British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scaramanga

Workington Posts To Beat The Unoffical Forum Closing

I know there will be a multitude of different reasons why the Workington public appear to have turned their back on the Comets, and I for one would be very interested to hear why they have stopped attending.

The pulling of the unofficial Comets forum doesn't help, however only the die hard fans would read this in any case.

Perhaps the local paper could run a story, both in newsprint and on line to try to get people to air their views and/or grievances.

Whilst there has been apparent problems off the track, this years speedway has been entertaining on very well prepared tracks, and we have been privileged (most weeks) to watch the British Champion in action.

I know British Speedway is in a bit of a mess at present, and we all have our own ideas how we think it could be improved and how our riding order should be tweaked etc. but maybe it comes down to whether people want to watch live sport or sit on their backsides watching Sky Sports et al.

It is quite sad to see that most of the support for the club seems to be coming from supporters of other teams, who have openly said they don't want to see the Comets disappear.

As for the locals, unfortunately it seems as if it is going to be a case of not realising what you had until its gone.

• Like 4

What a shame to read this thread which seems indicative of a general malaise in UK speedway.

Always found Workington to be an excellent venue, easy to get to, free parking, variety of viewing options for spectators etc. Arguably have the services of the league's best number 1 and a team which looked like it could achieve silverware this year.

Have to agree that poor communication seems to be a problem with many teams when spectators don't know until the very last minute who will be riding (or more to the point who will not be riding). Surprised that team selection seems to be an issue as most team managers normally have a pretty good handle on this, but I guess maybe there are exceptions.

Sincerely hope that the Comets do complete their outstanding fixtures and run next year

Jacko never tries anything new and that may very well be the underlying issue with rider performance?

Perhaps certain riders are not comfortable in their current position and feel a change may help, poor scores could be a reflection of this as in my, and probably in many other people's opinion as well, I dont expect riders to become bad overnight yet ours, over the course of a few seasons now, seem to do exactly that?

No one will want to ride badly deliberately as it's their job to earn money but something has to be wrong in the structure for this to be the almost regular finish to a Comets season no matter who rides here? :unsure:

As for the Keith Denham issue mentioned earlier, the guy did invest a lot into the club but his "my way or the highway" attitude alienated an awful lot of people, including riders I'd hazard to say, and that takes some getting over, I've no idea if he's still got an influence down there but the current management characteristics are very similar in nature?

A good clear out was mooted on another thread and that may very well need to be the case if this club is to survive, who takes over and how is one for the winter? ;)

I know there will be a multitude of different reasons why the Workington public appear to have turned their back on the Comets, and I for one would be very interested to hear why they have stopped attending.

The pulling of the unofficial Comets forum doesn't help, however only the die hard fans would read this in any case.

Perhaps the local paper could run a story, both in newsprint and on line to try to get people to air their views and/or grievances.

Whilst there has been apparent problems off the track, this years speedway has been entertaining on very well prepared tracks, and we have been privileged (most weeks) to watch the British Champion in action.

I know British Speedway is in a bit of a mess at present, and we all have our own ideas how we think it could be improved and how our riding order should be tweaked etc. but maybe it comes down to whether people want to watch live sport or sit on their backsides watching Sky Sports et al.

It is quite sad to see that most of the support for the club seems to be coming from supporters of other teams, who have openly said they don't want to see the Comets disappear.

As for the locals, unfortunately it seems as if it is going to be a case of not realising what you had until its gone.

This line says it all, most locals have already made that clear and aren't really bothered one way or the other, just remember that Workington Town RL had everything going for them during the nineties and look what a mess they made of the Golden Egg?

It's not just about the Comets, everything sporting in this town relies on success to survive due to our location, yet that's something that only makes a rare and fleeting appearance in these parts and you have to grab it, our sports just aren't quick enough to capitalise on it when it does? ;)

What gets me (as an outsider), when Keith Denham was in charge, people criticised him and voted with their feet and said "we won't be back until he goes." He went and when the current Promotion took over, the crowds came back, but the club seem to be in a similar position again now.

