British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BFMDan

Please Teach This "yankee"

Extremely embarrassing elementary question . . . but, um, can someone explain to me the meaning of phrases like this:

"13 paid 14 points"

"Milik was Wroclaw’s hero on 15 points, with Woffinden adding nine paid 11"

"Dudek collecting 10 paid 11 and Jaroslaw Hampel registering nine paid 10"

I'm not quite understanding the "paid" nomenclature.

Being over here in The States, I don't get to watch anything but the G.P.'s (and these days not much of those either - as they've started blocking the youtube stream :( ) - so, I'm used to simply counting up points through the event.

Thank you in advance,

HB

They are bonus points for being behind a teammate in a 5-1 or 3-3

One point to note is that in Poland they don`t pay the bonus if there is not 4 finishers.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

Aha! So, a "Paid Point" is the same as saying "Bonus Point"?

So, "nine paid 10" means the rider earned nine finishing position points and was also awarded an additional 'bonus point' for a scenario such as you described.

Clear enough.

Thanks!

HB

They are bonus points for being behind a teammate in a 5-1 or 3-3

Just one further point- Phil Rising has said recently that the official GP youtube screening of the GP`s are not blocked to the USA - they just use a different channel- I cannot however find how to access it.

• Like 1

Aha! So, a "Paid Point" is the same as saying "Bonus Point"?

So, "nine paid 10" means the rider earned nine finishing position points and was also awarded an additional 'bonus point' for a scenario such as you described.

Clear enough.

Thanks!

HB

They also count towards formulating a rider's average.

Not in the UK they don`t(official averages- green sheets)

Are they not included any longer?

They used to be I'm sure?

Edited by steve roberts

Ooohhh, interesting. Please pass along any information you can. ;)

HB

Just one further point- Phil Rising has said recently that the official GP youtube screening of the GP`s are not blocked to the USA - they just use a different channel- I cannot however find how to access it.

There's a app/page called motor trend on demand. It's a pay site, pretty cheap that the US use, I have it in aussie, can't watch the GP's as we have it on Foxtel but I get to watch all your car shows from over there. DD.

So THAT explains it! I always used to watch the live streams here, but this year it has been really annoying to lose that...

Steve

And for the real newcomers to the sport "bonus" or "paid" points were originally introduced to encourage that now dying art of "team riding" whereby an experienced rider could help a more junior team-mate to get home ahead of the opposition without it costing him hard earned cash! Also designed to stop two team mates going at it hammer and tong for the extra point (and cash). I add this post simply because I was asked the very same question on the Isle of Wight, when I was visiting, by a first timer who wanted to know why a rider in second was not trying to pass for first place. We long time fans tend to take this sort of knowledge for granted. In fact, the Isle of Wight actually now go through the basics of the sport before meetings for the new comers, which I thought was a typically thoughtful approach from the promotion to ensure new potential fans got more from the night.

• Like 4

And for the real newcomers to the sport "bonus" or "paid" points were originally introduced to encourage that now dying art of "team riding" whereby an experienced rider could help a more junior team-mate to get home ahead of the opposition without it costing him hard earned cash! Also designed to stop two team mates going at it hammer and tong for the extra point (and cash). I add this post simply because I was asked the very same question on the Isle of Wight, when I was visiting, by a first timer who wanted to know why a rider in second was not trying to pass for first place. We long time fans tend to take this sort of knowledge for granted. In fact, the Isle of Wight actually now go through the basics of the sport before meetings for the new comers, which I thought was a typically thoughtful approach from the promotion to ensure new potential fans got more from the night.

We also have a leaflet which we give out to first timers, which has gone down really well with our guests.

Barry

• Like 2