British Speedway Forum

Need reserves that are capable of improving. Not like this year where we went with the mantra "as long as our boy beats the other team's number 7." Richie Worrall looking for a Club?

Agree Richie wouuld nae be a bad number 7 :wink::wink::wink:

Josh pickering

Erik Riss

James Sarjeant

Mark Riss

Richie worrall

Cameron heaps

Theo pijpe/ Ashley Morris

Weather it fits or not I don't know

if brits still get a reduction here's a great team :lol:

Sam Masters

Joshie Pickering

Mason Campton

Mark Riss

Ritchie Worrall

Dan Bewley

James Sarjeant

If as rumoured, the Premiership moves to a 12 team league, is their any chance Edinburgh could be one of the four moving up?

If as rumoured, the Premiership moves to a 12 team league, is their any chance Edinburgh could be one of the four moving up?

Cant see any of the Northern teams moving up . An increased Premiership would only interest Peterborough and Ipswich as they are a bit isolated geographically in our division . Sheffield too could conceivably move up . But the rest of us are more suited to what we have , a predominately northern league .

• Like 5

Cant see any of the Northern teams moving up . An increased Premiership would only interest Peterborough and Ipswich as they are a bit isolated geographically in our division . Sheffield too could conceivably move up . But the rest of us are more suited to what we have , a predominately northern league .

All that makes perfect sense to me. Add in Lakeside potentially choosing to take their top tier licence 'off ice' and you have the 4 to make 12.

Also cant see the promtion/relegation meetings actually meaning anything when it comes to which leaugue either team will end up in.

• Like 2

The difference in standard between the two leagues is nothing like what it used to be. Time for a north and south division then the cup compettions and pairs/fours as a total country?

• Like 1

The difference in standard between the two leagues is nothing like what it used to be. Time for a north and south division then the cup compettions and pairs/fours as a total country?

Plus apart from about a dozen riders , it's the same riders in both leagues

Plus apart from about a dozen riders , it's the same riders in both leagues

At my last count a while ago, of the 56 riders declared, 34 rode in at least 2 teams!

• Like 1

Ricky Wells 8.85
Mason Campton 5.73
Broc Nicol 5.00

Mark Riss 5.68

Erik Riss 8.05

Josh Pickering 4.62

2 Pointer 2.00

= 39.93

Obviously I'm not an Edinburgh fan but does this seem likely?

KJ's season review

Ricky: the first Kiwi to ride for the club since 19canteen. Added almost a point to his starting average and so, from that perspective, he was a roaring success.

Obviously doesn't like heat 1, given that we lost 4 1-5's out of 5 he was involved in. However, he did boast the highest away average by some distance. His most impressive stat was 7 wins and 1 paid win from 11 heat 15's on the road.

Back in 2018? Difficult one. Is his average now too high? Who knows? Answers on a postcard.

Sam: a disappointing season for the skipper. Not only did his average fall by almost half a point, his away average was pretty poor (just over 7.50). In many ways he was the polar opposite of Ricky. His heat 1 record was something to be proud of (at home anyway) with 11 wins from 14 but heat 15 was a massive let down - 5 wins out of 20 all season, including only 1 win in 10 on his travels.

It's probably worth noting Sam didn't appear in any heat 15 since his return from injury. But while the collarbone break may have affected him after his comeback, his average was already down prior to that crash.

His performance at the Australian GP probably summed up his campaign for me.

Back in 2018? I guess so. He is our asset. And we all know there's a rider in there somewhere. Just sort out the away form please!

the superior Riss: the biggest compliment I can offer is that watching him ride reminded me of when Craig Cook was making that move to the next level. Suddenly everything just started to click.

Barring the odd meeting, his score charts did tend to slide away at the business end of things but that's to be expected. New territory and all that.

Back in 2018? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. And, no, that wasn't my Meg Ryan impression!

Sadly, I think the talented German has bigger fish to fry in the future...

the inferior Riss: achieved the largest increase of any Monarchs' rider in 2017. However, dig a little deeper and there is cause for concern. Yes he started off like a train at reserve, and hats off to him for that, but when he moved into the top 5 he turned into something of a nondescript performer. Once there, he won only 8 races (3 pre-injury and 5 upon return = the same total as the unfairly criticised Max Clegg), averaging only 4.60. You really need a lot more than that from your fourth highest rider.

Obviously doesn't handle pressure very well. Whether it be a last place on a TR a Sheffield or his going missing way too often in heat 14, the warning signs are flashing. Oh, and his performance for Wolves in the Premiership play-off final was positively laughable.

Back in 2018? For me, it comes down to a choice - who would you rather sign?

A - a second string on a 5.76 average, who could only muster 4.60 during his time in that part of the team; or

B - a reserve on a 4.15 average, who actually achieved 4.82 during his time in that part of the team.

Based on that evidence, there would be no room at the inn for the sunlounger grabber.

Josh: started off reasonably well, dropped off a bit, picked up again for a fortnight, then went back down again to something more approaching normality. Just a bog standard season for a youngster! It's all part of the learning process.

Not much else to say, except I like his kevlars. All hail pink!

Back in 2018? We have to. Otherwise, what was the point of signing him this year?

Max: the entertainer of the team. On 4 separate occasions (possibly even more) at sunny Armadale this season, Max pulled off more successful overtaking manoeuvres than the rest of the riders from both teams put together.

It seems a number of people were unhappy with his progress this year. More fool them. Prior to the meaningless end of season fixture at Peterborough, he had maintained his starting figure, despite spending almost two thirds of the season in the top 5.

As a reserve, he was much improved on previous years. With the exception of a paid win vs. Newcastle he won every heat 2 at home (6 in total), as well as another 3 victories on the road.

Back in 2018? Yes please. I like to stay awake on a Friday night and have no desire to spend my hard earned cash watching 15 processional snooze fests.

Mitchell: the much maligned Mr. Davey actually boasted the third highest average of all the number 7's in the league (hats off to Connor Mountain and Ellis Perks). Again, prior to the meaningless end of season fixture at Peterborough, he had improved upon his starting figure.

His head-to-head stats in the 'protected heats' aren't to be sniffed at either:

Heat 2 at home = 12 'wins' out of 18 against the opposing no.7

Heat 4 at home = 15 'wins' out of 18

Heat 2 away = 9 'wins' out of 18

Heat 4 away = 12 'wins' out of 17 (Jack Smith withdrawn in heat 2 at Glasgow, hence n/a)

All in all, an honourable comeback to the second tier of UK speedway. For all your efforts, I say, "thank you Mitchell".

Back in 2018? For whatever reason, I suspect he won't be involved.

Theo: I'll be honest, I would've preferred us to sign Kai Huckenbeck as the injury replacement for the inferior Riss. He would've made his debut one day before his Premiership average increased markedly and I couldn't find any fixture clashes for at least a month. However what actually happened was everyone's friend, Mr. Pijper, came in and lowered his average sufficiently to save his future career. 4.23 was that final figure, only marginally lower than the German's top 5 exploits, which meant we weren't really damaged too much as a team. "win win" as they say!

Back in 2018? Depending on rules and numbers, you never know...

NB: the stats used above are based on Championship fixtures only and do not include KO Cup ties or Play-offs.

• Like 1

wells back at workington next year ?

very unlikely

unless they have new owners :lol: