British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, Gavan said:

Being an Ipswich fan i have nothing against Edinburgh but that truly looks the worst side from Edinburgh ive seen for a long time.

A number 1 has left to be replaced by.....................nobody.

Wells and Riss as number one and 2 and the third heat leader is Mark Riss who spent some of last season at reserve. Pickering is ok then another newbie at second string. Looks a season of struggle to me though i may be wrong. But put this 1-7 up against Ipswich, Glasgow and Scunthorpe and its not even close

Did you complain about Covatti starting last season as a heat leader having been in reserve part of the season before?

As for losing #1 Masters and not replacing him. I make it, that with bonus points that Ricky Wells was Edinburgh number 1 in 2017 anyway, without bonus points it was a tie, with or wothout bonus points he was a better away rider. I fact, at present, there are only 3 riders with a higher average than Ricky Wells in the Championship! (Worrall, King and Morris). There are only 11 with a higher average than Erik Riss too and he's improving at quite a rate.

Mark Riss while not a great 3rd heat leader did have a last 10 meetings average higher than his final average so his form is going the right way too.

I'd suggest that while this Edinburgh team doesn't look like favourites for the league it'll be another teams that strong at home and can pull it out of the bag a few times away from home. If one of the lower order riders does click (and they'll basically have 5 riders that they'll be hoping could become the 3rd heatleader) then it could be a very good team.

its started already and we are still in Christmas mode !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gavan said:

Being an Ipswich fan i have nothing against Edinburgh but that truly looks the worst side from Edinburgh ive seen for a long time.

Wells and Riss as number one and 2 and the third heat leader is Mark Riss who spent some of last season at reserve. Pickering is ok then another newbie at second string. Looks a season of struggle to me though i may be wrong. But put this 1-7 up against Ipswich, Glasgow and Scunthorpe and its not even close

Lol - gavin's still on the Xmas sherry!!

5 hours ago, Gavan said:

Edinburgh have Joel Andersson and he will make a mockery of his average. Erik Riss has improved year on year. Pickering will only get better. 

1 hour ago, SCB said:

Mark Riss while not a great 3rd heat leader did have a last 10 meetings average higher than his final average so his form is going the right way too.

Where did you get your stats for that Sir?

Mark Riss's last ten Championship meetings saw an average of only 4.67. Nowhere near his 2018 starting average of 5.76.

Even taking into account the play off meeting at home to Ipswich, and losing his visit to Sheffield, the figures would only improve marginally, up to 4.88, still almost a full point below.

Erik Riss is ready to be a 'real' no1

Mark Riss and Andersson will both be big improvers and Pickering will add a bit too

Edinburgh wont be too far away and will certainly be competitive

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 2

Whilst I wholeheartedly applaud the jettisoning of both Clegg and Davey, as I said earlier in the thread, this Edinburgh side does nothing to inspire or excited me.

32 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Where did you get your stats for that Sir?

Mark Riss's last ten Championship meetings saw an average of only 4.67. Nowhere near his 2018 starting average of 5.76.

Even taking into account the play off meeting at home to Ipswich, and losing his visit to Sheffield, the figures would only improve marginally, up to 4.88, still almost a full point below.

Oops yeah, I appear to have looked at his average with bonus points. Does make his signing a bit odd.

the thing here is people seem to forget that a entertaining team can get away with some poor results

and most of the time the fans will only see them at home which most of the time edinburgh can make good teams look mediocre

• Like 1

wow!

Sorry must remember to say Edinburgh look strong next time!

Sorry i cant see this team as anything other than 6th or 7th in my opinion and thats all it is opinion. 

Masters is a huge loss as the team just got in the play offs last season and now look much weaker without him.

Last season as heat leaders, Masters , Wells and Riss and this season Wells , Riss and Riss. Sorry but to me this seasons team doesnt look as good as last seasons which finished third. Ipswich , Sheffield, Glasgow and Scunthorpe and Lakeside already look stronger to me.

I may be wrong but thats what opinions are for

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SCB said:

Did you complain about Covatti starting last season as a heat leader having been in reserve part of the season before?

As for losing #1 Masters and not replacing him. I make it, that with bonus points that Ricky Wells was Edinburgh number 1 in 2017 anyway, without bonus points it was a tie, with or wothout bonus points he was a better away rider. I fact, at present, there are only 3 riders with a higher average than Ricky Wells in the Championship! (Worrall, King and Morris). There are only 11 with a higher average than Erik Riss too and he's improving at quite a rate.

I'd suggest that while this Edinburgh team doesn't look like favourites for the league it'll be another teams that strong at home and can pull it out of the bag a few times away from home. If one of the lower order riders does click (and they'll basically have 5 riders that they'll be hoping could become the 3rd heatleader) then it could be a very good team.

Covatti wasnt reserve for long he was on a false average from his time at Sheffield and quite clearly was heat leader material.

Ok so picking hairs but Masters, Wells and Riss is now Riss, Wells and Riss. Weaker heat leader trio than last season.

Pickering and Andersson need to hit the ground running for sure.

The team will or should do well on their tricky home track but cant see them getting to much away at all.

• Like 2

I agree the heat leader strength is very different from last season, but Smiler decided he had to drop a league because of his ridiculous fixture schedule and we were the one he had to drop.

We were also over the points limit and so had to make changes. 

But last season we suffered from the lack of points from our reserves especially away from home. 

So this season it's a change of approach with strength at the bottom end throughout the season and an expectation of big improvements from most of the team. 

It's a young team - Ricky is the old stager at just 26. Just a shame he has got injured out in Oz (as has Sedgy). 

But it's always good to be the unfancied team and JC & AH get it right far more often than not. 

1 hour ago, TheScotsman said:

I agree the heat leader strength is very different from last season, but Smiler decided he had to drop a league because of his ridiculous fixture schedule and we were the one he had to drop.

We were also over the points limit and so had to make changes. 

But last season we suffered from the lack of points from our reserves especially away from home. 

So this season it's a change of approach with strength at the bottom end throughout the season and an expectation of big improvements from most of the team. 

It's a young team - Ricky is the old stager at just 26. Just a shame he has got injured out in Oz (as has Sedgy). 

But it's always good to be the unfancied team and JC & AH get it right far more often than not. 

I agree with what you are saying its just i dont think this team is good enough, i may be wrong