So the question is, "what, exactly, do the speedway fans of Workington actually want?"

bang on the mark there

all the promises that were made regarding we wont shut you out and well listern and learn and keep you informed were stuck too wernt they oh sorry no they wernt

personaly my view is workington is a great place to watch speedway

weve had some decent teams and at times promotors have tried hard

the bad side is some of the promotoes will go all out regardless of right or wrong to prove they are in charge

its all a supply and demand thing

it dosnt matter how much you want to do things your way if thoose who are paying dont agree you wont have a customer base

its like marmite sandwichs 1 person might love them but theres no way you will make a living by opening a shop that only sell marmite

you have to give the customers something there reasnobly happy with or they wont come back

the only real difference is when denham took over he lost about 200 straight away by sacking some staff and banning others he didnt want in and there friends and family went with them

thats another thing you have to considor

sometimes 1 person going or stopping to go can also take another 2 or 3 with them if there a influential type of person

Edited by scarra

I think the problems this year have been a mixture if I'm honest. First of all the 1st bit mistake was signing Roynon in the 1st place, he never got out the reserve berth for a full season prior to this, his equipment and attitude looked questionable an to be honest he was never going to improve. Worth a risk by the promotion? I'm 50/50 on It, as we've seen the rider he could be/once was. I think it's time now that folk accept Adam Roynon is where he is going to be now. Such a shame injury ruined a potentially great rider as imo baring injury he would be a even better rider that Craig cook is right now.

The replacement which ever way you look at it has been a complete disaster. That's why imo if an it's a massive if, we do run next year then we need someone who has a knowledge of riding a speedway bike, can spot a rider, would help bring a team spirit an would interact with the crowd. I know just the man for the job, a man who has been seen a lot more at Derwent park this season, an the biggest part of it is that it's a man who the riders and fans would up most respect. I don't think I need to spell it out who the person in question is.

The bspa hav done the sport (not just workington) no favours this season. In face it's all a bit of a shambles.

The promotion should imo listen to the crowd a little more, how about a suggestion boxed where u could put forward things that would improve speedway on a saturday night? Granted I know some would be acceptable an some not, but hence it would be a suggestion box an not a criticism box.

Finally us the fans, I hav had my moans this season I can't deny that, an I do in a way feel for the promotion giving some quite frankly stupid rules brought In this season, but maybe we should get down to Derwent park for the last few meetings, adept that mistakes have been made an hopefully have our great club to suport next season.

Can I finally just add that despite some of the problems this year the racing has been excellent so hat's of to all involved with that one. If only we could get rid if the deadly silence an have some upbeat music playing to help the atmosphere.

Here hoping for next year, I would be geninually gutted if we loose it.

• Like 3

I think the problems this year have been a mixture if I'm honest. First of all the 1st bit mistake was signing Roynon in the 1st place, he never got out the reserve berth for a full season prior to this, his equipment and attitude looked questionable an to be honest he was never going to improve. Worth a risk by the promotion? I'm 50/50 on It, as we've seen the rider he could be/once was. I think it's time now that folk accept Adam Roynon is where he is going to be now. Such a shame injury ruined a potentially great rider as imo baring injury he would be a even better rider that Craig cook is right now.

The replacement which ever way you look at it has been a complete disaster. That's why imo if an it's a massive if, we do run next year then we need someone who has a knowledge of riding a speedway bike, can spot a rider, would help bring a team spirit an would interact with the crowd. I know just the man for the job, a man who has been seen a lot more at Derwent park this season, an the biggest part of it is that it's a man who the riders and fans would up most respect. I don't think I need to spell it out who the person in question is.

The bspa hav done the sport (not just workington) no favours this season. In face it's all a bit of a shambles.

The promotion should imo listen to the crowd a little more, how about a suggestion boxed where u could put forward things that would improve speedway on a saturday night? Granted I know some would be acceptable an some not, but hence it would be a suggestion box an not a criticism box.

Finally us the fans, I hav had my moans this season I can't deny that, an I do in a way feel for the promotion giving some quite frankly stupid rules brought In this season, but maybe we should get down to Derwent park for the last few meetings, adept that mistakes have been made an hopefully have our great club to suport next season.

