British Speedway Forum
Cliffeboy

Somerset V Wolverhampton 22.9.17

Just get this in before we start. Looking for a Rebels win but probably by not enough. Very tired at the end of a long and quite frankly not a good season, all this arguing about who said what at what time etc etc etc yawn, roll on next year.

• Like 3

Feel for Jacob...in the last 7 days he has gone from Manchester to Poland back to Manchester to Sweden to Somerset to Sweden (GP) He even tried to come back to Wolves inbetween Sweden & Somerset but that would have meant another trip back to Sweden.

If only time machines existed!!

Feel for Jacob...in the last 7 days he has gone from Manchester to Poland back to Manchester to Sweden to Somerset to Sweden (GP) He even tried to come back to Wolves inbetween Sweden & Somerset but that would have meant another trip back to Sweden.

If only time machines existed!!

4 postponed meetings amongst all that travelling is quite unfortunate!

• Like 1

One announcement made me laugh earlier when they were debating the track conditions was that 'Wolverhampton riders were not keen to ride with so many big meetings coming up for them' ......... hang on I guess that was both of them there tonight then?? :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Just get this in before we start. Looking for a Rebels win but probably by not enough. Very tired at the end of a long and quite frankly not a good season, all this arguing about who said what at what time etc etc etc yawn, roll on next year.

Same at Poole mate all been quiet a struggle this season.

Edited by Starman2006

An idea has occurred for teams for next year, clubs do NOT sign riders for the year instead all teams are allocated a meeting budget, all riders are in a pool and each promoter forms the nights team up to the meeting budget limit. Picking 7 from the pool. Idea inspired by CVS

• Like 2

An idea has occurred for teams for next year, clubs do NOT sign riders for the year instead all teams are allocated a meeting budget, all riders are in a pool and each promoter forms the nights team up to the meeting budget limit. Picking 7 from the pool. Idea inspired by CVS

For me, just get any random 14 riders at each meeting...

(Invite say 20 just in case some have to be elsewhere due to unforseen circumstances)..

Two Captains get nominated by the Ref (usually the best two riders)....

All the other riders line up against a wall...

Both Captains turn round while the Ref gives out numbers to those against the wall.

(This should be done randomly though, the Ref shouldn't just go Number One from the left, Number Two to the next rider etc as this would quickly be worked out by the Captains)

The Captains then take it in turn to shout out numbers, six each team ..

When their number gets called the riders stand behind their Captain...

When all participants are chosen the Ref can review the level of equality.

He, or she, walks in between the two lines of riders and exchanges riders from team to team as he, or she, sees fit, grabbing each rider they want to move by the arm and physically moving them over to the other side.

He, or she, then returns to the front of the two line ups, takes a few paces back to review the teams closely one last time, and if satisfied relatively equal, he, or she, then announces the meeting can start...

When the moaning has stopped from the Captains about losing some of their best mates to the opposition, the racing will begin....

What does everyone think?

Idea inspired by Our Lady's Primary School, Stockport. Circa 1978...

😁

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 7

Trevor Redmond ran his 'holiday' meetings at St Austell through the late 50s using scratch teams called Cornwall, St Austell, England etc get Colin Pratt telling stories about his times riding in those meetings.

Is anyone from Wolverhampton way able to tell me when they wish to try again to race this meeting at Somerset? I guess they have probably already announced it but I haven't seen it yet. :o:P:D

• Like 2

Is anyone from Wolverhampton way able to tell me when they wish to try again to race this meeting at Somerset? I guess they have probably already announced it but I haven't seen it yet. :o:P:D

Im not sure they have mate..

Anytime will do. In effect you are OUT.😷

• Like 1

Well we always offered the 29th but Gary May didn't want that in case we had a full team

• Like 1