else agree?

My View on how 2018 should go:

PREMIER LEAGUE Wednesdays & Fridays.

CONFERENCE LEAGUE Saturdays & Sundays.

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays.

Loads of reasons why this is the way to go, anyone else agree?

Monday to Sunday : British League

Monday to Sunday : National Development League

• Like 1

Monday to Sunday : British League

Monday to Sunday : National Development League

I'm not really worried about the Nights for each Division.

I am only hoping that no Tracks are forced in to closure because of it.

• Like 2

More foot shooting for speedway at Glasgow I see. Both feet this time and in true Monty Python style, Speedway UK - It's a very long running joke now. Thankfully not many people in the real world know it exists.

This must be a record year for meetings being abandoned before 15 heats have been completed,its become routine nowadays and they wonder where the fans are going.!
  • Like 3

12 home meetings plus possibly up to two play-offs a year and a wrecked second tier? That really the death of speedway.

Final abject surrender to BSI and the PZM.

I would much prefer a home meeting almost every week. However, this year, with only 8 teams in the top league, we have only had 14 home league matches plus KO Cup and play offs, so not a lot of difference in total and seeing each visiting team only once might make casual fans more inclined to attend.

Birmingham must be a doubt as well. The rye house raiders ran at a loss, so I'd be surprised if they returned. I think the rye promotions policy is quality, not quantity of meetings.

Have a feeling Cradley could be the big doubt rather than Birmingham if I'm honest

Edited by mb1990
  • Like 2

Birmingham must be a doubt as well. The rye house raiders ran at a loss, so I'd be surprised if they returned. I think the rye promotions policy is quality, not quantity of meetings.

Shouldn´t that be the policy for the whole sport of speedway in britain these days ? I think less can be often more...

As i mentioned before...one professional league with truly comitted foreigners in it and eleven to thirteen home matches

(so a 12 to 14 teams league) in the basic round (+play off´s if needed) could suit any club...

...maybe some riders would come back if the calendar isn´t that packed !!!

...more space for reserve dates, if the weather isn´t that fine !!!

I've only missed one meeting at lakeside this season. Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays make no difference. The traffic has been awful and the crowds have been poor. The location of the track is an absolute nightmare.
  • Like 1

I've only missed one meeting at lakeside this season. Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays make no difference. The traffic has been awful and the crowds have been poor. The location of the track is an absolute nightmare.

​I would imagine that Lakeside have problems clearing dates to race on Saturdays and Sundays in view of long-established stock car users on these days i.e the actual stadium owners Arena Essex who stage regular Sunday meetings and the fairly regular Saturday tenants The Rolling Thunder Show?

Edited by Guest

After reading quite a few topics over the last few weeks, it seems obvious that the promoters have been having pre-AGM meetings & decided on fixed race nights of Mondays & Thursdays. If this is to attract the better riders to our shores, then surely, with Sweden being nearer(for travel) to Poland, the ISL calendar should be Poland Sunday, Sweden Monday, GB Premiership Tuesday, Denmark Wednesday, GB Premiership Thursday with our Championship being Friday, Saturday & Sunday. This would enable our Championship standard of riders to try out the Swedish & Denmark leagues. We would still have the problem, though with Polish lower leagues & our own but we have got to start working together to save the sport.

At the AGM, the decisions made MUST be to support BOTH our top leagues & any rule changes made to simplify our sport taking away any interpretations & rulings by the MC.

The combined one race format has worked this year with the averages now being REAL in both leagues.

Team building, in 2018, has to reflect the difference in leagues as the Promotion/Relegation ruling has proved to be a farce. No rider can race in all 3 leagues as some riders have been shown to be out of their depth so it must be a progression of NL to CL then to PL. The PL to have NO rider less than a 4.00 point average. All teams to have at least 3 British riders of which 1 to be the no7.

If the league make up is to change & talk is of 12 teams in the PL then the fixtures must account for this as this will reduce the number of teams in the CL. Fixtures could then be KOC at start of season & fixtures take precedence over league until completion. The league fixtures of once only home & away with an end of season Play-offs for top teams & Shield/Cup for lower teams to keep season of interest. If this amount of fixtures could be fitted in then our racing calendar has to adjust to the International calendar of the GP's where a season end date of mid October would help with the last race of the season, the Melbourne GP. As has been found out this last week, some riders have already packed up with some teams having remaining fixtures, struggling to find guests for injured riders or doubling/trebling up riders.