British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

British Speedway 2018

One big league has got to be the way.

It was the salvation of speedway in 1965, maybe it could be again.

Like yourself and many others I would like to see one big league and believe it could play a significant part in reviving UK speedway. But it does seem as if that is not going to be the way the BSPA are going. They still believe that Big Names will Plump Up the terraces. It's failed before and will fail again if that is what does come out of Tenerife. The return of Iversen to King's Lynn will not do the trick for example.

• Like 2

I think the addition of Iversen at Kings Lynn and Vaculick at Leicester is far more likely to increase attendances than Edinburgh traveling to Poole or Lakeside to Glasgow in a one league structure.

Once the novelty had worn off with one big league it would just be sides who were miles apart in terms of talent and travel distance for fans. It would increase the number of poorly attended meetings across a season as there would be less local fixtures and chances to attract away fans, while likely not growing an organic attendance each week anyway as most teams would be getting thumped each week in a non-competitive league where the rich would be good and the rest wouldn't.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 3

I think the addition of Iversen at Kings Lynn and Vaculick at Leicester is far more likely to increase attendances than Edinburgh traveling to Poole or Lakeside to Glasgow in a one league structure.

Once the novelty had worn off with one big league it would just be sides who were miles apart in terms of talent and travel distance for fans. It would increase the number of poorly attended meetings across a season as there would be less local fixtures and chances to attract away fans, while likely not growing an organic attendance each week anyway as most teams would be getting thumped each week in a non-competitive league where the rich would be good and the rest wouldn't.

Going for one big league has certainly worked in the past.

• Like 1

Like yourself and many others I would like to see one big league and believe it could play a significant part in reviving UK speedway. But it does seem as if that is not going to be the way the BSPA are going. They still believe that Big Names will Plump Up the terraces. It's failed before and will fail again if that is what does come out of Tenerife. The return of Iversen to King's Lynn will not do the trick for example.

The Big league failed last time .so using you logic that you should not try things that have not worked before it's surely a no go in your book .

• Like 1

Going for one big league has certainly worked in the past.

I assume you were also a fan of 6 man teams and the year sides raced in the ridiculous morph suits, Swindon in green and white squares next season?

We can only wait and see. Hopefully you are right and I am wrong. But the story of the last 20 years does not indicate an upswing in UK attendances.

I assume you were also a fan of 6 man teams and the year sides raced in the ridiculous morph suits, Swindon in green and white squares next season?

Six man teams are better than no man teams, I'm not that interested in what they wear. Anyway we look to be having pretty much more of the same thing, with the exception of fixed race nights for the Premiership.

I started watching Speedway in 1963 and when the British League started in 1965 it was the start of a new successful era.

That was a long time ago and as much as I would like to see one big league again, this is definitely not the time.

Firstly we do not have enough riders for one league and secondly some of the lower Championship sides would not be able to cope financially in one big league... even if there were enough riders.

Fixed nights for the top league are without a doubt a step in the right direction in order to stop all of the missing riders due to clashes with other matches.

The key part for me is how many teams in the Premier League next year ?..... plenty of guessing going on but not long to find out

• Like 3

The main reason that the last league amalgamation did not work was because promotors only thought of themselves & would not see the big picture & allow a rider control to get the league established.

• Like 2

I started watching Speedway in 1963 and when the British League started in 1965 it was the start of a new successful era.

That was a long time ago and as much as I would like to see one big league again, this is definitely not the time.

Firstly we do not have enough riders for one league and secondly some of the lower Championship sides would not be able to cope financially in one big league... even if there were enough riders.

Fixed nights for the top league are without a doubt a step in the right direction in order to stop all of the missing riders due to clashes with other matches.

The key part for me is how many teams in the Premier League next year ?..... plenty of guessing going on but not long to find out

More than this year I would bet. :mad::mad::mad:

I wonder how many Teams will be robbed from the Championship to prop up the so called Premier League? :mad::mad::mad:

The main reason that the last league amalgamation did not work was because promotors only thought of themselves & would not see the big picture & allow a rider control to get the league established.

Especially to your team Middlesborough. No one would release a second heat leader to the 'Boro and you had to take Shane Parker who was not up to it at that stage at that time.

More than this year I would bet. :mad::mad::mad:

I wonder how many Teams will be robbed from the Championship to prop up the so called Premier League? :mad::mad::mad:

You can bet on at least two.

You can bet on at least two.

As you infer wtg28 - it could be even more . :sad::sad::sad:

• Like 1

As you infer wtg28 - it could be even more . :sad::sad::sad:

Lakeside look to be going into the Championship now so they can avoid the fixed nights of the premiership, so that (if it happens) should be good news and add a much needed southern side.

• Like 1

Lakeside look to be going into the Championship now so they can avoid the fixed nights of the premiership, so that (if it happens) should be good news and add a much needed southern side.

Helps with numbers of Teams too.

• Like 1