British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

British Speedway 2018

We can only wait and see. Hopefully you are right and I am wrong. But the story of the last 20 years does not indicate an upswing in UK attendances.

PERSONALLY think that a combination of riders like Iversen and Vaculik racing here allied to settled teams, regular fixtures, no golden double and fewer guests would certainly be a recipe for improved attendances.

• Like 8

PERSONALLY think that a combination of riders like Iversen and Vaculik racing here allied to settled teams, regular fixtures, no golden double and fewer guests would certainly be a recipe for improved attendances.

I think you're probably right, the only question mark is whether those 'improved attendances' are improved enough to pay the wage bill.

Especially to your team Middlesborough. No one would release a second heat leader to the 'Boro and you had to take Shane Parker who was not up to it at that stage at that time.

Assume you mean they had to take Shane Parker as their No 1?

He averaged 8.54, on the face of it seems decent, but in a league of that size is way off what you need from a No 1.

Robert Nagy and Scott Robson their other 'heat leaders'.

Assume you mean they had to take Shane Parker as their No 1?

He averaged 8.54, on the face of it seems decent, but in a league of that size is way off what you need from a No 1.

Robert Nagy and Scott Robson their other 'heat leaders'.

No

Tsunami was reffering to the fact that none of the Division 1 tracks would not release a second heat leader from their 1994 squads to Boro which was needed to staff the 'promoted' Division Two sides for 1995 and give reasonably equal teams.

Shane Parker was as good as they got and he was not a heat leader at Ipswich 1994, he was about 4th in their averages.

He obviously became a heat leader and number 1 alongside the other two by default as they were just the top three in a very weak side.

No where near the averages, or standard, of heat leaders of other sides in the expanded league of 1995.

I would be delighted to see the end of the tactical ride in2018.

Has it's down sides though! What dross excuse will TWK talk about to explain away not going to speedway?

I'm offering good odds on "they race on bikes"

I think there will definitely be some 'bounce back' as there will be a certain novelty value at the start of the season..

The biggest opportunity though is (if as is suggested), Monday and Thursday nights are set aside it will mean no clashes with FIM, SEC, and the myriad of National Championships around Europe which the top riders will be by definition, competing in....

Obviously the threat is that should the top riders still miss meetings for other 'various reasons' then the fans will be far more brassed off not seeing them in action than maybe lesser talents...

Let's hope that doesn't happen and we get regular meetings with septets that actually belong to the competing clubs...

And enough of a 'bounce back' in attendances cover the extra costs...

Edited by mikebv

Has it's down sides though! What dross excuse will TWK talk about to explain away not going to speedway?

I'm offering good odds on "they race on bikes"

Plonker!!!

• Like 2

No

Tsunami was reffering to the fact that none of the Division 1 tracks would not release a second heat leader from their 1994 squads to Boro which was needed to staff the 'promoted' Division Two sides for 1995 and give reasonably equal teams.

Shane Parker was as good as they got and he was not a heat leader at Ipswich 1994, he was about 4th in their averages.

He obviously became a heat leader and number 1 alongside the other two by default as they were just the top three in a very weak side.

No where near the averages, or standard, of heat leaders of other sides in the expanded league of 1995.

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick here..

Try reading my post again, then tell me where I disagreed with Tsunami's post. I was merely adding flesh to it.

It also highlights a point I've been making on another thread.. the size of a league dictates how good you may think riders are. The more teams.. the more higher averaged riders.. Parker in a 13 heat format would likely be averaging 9.50 that season.. expand that over a six/seven year period and he's remembered as a solid No 1.. whereas the reality is he was some way below the level of the 'real' No 1's in the league.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Golden Double won't make a jot of difference to improved attendances in the big picture it's irrelevant .

• Like 1

Golden Double won't make a jot of difference to improved attendances in the big picture it's irrelevant .

Attendance at Newcastle would go up by one orion. :o;):)

• Like 1

Attendance at Newcastle would go up by one orion. :o;):)

Not sure looking at the weather there is a cold winter coming :P .

• Like 1

no it won't but there isn't one single thing that would make a difference - its lots of things - the joker/double points being just one

guests being another, etc etc

no it won't but there isn't one single thing that would make a difference - its lots of things - the joker/double points being just one

guests being another, etc etc

Of course one thing can make a massive difference ..having fixed race nights meaning more chance of full teams with increase crowds overall in a big way . while the changing double points wont change anything on it's own . Changing the double points means nothing .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Not sure looking at the weather there is a cold winter coming :P .

Cheeky sod!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: