British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway Team Mascots

An aspect of speedway that is now seemingly lost to the sport was Team Mascots. One of the most famous in pre-war years (up to 1939) was Ian Hoskins at West Ham, the son of the legendary Johnnie Hoskins.

Does anyone remember Ian and for that matter any other team mascots. Another was Midlands used in post-war seasons was Kid Bodie aka Howard Cole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Cole_(speedway_rider)

Edited by Guest

Alun Rossiter at Swindon and Mark Loram at Hackney are the two that stay with me.

I think Nigel De'Ath may have been the Oxford mascot once?

From the mid seventies at Hyde Road ... Allan Ryder and Rob Carter

And from The Shay in the late seventies through to mid eighties ... Max Schofield.

It's strange but I remember these names and their team associations of Mascots from thirty years ago better than some of those of fully feldged team members of the last couple of years.

It says a lot about much of what is currently wrong with British Speedway.

Edited by Grand Central

Did Wembley have a real Lion as a mascot?Thought one team did have an animal,rather like the Cologne football team have a live goat as a mascot rather than those people dressed up in costumes that are now popular

At the New National League 4TT Finals held on 17 July 1976 at King's Lynn all the participating teams had mascots.

Here' a list of teams and their mascots (ages are in brackets)

Rye House Troy Pratt (8)

Eastbourne Martin Dugard (7)

Workington Gary Havelock (7)

Ellesmere Port Stuart Ford (10)

Newcastle Paul Cook (11)

Coatbridge Albert Richardson (12)

Peterborough Andrew Buck (13)

Boston Michael Holding (11)

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 2

At Ipswich we had:

Ben Howe

Savalas Clouting

Shaun Tacey

Leigh Lanham

Scott Nicholls

At Hackney:

Paul Whittaker

Mark Loram

Joe Screen

Paul Hurry

And i seem to remember that the best youngster coming through around that time was Justin Elkins who never amounted to much

I think that there should be, and was, a distinction between a young guy who happened to have rides at a track before turning sixteen.

And a genuine Team Mascot.

I dont think that Joe would describe himself as Hackney Mascot. Ever.

Alun Rossiter, Troy Pratt, Martin Dugard, Max Schofield and quite a few others definetely were.

But some of the others being mentioned ... I am not so sure they were true 'mascots' as such

Edited by Grand Central