Can I finally just add that despite some of the problems this year the racing has been excellent so hat's of to all involved with that one. If only we could get rid if the deadly silence an have some upbeat music playing to help the atmosphere.

Here hoping for next year, I would be geninually gutted if we loose it.

agree with most your post not all

if roynon had clicked soon enough hed have been a match winner

i too hope comets are not lost again

but things need to change both on and off track

the speedway weve had is no way near as bad as the season weve had

Jacko never tries anything new and that may very well be the underlying issue with rider performance?

Perhaps certain riders are not comfortable in their current position and feel a change may help, poor scores could be a reflection of this as in my, and probably in many other people's opinion as well, I dont expect riders to become bad overnight yet ours, over the course of a few seasons now, seem to do exactly that?

No one will want to ride badly deliberately as it's their job to earn money but something has to be wrong in the structure for this to be the almost regular finish to a Comets season no matter who rides here? :unsure:

As for the Keith Denham issue mentioned earlier, the guy did invest a lot into the club but his "my way or the highway" attitude alienated an awful lot of people, including riders I'd hazard to say, and that takes some getting over, I've no idea if he's still got an influence down there but the current management characteristics are very similar in nature?

A good clear out was mooted on another thread and that may very well need to be the case if this club is to survive, who takes over and how is one for the winter? ;)

Was it not part of the buyout by Laura to buy out Denham and then announced as the Comets main sponsor. He was in the riders enclosure a couple of weeks ago when Newcastle were the opposition in both meetings.

denham still goes almost every week

for all he had a part to play in loosing fans keith is still a big speedway fan

i think both keith and laura have been the right people to buy workington comets at the right time

but they were not the right people to run it keith was/is too power crazy and laura has the wrong people around her from some stories im told and not just around speedway

as for tonight mason guesting aggain for ipswich 5+1 riding at no.3

i am sorry to say this , but the management team and any other involved in the running of workington speedway have gone into , the cant see me mode .

its a shame because laura seemed a genuine person and was always there to answer questions ,

it really does look like the end of workington speedway .

there are no more genuine promoters left to help save a once great club .

Meanwhile you slag off the Glasgow promotion for promoting and keeping the fans in the know.

The Facenna brothers saved Glasgow from extinction but not only that put them on the speedway map. You are a troubled little man jenga.

• Like 3

i , okay .

but i aint that little !

i take you have music at cashfield then ?

can you provide a link/post that says i have slagged them off for promoting .

Edited by jenga

Was it not part of the buyout by Laura to buy out Denham and then announced as the Comets main sponsor. He was in the riders enclosure a couple of weeks ago when Newcastle were the opposition in both meetings.

Probably, but that's why I said he may still have an influence being the team sponsor, he'll still be looking for a return on the investment ie: success and he ain't getting it, he's a businessman and not the type to take failure "lying down"? ;)

i think there was a clause in the by out that laura had to run for 3 years , otherwise the tyrant denham took control of the speedway again . but i dont think he would have run it again .

no money involved in the sponsorship of workington speedway at all . just equipment supplied and running costs covered . i do believe .

but kd still attended the home meetings , fair play to him .

• Like 1

i think there was a clause in the by out that laura had to run for 3 years , otherwise the tyrant denham took control of the speedway again . but i dont think he would have run it again .

no money involved in the sponsorship of workington speedway at all . just equipment supplied and running costs covered . i do believe .

but kd still attended the home meetings , fair play to him .

I always liked Keith,I suppose it's a Workington thing, local guy does well doesn't go down well, we have the same problem in Berwick, Berwick folk cannot stand another Berwicker to do well

• Like 1

I always liked Keith,I suppose it's a Workington thing, local guy does well doesn't go down well, we have the same problem in Berwick, Berwick folk cannot stand another Berwicker to do well

ask most of his staff if hes a nice man

Ask Workington Speedway if it could survive without the support of Thomas Armstrong.

got nothing to do with him being a nice man or not

we all know keith is a big speedway fan and has put a lot of his own money in never mind the sponsership from the company

successful buisness men and nice men are not usually found in the same person

Edited by scarra